Max Pack holders: tell me your thoughts

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Any guesses of what the Max Pack final form will look like in size and EPA mileage? If you recall, Rivian at the LA Auto show suggested the Max would have ~440 miles of range with 12 modules, 9 modules in the 105 & 135 packs. Then, sometime last year I saw the Max would only be 11 modules.

What are your predictions of Max Pack module size, kWh and EPA mileage?

Here’s an article from back in 2018.
https://www.engadget.com/2018-12-11-rivian-building-longest-lasting-batteries-ev.html

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Any guesses of what the Max Pack final form will look like in size and EPA mileage? If you recall, Rivian at the LA Auto show suggested the Max would have ~440 miles of range with 12 modules, 9 modules in the 105 & 135 packs. Then, sometime last year I saw the Max would only be 11 modules.

What are your predictions of Max Pack module size, kWh and EPA mileage?

Here’s an article from back in 2018.
https://www.engadget.com/2018-12-11-rivian-building-longest-lasting-batteries-ev.html
2018 was a long time ago. I think they’ll get to the 400mile range but not much beyond that.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired
I'll keep my R1S maxpack reservation, living in Oklahoma I feel that 400 mile range is the minimum... now if it takes more than 2 years for me to get it, there may be other options by then.

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

Holding on to Max pack reservation for now. I have a late reservation - Aug. 2021. I’m at least going to wait for the email with estimated delivery timing. The tax credit is one consideration on potentially dropping to the large pack. Timing is the bigger concern since there really hasn’t been info on when max packs will start coming out. But I went with the max pack because we regularly do a 225 mile trip up to the mountains. And the 315 mile range on the large pack will be less in winter, with a fully loaded truck (4 people, 2 dogs, lots of stuff), even less. After range drops a little over the first couple years, I think we’d still make it without stopping to charge, but I also don’t want to be sweating the drive every time in the winter and arriving with 20 or less miles of range left. Or fell like I can’t go over 60 mph in order to get there. We have a Tesla X now and all of those things really do affect range - temperature, load, speed, age of battery, and mountains.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So, I am in the large pack camp for my R1T, but I'm more interested in a longer range variant with the R1S, mostly for family trips with several people and the doggone like JNZ. Not because I think the load will meaningfully impact range, but just wanting the most flexibility when going on trips. Particularly in the winter.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
CEO
Easy. We live in CA and pull a camping trailer; I need as much range as possible to meet our camping schedule!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Physician
I need the max pack. I frequently do remote excursions and often times I’m towing a raft or drift boat. I’ll stick with it as I just don’t see getting mine until 2024 anyhow.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
I've owned two EV's so far and won't touch anything that doesn't estimate at least 400 miles EPA any more. I live in MA, which means we have cold weather. Cold weather will knock the range down to 60%. Then tack on the fact that I don't drive anywhere any slower then at least 80, and you can see why the max pack is a must have for me. I bet I will end up getting somewhere around 275 miles out of a full charge, which should be enough to not inconvenience me with charge-up stops 99% of the time.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We started with the max pack, then after this summer with the ID4 switched to large, because we were impressed with how easy it was… then last night switched back to max after a few drives this winter in the mountains. I know they are different cars, but our ID4 is seeing a pretty severe hit to range, and we would like a little more range. Large pack with AT tires is very similar range to our ID4 so that has been our test. Who knows what the rebates will end up as, but we are going for only the essentials so we can still get a max pack under 80k if need be.

Sponsored

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
We started with the max pack, then after this summer with the ID4 switched to large, because we were impressed with how easy it was… then last night switched back to max after a few drives this winter in the mountains. I know they are different cars, but our ID4 is seeing a pretty severe hit to range, and we would like a little more range. Large pack with AT tires is very similar range to our ID4 so that has been our test. Who knows what the rebates will end up as, but we are going for only the essentials so we can still get a max pack under 80k if need be.
Yep; cold, rain, wind - all range killers. Better to go as big as possible.

mpp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Audi R8, BMW M3, Toyota FJ Cruiser
Definitely the MaxPack for me. I have had a Tesla Model S 90D for 4 years and driven almost 70,000 miles in Montana. I travel frequently on the 200-mile trip between Billings and Big Sky in every type of weather imaginable. I have found in the Tesla, wind has the most impact on range with a trip like this rather than air temperature. Even at 10 below zero air temperature I make the trip eastbound without a problem on a single charge (the range on the car at 90% charge now is about 230 miles; was 265 miles when new in 2017). However even in ideal temperature like 72 degrees F, I cannot make (or just barely make) the westbound trip without stopping to charge. The only real difference is the prevailing Westerly winds in southern Montana. The average energy usage for the east bound trip is typically about 300-350kwh/mile. On the westbound it is typically 375-400kwh/mile.

