Sponsored

Kim Java’s posing shatters glass pano roof…

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Long story short, Kim sat on the roof and broke the glass. Shared lots of pictures of her sitting on Teslas over the years without causing any damage. Even more interesting, the Rivian SC originally had several roofs available to do the replacement but then those were somehow broken within the SC and couldn't be used. Ultimately the repair was completed at no cost to the owner (as a good will gesture since there were a number of other issues being addressed during that service visit). Rivian seems to want to blame owners and external damage as the cause and are not, yet, publicly acknowledging that this glass is more fragile than it should be.

I gotta say, I can't see this roof handling even the mildest of hail storms.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Long story short, Kim sat on the roof and broke the glass. Shared lots of pictures of her sitting on Teslas over the years without causing any damage. Even more interesting, the Rivian SC originally had several roofs available to do the replacement but then those were somehow broken within the SC and couldn't be used. Ultimately the repair was completed at no cost to the owner (as a good will gesture since there were a number of other issues being addressed during that service visit). Rivian seems to want to blame owners and external damage as the cause and are not, yet, publicly acknowledging that this glass is more fragile than it should be.

I think the forum member that had to pay $1600 for his replacement should be looking to get his money back. I am seeing this way too much and it definitely seems to be a Rivian issue.

Edit: This may seem like a dumb question, but is there any way to "make the glass stronger" for instances like hail? I don't plan to sit on my roof but hail is a concern.

Last edited:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Agree... And that will almost certainly result in a totaled vehicle. We had a "once in 100 years" hailstorm event in my area. Most of the insurance companies totalled any cars with shattered roofs or front/back windshields due to extensive water damage. They did not want liability of electrical issues down the road. I was amazed that the glass on my Avalanche did not break. It was only few years old at the time, and they repaired the hail sheet metal damage to the tune of $28k. Yes, $28k.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Pretty unfortunate that the roof is not really solid but it really isn’t the smartest thing to sit or stand on a glass roof. I haven’t read the manual but I’d guess there’s a paragraph about not doing that exact thing. Next we can skip the crossbars and carry load directly on the glass.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty unfortunate that the roof is not really solid but it really isn’t the smartest thing to sit or stand on a glass roof. I haven’t read the manual but I’d guess there’s a paragraph about not doing that exact thing. Next we can skip the crossbars and carry load directly on the glass.
After seeing these issues, one of the first things I though about is the risk of using the crossbars. Let's face it, when loading something on the crossbars, it's not unrealistic that people are going to possibly put a hand on the glass, or something may drop on the glass from a few inches while loading the crossbars. That should not cause a failure.

I had thought about carrying my kayak on the roof when I get the R1S. Having second thoughts about that...

This glass is starting to look like Rivian's "Tonneau Cover 2.0" design flaw. I want a Carbon Fiber replacement option!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I met another R1T owner at a charging station from the Flathead in MT, the hood looked like a Titleist after a hail storm in my in-laws sent wild pics of, huge hail. Roof was fine.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
No way I ever use the crossbars on top after hearing these stories. But then again all it takes is one Colorado Spring hail storm and that thing is history anyway… I wish there was a “no moonroof” option.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

The likelihood that Rivian argues this same thing and the whole "intended use" thing is probably right on.
However that completely misses use of cross bars, normal usage outdoors that can result in acts of god such as hail and acorns/walnuts falling from a tree. It seems that the roof may have an issue with even these basic things that fall well under what should be considered "intended use"

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
We had one of the glass panels of the roof on our Tesla Model X crack spontaneously. Tesla claimed it was from impact damage, even though it was the glass panel on the roof, on the falcon wing doors, and absolutely nothing had hit it. So long and of it short we had to pay for it, which left a bad taste being there was no sign of impact, and it was an area of stress.

Sponsored

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I can’t tell ya how many times I’ve caught women posing on top of my vehicles in the Walmart parking lot. I’m going to have to put a Kibosh to this activity and start shopping at Target.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I can’t tell ya how many times I’ve caught women posing on top of my vehicles in the Walmart parking lot. I’m going to have to put a Kibosh to this activity and start shopping at Target.
It's an adventure vehicle, so would this fall within the "intended use" disclaimer?
Rivian R1T R1S Kim Java’s posing shatters glass pano roof… 1661436706694

Rivian R1T R1S Kim Java’s posing shatters glass pano roof… 1661436308269

Last edited:

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I think the forum member that had to pay $1600 for his replacement should be looking to get his money back. I am seeing this way too much and it definitely seems to be a Rivian issue.

Edit: This may seem like a dumb question, but is there any way to "make the glass stronger" for instances like hail? I don't plan to sit on my roof but hail is a concern.
I've found that not leaving the vehicle exposed is the best way to prevent hail damage. Has never failed me, I've never had a vehicle hit by hail using this method and I live in an area that has above average frequency and severity of hail.

If your car gets hit by hail to break the glass roof, even in the Rivian, you're more than likely going to suffer damage everywhere, so I wouldn't worry specifically about the roof. A deductible is a deductible and it doesn't matter how much damage you incur above and beyond it (a $500 Comprehensive deductible will be eclipsed with a single dent). I'd actually rather it be totaled than only have minor damage. Free new truck (after deductible).

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I've found that not leaving the vehicle exposed is the best way to prevent hail damage. Has never failed me, I've never had a vehicle hit by hail using this method and I live in an area that has above average frequency and severity of hail.
That's pretty tough to do when the hail occurs in the middle of the work day and you have no covered parking anywhere for miles.
Sponsored