Sponsored

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Rivian R1S quad motor
For those folks shopping for an R1S hitch bike rack: The very expensive but truly awesome Kuat Piston Pro X fits on an R1S with no modifications required.
  • It folds up 90 degrees for storage without touching the bodywork.
  • Folded down, it holds our two e-Bikes with plenty of clearance between the pedals and the bodywork.
  • Liftgate operation is not possible with bikes in place, or with the rack folded up for storage. I disabled the motorized liftgate (using the touchscreen UI) before installing the rack so that I didn't accidentally poke a button and damage the paint.
  • That said, this model of rack can fold "backward" by 40 degrees or so to temporarily give more access to the rear of the car. So folded, the R1S liftgate can be operated fully. So you can still get access to the rear of the R1S with the bikes mounted. Nice.
  • The integrated brake light works nicely - though you need a "round to square" wiring adapter like this one or equivalent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SQJHPMY
  • The rack and bikes mostly block the rear license plate, so I will now spend a bit more to get the Kuat license plate adapter. This will let me mount a license plate on the rack itself, restoring visibility. The adapter folds up and down as needed.
  • With the rack installed and the above wiring adapter in place, the R1S thinks you have a small trailer attached, and it disables many of the rear sensors. This is good, although because bike racks are smaller than trailers, they probably could have disabled just a subset of those sensors instead of all of them.
  • The rear camera still works, but you mostly just see a bike rack closeup if you have bikes installed.
  • Gotta love the color coordination!
Pictures you say? OK, as an update here are some photos:

Here is a rear view with the rack up. As you can see, the rack blocks the license plate, which is why I added a Kuat license plate holder - which in the photo is just a bracket, wtih no plate mounted yet.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708896591430

Viewed from the side, you can see that it fits nicely, not too far from the bumper and bodywork, but with plenty of clearance. It looks really tight in the photo, but in fact there is plenty of clearance:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708896748271

Here it is folded down:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708896677401

And with a bike mounted - note plenty of clearance to the bodywork. The photo was taken from a slight angle, which makes it look like there is less clearance than there actually is, but a mountain bike with very wide bars might (or might not) have a clearance problem:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708896806593

And again with a bike, again showing that the license plate is quite obscured, but the brakelights only partially obscured... at least with one bike. But this rack has built-in brake lights, so lighting anyway is not a problem. Oh, and the bike is narrower than the car - but looks wider in the photo due to perspective distortion.
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708896848269

The liftgate can open with a bike mounted, but only if you use the rack's tilt-back function first, as shown:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708896934960

With the tilt-back engaged, you can open the lower portion of the rear as well, but ONLY if you unplug the magnetic brake light wiring connection first. The photo below shows the rack with that connection unplugged, and the pedal rotated upward:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708897024915

If you don't unplug the magnetic wiring, or if you put the pedal in the wrong position, there is some interference with the lower part of the rear opening, as shown below:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708897104278

Here's the Rivian hitch wiring connector with the "round to square" adapter plug installed and the Kuat plug inserted. So configured, you get extra brake lights on the rack itself, euro style:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708897175035

Here's a closeup of the tilting Kuat license plate holder - no plate attached yet. This tilts 90 degrees to show the license plate properly whether the rack is up or down:
Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S 1708897208873
Sponsored

Last edited:

kuau

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for this information I have this exact rack and just ordered the adaptor
cant wait to try it out

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just added some pictures, updating the original post.

S.Mueller

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500SLT, Ioniq5
Thanks for the pics. I think that a MTB with their wider bars would have an issue with clearance.

Sponsored

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the pics. I think that a MTB with their wider bars would have an issue with clearance.
They absolutely might have a clearance problem. I didn't measure the clearance with a tape measure, but clearance with really wide handlebars, on the inside position at least, would be close at best, requiring some padding perhaps. If the MTB was a tall one, the bars might poke over the top of the Rivian and thus have plenty of clearance, but again I didn't measure for an MTB. I don't own a mountain bike, so someone else will have to weigth in.

Last edited:
OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where are the lights in the rack?
Looking at the first photo, upper left and upper right of the rack, each a horizontal bar about .75" high and 12" wide. It's dark gray in the photo but glows red like a brake light when illuminated. It's mounted at an angle so that it's visible with the rack folded up or down.

WPRogersR1S

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Very nice!! When had my rack on my Model 3 I had to add a riser because the car was too low. With my R1S I needed the opposite so I flipped it over and stuck it on my R1S. It worked awesome and it also moved it out away from the vehicle about 6” which made it easy to open the rear window. I did buy the Quiker Stuff rack though because 2 of my e-bikes from Vintage Electric weigh 90lbs. Not to mention it’s modular so I can use just one rack most of the time and when I need the second rack I can easily just add it. Nice but your right, they’re crazy expensive but if you ride a lot it’s worth it in the end.

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S IMG_3197

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S IMG_2819

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S IMG_2821

Rivian R1T R1S Kuat Piston Pro X hitch bike rack works great on R1S IMG_2820

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I can't remember, did our Rivians come with the round connector plug for the hitch or do we have to buy one separately?

Sponsored

OP
OP

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can't remember, did our Rivians come with the round connector plug for the hitch or do we have to buy one separately?
The round seven-pin female "socket" is standard, and that's all we get. The Kuat rack has a "four pin" connector, thus the need for a 7-to-four "round to square" adapter.

Last edited:

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

The round seven-pin female "socket" is standard. The Kuat rack has a "four pin" connector, thus the need for a 7-to-four "round to square" adapter.
Right, but we didn't get a round plug for the socket from Rivian with the vehicle right? I have one from other vehicles, just was curious

dfacto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Research Scientist
Very nice!! When had my rack on my Model 3 I had to add a riser because the car was too low. With my R1S I needed the opposite so I flipped it over and stuck it on my R1S. It worked awesome and it also moved it out away from the vehicle about 6” which made it easy to open the rear window. I did buy the Quiker Stuff rack though because 2 of my e-bikes from Vintage Electric weigh 90lbs. Not to mention it’s modular so I can use just one rack most of the time and when I need the second rack I can easily just add it. Nice but your right, they’re crazy expensive but if you ride a lot it’s worth it in the end.

IMG_3197.png

IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2820.jpeg
Which riser did you buy?

WPRogersR1S

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Which riser did you buy?
Harbor Freight I believe but you can buy those anywhere. The problem I did have was finding a hitch pin that was long enough. Rivian’s hitch is a little thicker than most. Most of the hitch pins I tried were about a 1/2” too short. I also added shim device (can’t remember what it’s actually called) to take the play out of the tongue.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
@j.w.s thanks for the write up! I've been considering this exact rack, but hoping to pair it with a Kuat Pivot to get it out of the way when I need trunk access. Can you share more details about the brake light cable? Is it significantly longer than what's shown in the image? Does it retract or anything?
Sponsored