Max Pack holders: tell me your thoughts

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I had originally figured that Rivian would want to prioritize Max pack deliveries earlier (after LE’s). Tesla always pushes their pricier and higher margin models for faster delivery to help with their margins, especially in the ramp up phase for new models. I’m surprised to hear that folks think Max pack will get delayed later. Does Rivian have a reason to do so?
In corresponding with CS, I don't think the Max pack will be delayed, at least they are telling me if I have a Max pack configured, moving to a Large pack will not change my timing or get me an R1T any earlier.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

read it as:

the line has already been established (as per other threads on the forum). If you wish to change your configuration, that only has the potential of moving you further down the line, not up the line.

"changing this configuration will not result in an earlier delivery, will changes not impact delivery at all "

is faulty logic.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
read it as:

the line has already been established (as per other threads on the forum). If you wish to change your configuration, that only has the potential of moving you further down the line, not up the line.

"changing this configuration will not result in an earlier delivery, will changes not impact delivery at all "

is faulty logic.
Correct...it is faulty logic...I was looking for a better/more detailed response from Rivian which I have now received. Just as you read it, they felt the need to clarify.

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
Getting impatient almost always ends up with poor decision making.
Just order what you need within the constraints of your budget. If that makes it significantly delayed, you can always go with a CyberTruck if they come out beforehand.
In 10 years, you will have completely forgotten the 6 months delivery delay, but you will reminded daily if you get a suboptimal vehicle.

YellowR1T

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Air Force
Clubs

Will wait for better range. Been patient so far, can wait a bit more.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
And they've implemented the max pack? <cough>
@Smithery is correct it is not a good assumption that add on battery packs are viable now or ever from OEM or aftermarket. It is a complex endeavor that involves a ton of hardware as well as software integration which is not impossible but is costly. Battery costs being what they are it is far more efficient to design the pack integral to the vehicle than make add on packs, so even if they decided to make them for some special niche they would likely be more expensive than the same size increase in integrated pack size.
What will improve is charging infrastructure as well as possibly charge speeds and MAYBE range minimally.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I will be at high altitude in the Colorado mountains and it gets cold. So it's max pack R1S or heading back to the Cybertruck.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
As someone who's had a ~270-mile range Model S for 6 years, I can say I'm waiting for the max pack.

Almost everyone I see discusses range like it's a one-way thing. Like, as long as I can get from A to B, then the range is enough. But our personal experience is that still limits a whole lot of places you can go.

Even though we have access to the Supercharger network, we still find plenty of places where the closest charging point is 30 minutes the wrong direction, if it's available at all. So many day-trip destinations end up being just far enough we can't comfortably make it there and back without drastically altering our drive.

I also don't really like having to debate which vehicle to take because nobody wants to lose 30+ minutes of the trip charging (when the destination is only 1.5 hours away). Another thing that sucks even with supercharging is there's usually only one that's in the right spot for the trip, and this limits where you can eat and trip timing. I'd much rather have more range so I can choose where and when to stop more freely.

My sweet spot for range is 500 miles. At that range, I can literally drive anywhere I'd be willing to go in a single day without worrying about where or when to charge, or caring about weather, etc. This includes some regular trips to see family we take now that require 2-3 charging stops.

But 400+ is pretty damn close. In almost any weather, you can drive somewhere 2 hours away, drive all over that destination, and drive back, all without thinking about range. And in warm weather, you can easily drive all day and not worry about stopping at all.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm wondering if Max Pack holders will get notified of their delivery dates before end of year.

If one has a Large battery (non LE) reservation what will be the delay in switching to Max Pack once the potential delivery dates are revealed.

Also, if one has an LE reservation with an email stating delivery in Feb -July of 2022, what happens if they decide to change that LE to a Max pack? Do they get 'moved up' because they had the LE spot??

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I'm wondering if Max Pack holders will get notified of their delivery dates before end of year.

If one has a Large battery (non LE) reservation what will be the delay in switching to Max Pack once the potential delivery dates are revealed.

Also, if one has an LE reservation with an email stating delivery in Feb -July of 2022, what happens if they decide to change that LE to a Max pack? Do they get 'moved up' because they had the LE spot??
From other threads and people talking to their guide, the production schedule is set. Changing configurations will only move you back in the line, not forward. So think of any change as delaying your delivery. I'm not sure how they would handle backfilling cancelled preorders. They may choose to fill the holes by preorder date when applicable. For the LE email results, order of delivery is heavily influenced by preorder date (with FE interior and geography slightly impacting delivery time).

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent

That’s my question too, I’m currently LE but definitely waiting for max pack, my preorder date was Sept 2019, with a May June window, I’m ok with waiting till end of 2022, but 2023 might be Too long. Will wait to hear from guide before selecting it though, just in case. The IPO put some $ in the retirement fund for that my patience has expanded… :)

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Max pack for me. The discussion abt nixing max pack to get under $80k to get Biden's BBB $7.5K incentive bids the question why not drop whatever accessories are pushing you over $80k and keep max? ...and purchase those aftermarket (or change paint color). Also it's unclear with idiot coal baron Joe Manchin whether incentive up to$80k will even survive legislation.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Max pack for me. The discussion abt nixing max pack to get under $80k to get Biden's BBB $7.5K incentive bids the question why not drop whatever accessories are pushing you over $80k and keep max? ...and purchase those aftermarket (or change paint color). Also it's unclear with idiot coal baron Joe Manchin whether incentive up to$80k will even survive legislation.
You'll need to go with the Explore package to get below $80k with max pack. It's going to be a tough decision for me between 100 miles of range or removable BT speaker

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
You'll need to go with the Explore package to get below $80k with max pack. It's going to be a tough decision for me between 100 miles of range or removable BT speaker
That’s my issue is I really want the gear guard, sound system, BT speaker, ventilated seats of the adventure pack but also want the max pack.