Sponsored

Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Thanks for sharing. At this point, I have given up on the CS people. 99.9% of the time they have no answer for anything I've asked. The interesting part is, we now have some answers to some of my questions from the Owners manual (super basic manual at that). Not sure if CS's are just uninformed or not allowed to answer?
You're welcome Eric. I feel the same. I had two questions they couldn't answer. I commented to the CS agent that deliveries were to start this month and I thought we should know everything about the vehicle, to make a decision whether to purchase, or not.

My questions were: I know Rivian will have Adaptive Cruise Control, but will it also have Normal Cruise Control? (Seems like a simple question)

The second question: Will Rivian have "Speed Limit Sign Recognition"? I know Ford has both features. I would think it necessary to use with Driver+. Neither of the questions were answered.

Rivian R1T R1S Latest Time Estimate for Launch Edition - via chat with Rivian 9/21/21 Rivian-1
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

My questions were: I know Rivian will have Adaptive Cruise Control, but will it also have Normal Cruise Control? (Seems like a simple question)
Why would you want "normal" cruise control when adaptive is available, other than to rear end a car in front of you that is going slower than your cruise setting?

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Why would you want "normal" cruise control when adaptive is available, other than to rear end a car in front of you that is going slower than your cruise setting?
Agreed. Assuming there’s no cars in front of you, adaptive cruise control is the same thing as “normal“ cruise control. The Adaptive part simply keeps you from running into the back of other cars…

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for asking. Bad experience the first time. It was on a rental car. I had no idea there was such a thing as Adaptive Cruise Control. I would follow a car, that didn't use their speed control. They would speed up, then gradually slow down. The speed limit was 70, or 75. I wasn't paying any attention, but finally noticed I was only going 60 mph. It wouldn't stay where I selected. It took from Texas to Alabama before I figured out what was going on.

Next, my 2000 GMC Sierra doesn't have it. Normal is what I'm used to.

Commenting to the end of your question, I have never rear ended a car, nor had an accident in over 45 years, so that's not a factor for me.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Thanks for asking. Bad experience the first time. It was on a rental car. I had no idea there was such a thing as Adaptive Cruise Control. I would follow a car, that didn't use their speed control. They would speed up, then gradually slow down. The speed limit was 70, or 75. I wasn't paying any attention, but finally noticed I was only going 60 mph. It wouldn't stay where I selected. It took from Texas to Alabama before I figured out what was going on.

Next, my 2000 GMC Sierra doesn't have it. Normal is what I'm used to.

Commenting to the end of your question, I have never rear ended a car, nor had an accident in over 45 years, so that's not a factor for me.
I had a similar experience with a rental and didn't like it. Until I learned you can adjust the follow distance, and how to simply change lanes when I am at that follow distance so it doesn't slow me down. With the shortest follow distance selected, I now love it and wish my old vehicle had it.

Sponsored

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
His point is that with adaptive cruise control, unless you are monitoring your speed a lot, you might not notice the car in front of you going slower than you want to. With normal cruise you gain up to them and know to pass. It is a reasonable complaint.

In my opinion that complaint is more than offset by the number of times adaptive is preferable, but I do see his point
It all depends on how short you can set the minimum follow distance. If you can set it to a very short follow distance ("Alexa set cruise control to tailgate mode"), you will see it behaving just like regular cruise control and you will come right up on the person in front of you and both they and you will realize they are going slower than you want. However, if they are extra conservative with their safety settings and don't let you set a super short follow distance, you may end up in the scenario @cc84 wants to avoid.

Given Rivian's strong focus on safety and conservative approach to implementing features (e.g. tank turn delays) I could see them making the minimum follow distance you can select longer than some would prefer. If they end up with an annoyingly long minimum follow distance, I can see the argument to have an option for non-adaptive cruise control (reducing the risk of Rivian being sued when you rear-end the driver in front of you who decides they want to brake check you for driving a fancy and expensive EV).

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
His point is that with adaptive cruise control, unless you are monitoring your speed a lot, you might not notice the car in front of you going slower than you want to. With normal cruise you gain up to them and know to pass. It is a reasonable complaint.

In my opinion that complaint is more than offset by the number of times adaptive is preferable, but I do see his point
That you Scott. You described it perfectly. The reason I don't monitor the speed, is because I set it to the speed I want to travel, until I decide when I want to change it, or rely on the "Speed Limit Sign Recognition" to change it. I don't want the car in front of me controlling my speed, unless maybe it's bumper to bumper, or they're going the same speed I want to travel.

I don't have one thing for, or against, Adaptive Cruise Control. I prefer Normal. Kind of like wondering why someone would prefer a yellow Rivian, over a Launch Green color.......people have different preferences, so they're given choices.