Driving Speed is also a factor and the speed limit on most of this trip is 80mph. I set the cruise at 85mph on the east bound trip and can make it without a stop. But need to set cruise to 80mph or lower on the west bound trip for it not severely impact the energy usage.

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
I am a former aviator who has pretty much quit flying. I recently made a coast to coast trip to see my family in NC. (I live on the coast in WA.) I was able to make that trip in 3 days with 85 mph speeds in 3 states on cruise control. I want to be able to make these trips with my max pack R1T. I realize I will have to stop a little longer than the previous gas stops.

Nuclianba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Pacifica hybrid
Definitely the MaxPack for me. I have had a Tesla Model S 90D for 4 years and driven almost 70,000 miles in Montana. I travel frequently on the 200-mile trip between Billings and Big Sky in every type of weather imaginable. I have found in the Tesla, wind has the most impact on range with a trip like this rather than air temperature. Even at 10 below zero air temperature I make the trip eastbound without a problem on a single charge (the range on the car at 90% charge now is about 230 miles; was 265 miles when new in 2017). However even in ideal temperature like 72 degrees F, I cannot make (or just barely make) the westbound trip without stopping to charge. The only real difference is the prevailing Westerly winds in southern Montana. The average energy usage for the east bound trip is typically about 300-350kwh/mile. On the westbound it is typically 375-400kwh/mile.

Driving Speed is also a factor and the speed limit on most of this trip is 80mph. I set the cruise at 85mph on the east bound trip and can make it without a stop. But need to set cruise to 80mph or lower on the west bound trip for it not severely impact the energy usage.
I think you mean 0.3 to 0.35 kWh/mi eastbound, and 0.37 to 0.4 kWh/mi westbound. The whole battery on the 90D is 90kWh, so...

Also, Big Sky is at 7,000 ft. Billings is at 3,000 ft. Taking a ~4,000 lbs 90D up ~4,000 feet over your drive takes ~6.5 kWh. You get that back going eastbound (and down). 13 kWh difference in energy. Over 200 miles that is .065 kWh/mi. Which is nearly exactly the difference you see between your eastbound and westbound drives. I don't think it's wind, it's the elevation.

This is why I'm waiting on max pack. I'm in the bay area, want to head to Tahoe or Yosemite and not worry. 200 miles one way, 6,000 ft elevation gain (net). At 8,000 lbs loaded up for the truck, that is 22 kWh just for the elevation. Almost 20% of the standard pack gone... 314 EPA becomes 250 just like that. Then add in that most of that is at 80 mph, cold weather impacts, range loss over the years as batteries age, etc etc and that 200 miles up in to the high country looks pretty tight... The max pack quickly looks like a requirement, especially if I want to arrive with more than 5% charge left.

Last edited:

hansgieskes

First Name
HANS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 T6, Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired CEO
Great question, to Max or not? I guess I'm kicking myself now for not picking the LE when I could have. So I originally went with the Max Pack. As I've had way to much time to think about this and play with ABRP on 135 vs 180 kWh, I would guess 98% of the time, as the R1T will be my wife's DD and we live in NC, the Large pack will be plenty. On occasions when when we pull our small camper to the mountains, the Max would be great. But as things change, we now have the possibility of the BBB Bill which for me would make the Max pack a $17,500 upgrade.

I emailed Rivian again to seek clarification, we'll see if they give any real answer as they usually never do. Things like delivery timing. So if I switch to Large pack as they have stated we Adventure holders will hear by the end of December and your configuration will influence your delivery date, am I better to stay Max or go with Large for getting a R1T sooner?

Payload Rating: Still no information on payload rating. What is the payload of R1T Adventure with off road and Max Pack?

Per MT: They weighed their R1T and got 7,150 lbs with off road and 20". So 8,532 GVWR - 7,150 lbs puts Payload at 1,382 lbs. How much does the Max Pack add to wt? 300-400 lbs? Does anyone know this? Let's go with 400 lbs. 1,382 -400 lbs...are we now down to a Payload of 982 lbs for the Max Pack?

These are the type of spec's Rivian needs to provide so customers can make informed decisions.
you're so right - its' infuriating that Rivian does not publish weight details of RT1 with Large vs Max pack. How simple would that be. Typical arrogance / ignorance of startups...
Sponsored