kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I will never understand why Rivian refuses to do something similar.

They did, just not with a Journalist, they already have the HYPE they dont need the hype really. Lucid Does.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
They did, just not with a Journalist, they already have the HYPE they dont need the hype really. Lucid Does.
Not trying to be dense...but are you referencing the customer event from a couple of weeks back? Or something else? I absolutely love hearing the details and excitement from the customer event, but it's inherently biased to be positive since it was all customers and paid for by the company.

I'd really like an independent review from an automotive journalist that I trust.

Agreed they don't need the hype, but as a customer it's something I'm still interested in.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Not trying to be dense...but are you referencing the customer event from a couple of weeks back? Or something else? I absolutely love hearing the details and excitement from the customer event, but it's inherently biased to be positive since it was all customers and paid for by the company.

I'd really like an independent review from an automotive journalist that I trust.

Agreed they don't need the hype, but as a customer it's something I'm still interested in.

Sorry Yes the preview event from a few weeks back. I think Inside EV's said it best (link to time at 47:17 but actual statement is at 48:38)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sorry Yes the preview event from a few weeks back. I think Inside EV's said it best (link to time at 47:17 but actual statement is at 48:38)

Interesting at the 50 minute mark Tom Moloughney said that recently he has been getting more response from Rivian about them doing some test drives.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
Wow 520 miles is insane.

This should spur even more competition and, hopefully, innovation.

So what is Lucid doing that others, including Tesla, are not?

I've read (from someone here on the RivianForums) that their motors are more efficient... is that "it"? I know they have a low drag coefficient, but I know Tesla's is practically identical (0.23 for Tesla, 0.21 for Lucid)—does it make that big of a difference?

Sponsored

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner

I've read (from someone here on the RivianForums) that their motors are more efficient... is that "it"? I know they have a low drag coefficient, but I know Tesla's is practically identical (0.23 for Tesla, 0.21 for Lucid)—does it make that big of a difference?
All questions I have as well.

Is it just a massive battery?
Has someone jumped Tesla with battery technology?
(Find that hard to believe, do they even make their own?)
Much more efficient electric motors?
(Again find it hard to believe someone could beat Tesla by that much)

It will be interesting to find out once customers get their hands on Lucid vehicles.

Have to say I doubted Lucid....

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Interesting at the 50 minute mark Tom Moloughney said that recently he has been getting more response from Rivian about them doing some test drives.
Kyle makes a great point about as to why Rivian has been so secretive and not allowing any auto journalist to get their hands on a R1T to date. Even with the MT article, still lacking a lot of basic vehicle data.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired

Is it just a massive battery?
Has someone jumped Tesla with battery technology?
(Find that hard to believe, do they even make their own?)
Much more efficient electric motors?
(Again find it hard to believe someone could beat Tesla by that much)

It will be interesting to find out once customers get their hands on Lucid vehicles.
It's mostly a bigger battery though there are some other things too. Evidently they have trimmed a bit off drag by the way in which they route air around/under the car and I guess it's a bit lighter. While weight doesn't make that much difference every little bit helps.

Motor efficiency, inverter efficiency, drive train efficiency are already so high there isn't much room for improvement but every fraction of a percent helps here too,

The CT will have 500 mi EPA range also achieved mostly through bigger battery though there will be some minor tweaks elsewhere in the system but whereas Lucid's goal was long cruise range (more that is really practically needed) Tesla arrives at 500 mi cruise range as a consequence of having to have battery big enough to allow towing 14000 lbs and the ability to go off road.