Most vehicles I've rented recently, have the choice of either Normal, or Adaptive. I always choose Normal, but it's fine with me that most prefer Adaptive. I don't see why Rivian wouldn't offer this choice, but I haven't seen it mentioned, and it couldn't be answered by CS. Neither could the "Speed Limit Sign Recognition".

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
.....Until I learned you can adjust the follow distance, and how to simply change lanes when I am at that follow distance so it doesn't slow me down. With the shortest follow distance selected, I now love it and wish my old vehicle had it.
That may very well solve my problem. I haven't had enough experience to know.....Thanks and also to @jdhiker23.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
TIL people want to not pay attention when driving. Knowing your speed is one of the most basic requirements. Adaptive Cruise Control isn’t holding you back unless you’re already unaware of your surroundings and exercising poor driving judgement.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
TIL people want to not pay attention when driving. Knowing your speed is one of the most basic requirements. Adaptive Cruise Control isn’t holding you back unless you’re already unaware of your surroundings and exercising poor driving judgement.
This was exactly my takeaway in this thread.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

It is 2 factors in this case. 1) lack of attention as you pointed out and 2) aggressive driving, in terms of drivers wanting to be on someone's bumper before changing lanes to pass.

I don't have any issues with adaptive, my father does not like it due to the proximity distance. He likes to get right one someone's tail before changing lanes (while not signalling) to pass them. So adaptive cruise slows him down before the point he would normally change lanes.

Basically every Rivian safety feature will act against him by indicating how poorly he drives.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

So, you guys have NEVER spaced out while driving and missed a turn or realized you were going the wrong speed? I am a very attentive driver who is over 40 with an accident free record who hasn't even gotten a ticket in almost 20 years, and I have definitely done these things. I am willing to bet 99.9% of people who have driven for any length of time have as well.

All I see here is someone (@cc84 ) trying to figure out if he can configure the car in a way that works for him such that it supports him keeping the proper attention on the road. In his world, regular cruise control supports him knowing his current speed. Adaptive make him lose track. He is trying to be safe. Reacting with either name calling or a lack of empathy feels non-productive.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So, you guys have NEVER spaced out while driving and missed a turn or realized you were going the wrong speed? I am a very attentive driver who is over 40 with an accident free record who hasn't even gotten a ticket in almost 20 years, and I have definitely done these things. I am willing to bet 99.9% of people who have driven for any length of time has a well.

All I see here is someone (@cc84 ) trying to figure out if he can configure the car in a way that works for him such that it supports him keeping the proper attention on the road. In his world, regular cruise control supports him knowing his current speed. Adaptive make him lose track. He is trying to be safe. Reacting with either name calling or a lack of empathy feels non-productive.
Everyone has made mistakes — including me. What is not productive is failing to take accountability and instead blaming technology and refusing to improve.

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
Everyone has made mistakes — including me. What is not productive is failing to take accountability and instead blaming technology and refusing to improve.
He was not blaming the technology. Simply said adaptive cc wasn't his preference. And I can appreciate and understand his point of view even though it is not mine. Without calling him stupid, subtly demeaning him by saying he is failing to take accountability, or telling him he is a bad driver.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
He was not blaming the technology. Simply said adaptive cc wasn't his preference. And I can appreciate and understand his point of view even though it is not mine. Without calling him stupid, subtly demeaning him by saying he is failing to take accountability, or telling him he is a bad driver.
Thanks Tatnai. I'm guessing the accountability some are referring to, is my being unaware of my speed. I can only say that I set my speed control at 70 mph. I wasn't familiar with Adaptive CC at that time, so I thought it would remain at 70 mph, until I changed it. This only happened one time. I've been aware of it since, but I only have normal CC on my pickup, so I'm unable to experiment. I know other brands give you a choice. I wanted to see if Rivian has this choice and no one has been able to answer the question, including CS. If there is no choice, you have given me the information to make it work the way I want. Thanks

....What is not productive is failing to take accountability and instead blaming technology and refusing to improve.....
I'm not sure if this was directed towards me, or not. If it was, it's entirely untrue. I only wanted an answer. I'm not blaming anybody, for anything, or refusing to try something different. Feels kind of like the Twilight Zone on this forum, or everyone is on edge waiting for confirmation of the first non-employee, paying customer delivery, due no later than Thursday.

.....Knowing your speed is one of the most basic requirements.
That's one advantage for Normal CC. You set it and it stays that way until you change it. You know what your speed it. That's not necessarily so for Adaptive CC, according to my brief experience. Adaptive speed can change, depending on your settings and if you are behind another vehicle that's not using CC. You probably should monitor your speed using Adaptive, if you want to know your speed. With Normal CC, you already know, unless it's defective.
Sponsored