Sponsored

Kim Java’s posing shatters glass pano roof…

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Actually I always had a concern over the full glass roof, but i heard somewhere in one of the Rivian videos that it can hold an entire weight of truck if it happened to be on the roof but during my visit to Rivian Center to view the truck I paid close attention to the glass and even tried to give it a little push with a finger and i can tell you i saw it flexing, now after seeing this story it makes me really worried.
The roof can support the vehicle... But not the glass.
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
i heard somewhere in one of the Rivian videos that it can hold an entire weight of truck
Where did you hear that? Loads of people are worried about snow flurries caving in the entire roof and you're saying it might hold another truck on top? Also, a "slender" 225lbs woman broke the roof according to prior posts.

Toha

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Occupation
Industrial mechanic
Where did you hear that? Loads of people are worried about snow flurries caving in the entire roof and you're saying it might hold another truck on top? Also, a "slender" 225lbs woman broke the roof according to prior posts.
Please note I’m not the one saying this , all I’m saying is i heard this in some of Rivian videos, unfortunately i can’t name one but I’m certain i did.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Please note I’m not the one saying this , all I’m saying is i heard this in some of Rivian videos, unfortunately i can’t name one but I’m certain i did.
Just pulling your leg mate!

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They say memory is the first thing to go. What has been stated is that the off-road underbody protection can support the entire weight of the vehicle if the truck drops onto a rock.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Toha

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forester
Occupation
Industrial mechanic
They say memory is the first thing to go. What has been stated is that the off-road underbody protection can support the entire weight of the vehicle if the truck drops onto a rock.
If you want to talk about memory , it was phrased : the entire weight of the track could be suspended on a square inch of underbody protection without causing any damage , but if 7000 pounds drops on a square inch with or without a damage still remains an open question 😉

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you want to talk about memory , it was phrased : the entire weight of the track could be suspended on a square inch of underbody protection without causing any damage , but if 7000 pounds drops on a square inch with or without a damage still remains an open question 😉
Underbody plate and glass roof are two very different things, lol.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
might be best to put the roof racks on top and a sheet of plywood on that. If it’s parked outside all day.
Also functioning as an ever so desired Sun-shade for the glass roof. 👍🏻

kollamala

First Name
Mathew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
New to this forum. My pano roof cracked on side when I leaned lightly on it to attach Yakhima bike rack. They charged me $2250 and I see they replaced under goodwill for someone who sat on it. Does not feel right...
By the way I got the cracked glass back with me and would be happy to submit it to NHSTA for testing. I also submitted a complaint on NHSTA. A roof glass should be built stronger than that cracks when a 5 year old child walks across it (as an example)

August 11, 2022 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11478813
Components: VISIBILITY/WIPER

NHTSA ID Number: 11478813
Incident Date July 3, 2022
Consumer Location SAN JOSE, CA
Vehicle Identification Number 7fctgaal5nn****
Summary of Complaint
CRASHNo
FIRENo
INJURIES0
DEATHS0
Roof glass used is a cheap quality product (almost like an acrylic piece). I do not believe it should be on an automotive product. Cracks started developing and growing rapidly all over. Initial point of crack could have been after I installed a bike rack with elbow resting on glass. Was using a ladder for standing next to vehicle. Did not notice the crack immediately but it started on that side and grew rapidly across the surface when parked. I had the glass replaced with out of pocket pay and have the old one with me. I believe there are 2 issues: 1) quality of glass product not meant for rugged use as a roof glass 2) lack of cross beam support for such a long span of glass used in the roof
Sponsored

Last edited: