Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

Can someone please explain to me why there’s recently such a plethora of automotive paint colors that look, I dunno…very putty-like? I can’t put a finger on it, because certainly there’s some gloss to all these new paint colors. But there’s a ton of new colors from across manufacturers, and they all are very muted in hue, with much less gloss, and just basically yucky to my eye.
What genius decided that 35 variants of “putty” should be the new normal? ?

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Can someone please explain to me why there’s recently such a plethora of automotive paint colors that look, I dunno…very putty-like? I can’t put a finger on it, because certainly there’s some gloss to all these new paint colors. But there’s a ton of new colors from across manufacturers, and they all are very muted in hue, with much less gloss, and just basically yucky to my eye.
Tastes change over time and I imagine they sell well. Personally I am a fan.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
? Not too fond of this blue'ish tint (vs. the green tint from before). It looks like it's sliding towards pewter than anything else. Normally, I'm more fond of Blue colors (Rivian Blue looks awesome), but in this instance I truly wished the green tint stayed. Looks like I'll have to switch to either Rivian Blue, or save myself a couple of grand and stick with silver.

Sad part is, the green-tinted lime stone looked incredible with the Forrest Edge interior. Black interior it is!

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Wow Rock on!

This may really change community sediment.

Still, feels like this is the bare mineral amount of marketing communication that was needed.
It’s about time Rivian got their schist together and stopped taking limestone reservation holders for granite…

Sponsored

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I think they are just running out of trends. The aftermarket started painting and wrapping cars in matte colors and then the manufacturers had to start offering them. And now the putty colors are the trend. Like Chalk on a Porsche. That became a huge seller for the last few years. The first time I saw it I thought it was cool, but now I’m not sure I like it.

even Toyota is embracing these putty colors on RAV 4s. Which means it’s probably reached its peak and we’ll soon be going to something else. Maybe highly metallic or primary colors. Who knows.

Brwood14608

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future R1T Adventure
Occupation
Firefighter
Love it (more importantly, the wife loves it more…) Switching from Rivian Blue and saving $1,000.
Same for me I just switched from Blue to Limestone!

Bborden

First Name
BB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Digital Marketing & Data
This one is easy to price $1500... same as the paint option. Or I'll trade you for the NFT the Buffalo Bills sent me of a ticket stub for being a season ticket holder (The NFT will not actually get you a seat at the games).
#GoBills

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I would love to see some FLAT PAINT options from the factory like black, dark grey or maroon without having to wrap the truck.
Matte clear is hard to do in volume and it also cleans like absolute dog shit. I’ll bet you $50 you’ll never see it offered on a truck.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Don't get me wrong, it looks nice. The color is nice and what really makes it pop are the black wheels. I'll stick with my 21" road tires and LA Silver......not worth the extra $$ IMO.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Matte clear is hard to do in volume and it also cleans like absolute dog shit. I’ll bet you $50 you’ll never see it offered on a truck.
They could always go the LR defender route and offer a matte wrap from factory.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't get me wrong, it looks nice. The color is nice and what really makes it pop are the black wheels. I'll stick with my 21" road tires and LA Silver......not worth the extra $$ IMO.
I keep going back and forth on whether it looks better or worse with the black wheels. Today I agree with you, it’s better.

I was convinced I wasn’t going to get Limestone when it was finally revealed but it’s growing on me. Its probably the most unique color.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
They could always go the LR defender route and offer a matte wrap from factory.
I am always surprised that nobody else offers this. I worked on a project a few years ago to automate wrapping. We got it down to 21 arms including front bumper on an accord. With the reach and articulation of arms now I doubt there’s any vehicle you couldn’t do it on.

There are really excellent single stage paint options that require a fraction of the capital to put into production. Paint em all white and then wrap them in something more durable than paint for less $$$ to produce.

A big leap for a production line to take but I thought it would be a cool risk to take.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am always surprised that nobody else offers this. I worked on a project a few years ago to automate wrapping. We got it down to 21 arms including front bumper on an accord. With the reach and articulation of arms now I doubt there’s any vehicle you couldn’t do it on.

There are really excellent single stage paint options that require a fraction of the capital to put into production. Paint em all white and then wrap them in something more durable than paint for less $$$ to produce.

A big leap for a production line to take but I thought it would be a cool risk to take.
that’s interesting. I wonder if it’s one of those situations where consumers still view paint as the superior option and a wrap as a cheaper aftermarket option?

a Factory or dealer wrap set up would be cool. Change your car color every few years.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

I wonder if JLR is doing it offline in the plant, or at the VPC stage?

I‘d love to see video of the robo-wrapping ?
Sponsored