LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Honestly, Kia/H's battery tech seems a generation ahead of what Rivian is coming to market with in R1's

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Honestly, Kia/H's battery tech seems a generation ahead of what Rivian is coming to market with in R1's

You are not wrong, my only question is when are these vehicles coming out. The ioniq 5 around the world seems to be released but in the USA/Canada is still have a TBD. Kia EV9 + Ioniq 7 I am guessing are 2+ years away in terms of driveway deliveries. Again still within Rivians window of delivery but I hope sooner.

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
It would appear that Rivian’s tech is behind most. Which frankly given the money and time burned makes no sense.

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

And a dual motor option that is less super car and more family hauler is appealing to me. Love the R1S specs and will happily convert my pre order if it is the only option available, however, if something like the EV9 is an option at say $10k less than the R1S when my turn comes, it will be hard to stick with R1S. Rivian had my undivided attention when they were the only 7 seater on the horizon, but the landscape looks to be changing.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Seems like 2023 may be the year of 7 seater EVs.
The real question is who will have the first 7 seater that is truly usable as a family hauler with car seats involved?
If the EV9 is the same length as the Telluride (197") I fear it won't be any better than the R1S in that respect.

Somebody come and take my money!!!

OP
OP
Swilly

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Looks like a Telluride.
I guess why change a winning formula !
My wife has wanted a Telluride since it came out and loves our 100 series Land Cruiser. When she saw the silhouette in the article, she immediately said it was the perfect blend of the two and said I better hope the R1S is available in 2022.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Pretty much what everyone else says - once real 3 row SUVs are out, Rivians first mover advantage will be gone.

Their failure to keep on schedule may end up being a very costly failure indeed.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
My wife has wanted a Telluride since it came out and loves our 100 series Land Cruiser. When she saw the silhouette in the article, she immediately said it was the perfect blend of the two and said I better hope the R1S is available in 2022.
Yeah same here. Have always liked the sporty look of the Telluride and if the EV9 comes in with similar characteristic as the EV6, the R1S would have some competition for my money !

Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I would litteraly throw my money at GM/Ford dealerships if they come out with full size BE SUVs…

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Ford BEV explorer also on the way. Rivian awash in SUV competition in 2023.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Not just Ford, but Volvo XC90 based BEV, Audi has at least 3 Q Etron 3 row SUVs in the works, including a Q7 based one.

The R1S would have been the king of the pact, but now with their delays and two year old implementation, and the rest of the market catching up, I would be surprised if they could retain the middle.

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I has grabbed an R1S preorder for my wife. She will definitely bail on that for an EV9 or xc90 BEV if priced appropriately. I'll still stick with my R1T most likely.
Sponsored