Sponsored

Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Seems like you just shouldn’t use cruise control in that situation? The whole point is to prevent an accident. If you want to travel closer to a car that’s moving slower than you want, turn off cruise control. You’ll be doing that either way as soon as you tap the brakes to avoid hitting the car ahead of you.
Sponsored

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
Seems like you just shouldn’t use cruise control in that situation? The whole point is to prevent an accident. If you want to travel closer to a car that’s moving slower than you want, turn off cruise control. You’ll be doing that either way as soon as you tap the brakes to avoid hitting the car ahead of you.
I agree and think it will be easier to accept adaptive cruise if one focuses on flow of traffic rather than the actual allowed speed limit. Once one gets used to it, It is definitely a lot safer than regular cruise because it adjusts to the flow of traffic and makes driving much less stressful if there is a lot of traffic around you.

irfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I agree and think it will be easier to accept adaptive cruise if one focuses on flow of traffic rather than the actual allowed speed limit. Once one gets used to it, It is definitely a lot safer than regular cruise because it adjusts to the flow of traffic and makes driving much less stressful if there is a lot of traffic around you.
It does both to an extent. I Set it to 74, and it manages the speed for me. Typically someone’s ahead of me anywys so even in slower zones I’m already within range.

However, every car I’ve had in the last 8 years with ACC had an option to turn off the radar feature and just use it as standard cruise.
2nd biggest benefit after safety is much much less fatigue from adjusting speed.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FWIW, I've toggled from adaptive cruise to normal cruise in my wife's Pilot. The adaptive cruise control's minimum setting for space between it and the car in front of it seems to be roughly the same distance between the Earth and Moon. It's terrible - I've never experienced another car like it. I can totally understand the bad experience and the want. Most (if not all) systems are better.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
FWIW, I've toggled from adaptive cruise to normal cruise in my wife's Pilot. The adaptive cruise control's minimum setting for space between it and the car in front of it seems to be roughly the same distance between the Earth and Moon. It's terrible - I've never experienced another car like it. I can totally understand the bad experience and the want. Most (if not all) systems are better.
Hah, yeah anything below 2 on our 2014 Explorer was like that, just a hole for someone to cut you off.

That said, there have been some interesting studies that if you increase following distance it improves traffic congestion. It's weird.

I've been experimenting with the '4' setting on my X. it's probably three car lengths maybe? since I refuse to pay for 'full self driving' that isn't the only down side is it won't lane change. Supposedly Driver+ will if someone in front of you slows you down and the spot next to you is open. Looking forward to playing with it, as on long haul roadtrips I really love the lane centering/acc combination these days.

Sponsored

Cgreenlaw78

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3
Occupation
VP client services
Your preference would be for them to stop production or stop deliveries while they wait for difficult fulfillments to become more feasible? If they don't have the legal go-ahead for a state, or they don't have the ability to get a car somewhere yet, or they don't have the ability to support a car in some location, or supply issues limit production of a particular config, etc. then it only makes sense that they fulfill the orders they can while still planning to deliver a difficult order as soon as possible.

Basically, fulfilling non-LE orders in the meantime shouldn't delay an LE order, but the opposite should be true too.
Sponsored