First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You're both actually saying the same thing but "refund" is a somewhat overloaded term here leading to some confusion.

To jpbrown's point, if you only have a $5000 tax liability, the credit can only reduce your liability to $0. You can't get a $2500 refund hence this being referred to as a non-refundable credit.

SANZC02, your example is also correct but you seem to be conflating the idea of a refundable credit with that of getting a refund at filing time for having overpaid throughout the year with respect to your liability (a refund of your tax payment). Obviously the credit can cause you to receive a payment refund for overpayment of tax but that is not the same as the credit itself being refundable.
I do not think we are saying the same thing. A lot of people assume it is what they owe when filing their taxes not what their tax liability is. I was attempting to explain it but based on the @jbbrown1978 response in #105 it appears I am not clear enough.

I cannot count how many times people have told me they need to adjust their tax withholding to make sure they can use the entire 7500.

My suggestion, please talk to you tax accountant….
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
From US News and World Report(https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/how-does-the-electric-car-tax-credit-work#:~:text=Plug-in vehicles may be eligible for a credit,vehicle you choose and your individual tax circumstances.)

“How Does Your Income Affect the EV Tax Credit?

You must have a federal tax liability in the year you purchase an electric car or plug-in hybrid to claim the tax credit. The tax liability must meet or exceed the amount of credit you're requesting. If, for example, you owe $6,000 in federal taxes, you can only claim a credit of $6,000 – even if the vehicle qualifies for a full $7,500 tax credit. It’s important not to confuse your federal tax liability with the size of the check you have to write by April 15, as your income tax liability also reflects any amounts withheld from your paycheck throughout the year.”
Correct, that is what I am saying. Look at line 37 on form 1040, that is the number that determines how much of the 7500 you are eligible for.

Compare that to the refundable tax credit like say a $3000 child tax credit, if line 37 was 1000 and you did not pay any taxes you could still get a check for $2000 from this credit.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I do not think we are saying the same thing. A lot of people assume it is what they owe when filing their taxes not what their tax liability is. I was attempting to explain it but based on the @jbbrown1978 response in #105 it appears I am not clear enough.

I cannot count how many times people have told me they need to adjust their tax withholding to make sure they can use the entire 7500.

My suggestion, please talk to you tax accountant….
Correct, withholdings are not the same as liability. They are a payment toward anticipated liability and have no bearing on use of the credit.

Zool

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
I've finally stopped dickering with the cinfigurizer, and settled on Silver.

I think Rivian nailed their colour palette. After gazing at the options for so long, I do feel that Blue and Red and Yellow are more exciting, But I've also begun to feel like I'm staring into a shapely blue blob of pastel. I notice and appreciate the colour itself more than I appreciate the truck.

Silver reflects so much light that it accentuates the bodylines in a way that other colours end up camouflaging. As somone who loves everything about the R1T design, I'm shocked it took me so long to figure this out.

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I've finally stopped dickering with the cinfigurizer, and settled on Silver.
Now that you've settled on Silver, have you also settled on an interior color? Because that's the next tough choice, at least for me. Currently configured with Forest Edge because I like the wood the best, but I also really like the idea of carrying the Silver/Black theme into the interior with Black Mountain.

I probably won't actually figure it out until I can see both interiors in person...assuming I'm actually able to do that before my order.

Zool

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Now that you've settled on Silver, have you also settled on an interior color?
I have Forest Edge configured right now as well. The wood on the dash is the main draw and I like the overall effect of the interior greenery. I'll have to see it in person to make a final call. I've ruled out Ocean Coast because I think you'd be seeing it reflected in the glass too much – especially in the roof. I'd be happy with black, and honestly, it might just be better. Nothing to gripe about because you didn't pay more.

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 volvo xc90, 19 gmc terrain
Occupation
operating engineer
Anyone have more pics of the 22s on silver?

Lawrence-of-Blaine

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, GMC Envoy, Nissan 350Z
Occupation
Photographer/Artist
Clubs

This 30 second video made me leave the LE R1S Silver club….sorry silver, I’m leaving you for another color. You left me unemotional and disappointed in this video. Changed my color configuration already and no alarm bells went off with regards to delivery timing…Hi Ho Silver!

Damn, that’s sharp. I think I gotta ditch the Glacier White for LA Silver now!

Sponsored

mikey164

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1t
Occupation
Electritian
Hi. So is the bottom spoiler in front and back of the R1t La silver. The same as the body color ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I really want to see one with 21" wheels that have aero covers removed. I asked Rivian and they didn't have any photos of these.
Sponsored