Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Another thing I don't get (seems I don't get a lot about Rivian) is how do trucks end up at delivery/service centers without an Owner already lined-up. There's no way they can be making trucks in such wide assortments that it doesn't align with an existing order. Even if a third of people are bowing-out at the very end of the process for whatever reasons there has to be 1,000 or more lined up right behind them with the exact same specs.

Having any finished trucks arriving on service center lots without that VIN pre-assigned should be a one-in-a-thousand situation. And here's a guy that had two at the same center. Mind-boggling... :movember:
My guide says that these are trucks people didn't get financing on or chose not to go through with the purchase.

Not sure if there was ever a PBA for these trucks, but sounds like they do get shipped before the formal purchase process is started.
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Well this certainly seems to confirm that they just get a batch of trucks and go down a list calling people. And if there list is not in pre-order date order, it's just luck of the draw.
The component i think that really drives it is location. the thing that is a complete unknown is why the trucks are being shipped to which locations and what's the process for allocating them.

In the end i am not sure it's vehicle driven as the guide confirmed my order config and had i not wanted the truck on the lot they would have had to find another matching my config or build it.

but why i get a call and someone as an 8/20 order before someone else with a 6/20 order serms to come down to me being in Portland and then being somewhere else.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

8 steps unlocked. could have scheduled delivery for wed-friday this week but i am out of town. no slots open for next week at this point so i reached out to my guide on that. hoping we can do Monday the 23rd

8th step was immediately available the only step i have completed is uploading my license.

Reactions: JJA

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
8th step was immediately available the only step i have completed is uploading my license.
Iā€™m guessing that Step 8 (Scheduling) opens when your truck arrives at the service center for final prep and inspection. Regardless of what other steps you have completed. I was able to schedule prior to having Insurance, Financing, Contract or Payment completed. Steps 7 and 8 werenā€™t even open yet. Step 8 opened at the same time the service center txtā€™d me saying my truck had arrived.

JJA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Sienna, Mustang
Occupation
Engineer, business owner
Delivering to you in Gvl?
That sounds like the plan, they said it was in route to the SC. I asked which one and got crickets though...

Sponsored

JJA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Sienna, Mustang
Occupation
Engineer, business owner
8 steps unlocked. could have scheduled delivery for wed-friday this week but i am out of town. no slots open for next week at this point so i reached out to my guide on that. hoping we can do Monday the 23rd

you must be close enough for pickup maybe. Mine has been locked all day.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

you must be close enough for pickup maybe. Mine has been locked all day.
I'm <15 miles from the service center, so very close. But they are going to deliver it because they are in a temp location in Portland that can't accommodate customer pickups.

OP
OP

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
My guide tells me this morning that my vehicle is in assembly and still giving me 4-5 weeks for delivery (which would just be him hedging bets to the end of this window, since it shouldn't take that long if my vehicle is actually on the line), but I still have no VIN assigned. I replied and asked him when VIN gets assigned - after QC at the factory? I'd assume that if my vehicle is actually in assembly I should have a VIN available to me now, but I checked this morning and still don't have a real VIN in my account.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
It's my understanding that the "in production" state can be from beginning of being built until the service center receives the truck. 8 steps is anywhere from leaving the factory till SC. VIN is only shared during the 8 step because it can change up until that point. Well, and sometimes afterwards if there's damage discovered during transport or at the SC.

OP
OP

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Yes, my guide confirmed for me VIN won't be assigned until factory QC is done.

He's still saying 4-5 weeks but I know that's just a hedge. If mine is actually in assembly there's no way it takes that long unless something goes wrong.

EDIT: This all started because I test drove a Taycan yesterday and it got my R1T cravings super jacked up. Managed to get it up to 150mph on the highway and it was still pulling. Boy did the sales guy REAAAALY want me to buy one šŸ˜† It's a hell of a vehicle. If I were another year from an R1T, I'd have driven it off the lot for sure.

Reactions: TAZ

Sponsored

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Based on your contact date and my experience, I'd give it anther full week and ask your guide nicely again for the VIN. That's all I can say! And yeah the Taycan & R1T combo would be awesome!

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
My guide tells me this morning that my vehicle is in assembly and still giving me 4-5 weeks for delivery (which would just be him hedging bets to the end of this window, since it shouldn't take that long if my vehicle is actually on the line), but I still have no VIN assigned. I replied and asked him when VIN gets assigned - after QC at the factory? I'd assume that if my vehicle is actually in assembly I should have a VIN available to me now, but I checked this morning and still don't have a real VIN in my account.
My guideā€™s estimates:

9 days ago: 5-8 weeks
6 days ago: 3-4 weeks
4 days ago: 9 days

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Its been 8 weeks since my initial guide contact, but finally got a vehicleId assigned today after switching to FE interior yesterday :) Hopefully the 8-step email will come soon.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
Is the passenger seat/airbag recall holding up these deliveries? Those of you with guides that communicate with you - do they reference this recall at all?

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
My 8 steps unlocked Sunday evening. VIN was assigned at that time. My vehicle is currently "being prepared". My guide states it's still in Normal, but as others have stated here... not sure if I should take that with a grain of salt.
Sponsored