First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Pilot
Honestly for you (I was similar situation) it ISNT worth it financially compared to grabbing a launch edition quad in the store. I went from $86000 for my Blue 20"AT, dual/max, skidplate to 73500, for a launch green, ocean coast, free AT upgrade, skidplate, quad large. So over 12k difference for 50 miles was not worth the convenience even though I stuck with MAX pack until a month ago. SO happy I went with large. Im in Colorado as well but everyone has been pretty happy here with the range. Your Florida example does give a bit more piece of mind though so I hear ya there.
I have the quad R1S and it doesn't work for me
Sponsored

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

It would appear that I have lost access to the shop in the last 24 hours. I’m hoping that means I’m very close to delivery.
Thanks! Fearing I'd lose Shop access, I bailed earlier in the week and got an LE from the Shop when inventory repopulated after quarter's end. For me, I just decided that the one or two times per year I might need the extra range wasn't worth $7,000, plus the added warranty year for the Quad feels slightly better. That's me, however; and I hope we're both happy with our choices for many years!

madmux

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX450, Tesla S90D
It would appear that I have lost access to the shop in the last 24 hours. I’m hoping that means I’m very close to delivery.
I lost access to the shop too. Too bad, I was just told Max Pack R1T were available in the shop and wanted to see delivery dates.

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I checked yesterday, and I lost access to the shop, too. I hope this means my > 3 year wait is over for the much-maligned (and perhaps correctly maligned) Max Pack.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
There are dozens of vehicles with the Max battery pack in the R1S Shop right now.

Rivian R1T R1S MAX PACK Dual Motor Performance is delivering! R1S Sho

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
There are dozens of vehicles with the Max battery pack in the R1S Shop right now.

R1S Shop.jpg
I didn't expect to see so many of these in the Shop so soon. I'm guessing demand for the Max Pack has been lower than expected. Hopefully that means we'll get ours sooner.

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
16 days left in my estimated delivery window and not a peep regarding starting the buying process.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I didn't expect to see so many of these in the Shop so soon. I'm guessing demand for the Max Pack has been lower than expected. Hopefully that means we'll get ours sooner.
Shocker, nearly 6 years later they come out with a large + that has less warranty, less hp/tq, barely more towing range (1/3 expected additional kwh), less drive modes @ 5x (hard) cost per kw.
They killed the demand, it's not that it wasn't there.
This is may be good for the company & shareholders though, as likely most of the pre march buyers bailed.

Last edited:

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

I didn't expect to see so many of these in the Shop so soon. I'm guessing demand for the Max Pack has been lower than expected.
It’s just as likely this is a move to boost the average sales price in the last quarter of the year and to move more dual motor variants.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Rivian managed to get more range without sacrificing payload. I am not sure whether the range increase is worth the $ they are asking but I do recognize that it’s a solid, if incremental, technical achievement. A series of such iterations is how a good design team gets to a >500 mi vehicle eventually. They could have slapped another 30-40 kWh on and called it a day (GM approach) but they understand that this would result in a compromised vehicle for all sorts of reasons. I suspect thats their conundrum; they appreciate (correctly) that these vehicles absolutely cannot get any heavier than they already are.

Rivian definitely should have changed the name from “Max Pack” to something like “Large Pack 2.0” or “Performance Optimized Large Pack”. They set the expectation early on that the Max Pack was significant step up in storage and range but never managed the expectations correctly when it became clear that it wasn’t the case.

Just my 2c.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
They could have slapped another 30-40 kWh on and called it a day (GM approach) but they understand that this would result in a compromised vehicle for all sorts of reasons.
I would have been complaining about a lower payload if they had taken that approach. I also would not have had the opportunity to get a 400 mile R1S.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They could have slapped another 30-40 kWh on and called it a day (GM approach) but they understand that this would result in a compromised vehicle for all sorts of reasons. I suspect thats their conundrum; they appreciate (correctly) that these vehicles absolutely cannot get any heavier than they already are.
I would have taken a R1T with an extra module & 175lb payload hit with the extra 16.5 kwh they appear to be getting out of the new MP modules for a 165 kwh pack. At least it would have had a somewhat measurable towing range increase.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Shocker, nearly 6 years later they come out with a large + that has less warranty, less hp/tq, barely more towing range (1/3 expected additional kwh), less drive modes @ 5x (hard) cost per kw.
They killed the demand, it's not that it wasn't there.
This is may be good for the company & shareholders though, as likely most of the pre march buyers bailed.
Then don’t buy one. Easy choice. Oh and now towing reduces your range by 2/3? First I’ve heard of that. Got any data to back that up?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I would have taken a R1T with an extra module & 175lb payload hit with the extra 16.5 kwh they appear to be getting out of the new MP modules for a 165 kwh pack. At least it would have had a somewhat measurable towing range increase.
I hope they will eventually get there and I hope, for the towing folks that it’s sooner rather than sOOn.

It’s not just a trade off with payload and volume i suspect, there is a broad systems impact to adding mass and especially battery mass. That additional module needs extra structure to provide adequate load paths, extra energy for thermal management, more work for the suspension, more harnessing etc.
Sponsored