Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

Just checked, I'm at 2498 miles haha
I have this as well (maybe louder) and have 2500 miles. I actually have an appointment next Thursday at a service center and they said they know how to fix this as they have encountered it before. I have also seen other threads on here with the same noise and most have been addressed at SCs.

That said, I'm curious if it will just come back in a few months and this will be a regular fix until new CV half shafts are designed. It seems to be related to a high torque load on the shafts. My limited hypothesis is that it is partly due to brake torqued launches in sport mode. I have done about 10 to 15 of those and have the creaks while friends who have never launched like that do not have the noise.
Sponsored

Virgil T2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, CR, 22s, 2017 Model X, R1S preorder
I have done the brake-launch once in 5k miles, and I have the same creaking sound.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have a little bit of this noise and I figure I'll let them sort it whenever the new tonneau parts come in so they can fix it all at once.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
That said, I'm curious if it will just come back in a few months and this will be a regular fix until new CV half shafts are designed. It seems to be related to a high torque load on the shafts. My limited hypothesis is that it is partly due to brake torqued launches in sport mode. I have done about 10 to 15 of those and have the creaks while friends who have never launched like that do not have the noise.
Same thing developed on ours in the first 250mi or so, and we never even drove hard during that period. Still haven't used launch mode.

Gather enough anecdotes into anecdata, seems like it's a universal design flaw.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have done the brake-launch once in 5k miles, and I have the same creaking sound.
I don't think ultimately it is actually brake torqueing. More just an instant on when brake is released.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I developed a creak after going on a ~600mi trip in conserve mode, being conservative. So it is not likely due to brake launches, although it could be due to uneven torque.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I developed a creak after going on a ~600mi trip in conserve mode, being conservative. So it is not likely due to brake launches, although it could be due to uneven torque.
Loaner R1T back in May started the squeak also after a longish road trip using 80% conserve mode.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
I have it (~1400 miles. Video attached.) and have never done a brake-launch…and have only ‘floored it’ a few times. (The EV launch novelty has diminished some after having a Model S for 6 years.)

It’s definitely not a result of ‘Launching’. This is clearly a design or (more likely) manufacturing/assembly error…or maybe bad/out of spec part.

While moderately annoying it’s not the end of the world to me so far. I have a SC revisit in the works to replace a Bluetooth module they had to order. I added the creak/tick to the ticket and I expect they’ll deal with it the best they can at the moment. If they can’t or it comes back we’ll have to deal with that then. But I do expect it to be resolved at some point and will ultimately hold them to that. No reason to believe (yet) that they won’t.

Last edited:

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Short of a Service Manual has anyone heard exactly what they are re-torque-ing (and to what) to correct this? More than happy to climb under there and save myself and the SC some time and effort. Last time I checked, a torque wrench is not exactly an Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator. (Just don’t cross the streams.)

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Mobile service came by and resolved the sharp "ticks" and creaks from the two front axles. I don't know exactly what they did (don't have the repair bill yet) but probably regreased, replaced, and retorqued the axle bolts.

Now those are gone I do still have a lower frequency quieter "tock/knock/clunk" but I am considering that to be normal unless it gets worse.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Short of a Service Manual has anyone heard exactly what they are re-torque-ing (and to what) to correct this? More than happy to climb under there and save myself and the SC some time and effort. Last time I checked, a torque wrench is not exactly an Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator. (Just don’t cross the streams.)
Yeah, I get the noise when I'm reversing in low speed, but not so much forward. If it's a matter of throwing grease on something and torquing down some nuts, I'd be happy to do so myself. I already have 3 service calls in and pending, and I'm not sure if this warrants yet another.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
I brought mine in to my local SC about 3 weeks ago for this issue. They replaced both front axles which improved the knock significantly, but did not eliminate it completely.

They said the axles needed to be replaced, and also my front drive unit had a tolerance out of spec. They wanted to replace it and send the original back to Normal to be disassembled/inspected. The local tech said this was the second truck they heard this noise on, but mine was going to be the first they replace the front drive unit on from it. Had to wait for the new drive unit to be shipped from Normal.

It's in the shop right now getting the new front drive unit installed.

Perhaps Bosch didn't make these to the proper specification and there is too much play from something being out of tolerance inside the unit. Guess we'll find out over time.

I'm just happy that they are going out of their way to fix this properly. The Chelsea MA service center is top notch.

onebadmofo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY LR
Occupation
I know how to exit VIM
Clubs

Just got the call that the truck is ready. I've yet to see/hear it but this is what SA wrote:

Rivian R1T R1S Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting 1662737866301

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine is nice and quiet now....
"Concern:- Customer states since the end of July 2022 there is a low speed clunking sound when steppingon the accelerator, sounds as if something is loose. Customer believes it is something dealingwith rear motors as noise isn't present when vehicle is in conserve mode.Cause:- clearance between splines on axle and hub. noise minimized.Correction/Remedy:- Front Halfshafts Other Labor (1 Hour)- Rear Halfshafts General Diagnostic- Rear Halfshafts Other Labor (1 Hour)Labor"
Do you have a video of what it sounded like? Besides front clicking, I have this too. Not there in conserve mode, but in all other modes it’s so loud and so often in the back. Yet service center told me behaves correctly when we went for a road test. I need to find a way to convince them this is not right …

Swirler

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW X3d, 2016 Subaru Outback, 1991 Alfa Romeo
It was a muffled knock when starting off. Forward and reverse. Definitely not normal, but fixed now.
Did not make noise in Conserve Mode.
Sponsored