KIA EV9 Concept Reveal

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Honestly, Kia/H's battery tech seems a generation ahead of what Rivian is coming to market with in R1's
Newb question...can you enlighten me on Kia/H battery tech? What specs do they have that makes it better than Rivian's? The chemistry? Charging speed?
Sponsored

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
With Ev6/Ioniq5 they kept US as last country in their delivery list. If they go in same order as Ev6/Ioniq5 then easily its 2-3 years before hits US.

Considering its bigger vehicle, my best guess US delivery will be prioritized before other parts of the world. Landscape for 7 seater is changing, EV9/Ioniq7, XC90/100 will be available in a year or two.

Hoping to get my R1S before EV9 or other options are available.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Driving Hyundai Palisade Limited for last two years and absolutely love it! I literally checked out any 6-7 seaters available in the market around that price point and Palisade/Telluride felt lightyears ahead.. at least at that price point and size. But saying that Rivian interior also looked great when I checked out their prototype in 2019 and it will have the novelty factor in appearance. And most likely EV7/Ioniq7 won't arrive in the US for next 3 years.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Driving Hyundai Palisade Limited for last two years and absolutely love it! I literally checked out any 6-7 seaters available in the market around that price point and Palisade/Telluride felt lightyears ahead.. at least at that price point and size. But saying that Rivian interior also looked great when I checked out their prototype in 2019 and it will have the novelty factor in appearance. And most likely EV7/Ioniq7 won't arrive in the US for next 3 years.
Another thing is the dealership & charging experience. I was a Lexus owner before and going to Hyundai dealership felt like a big downgrade. It'll be nice to meet other Rivian owners at RANs as well.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Yeah same here. Have always liked the sporty look of the Telluride and if the EV9 comes in with similar characteristic as the EV6, the R1S would have some competition for my money !
Theres a good chance we’ll get the Kia or Hyundai for my wife which means I probably get it first for a few years at first to replace my model 3. The 800v charging is huge for road trips and my wife doesn’t like the “California surfer bro” look of the R1S. I may be moving to getting a Rivian with their second gen vehicles that hopefully have absurd performance and better battery tech.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
This could be my wife's next vehicle. She likes the Telluride, and doesn't like the R1S (as much as I keep trying to push having two Rivian). Be interested to see some information.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
It it looks like and is sized like the Telluride and comes with the same advanced features and has similar fit/finish, then Kia will be printing money again! I bought my Telluride 2.5 years ago and can sell it for more than I paid! Kia dealers are typically asking $5-10K over MSRP for 22 units!!!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Newb question...can you enlighten me on Kia/H battery tech? What specs do they have that makes it better than Rivian's? The chemistry? Charging speed?
Charging speed. They use an 800v class architecture, so it can charge much faster than a 400v architecture that Rivian/Tesla/Ford/Mercedes are currently using.

and they absolutely shove the power into their batteries relative to the battery size. Which probably means they will see more long term degredation than others, but how much remains to be seen.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Charging speed. They use an 800v class architecture, so it can charge much faster than a 400v architecture that Rivian/Tesla/Ford/Mercedes are currently using.

and they absolutely shove the power into their batteries relative to the battery size. Which probably means they will see more long term degredation than others, but how much remains to be seen.
I just worry it’s a Hyundai/Kia I know people love them, but after working on them I just don’t get it at all. Not trying to offend anyone here, I’ve got an open mind on it. IMHO just not the same quality as Lexus, You get what you pay for in most cases. The dealership experience alone is enough to scare me away, I’d much rather if I had to, go to a Volvo dealer where at least I know the techs have to have some training… Hyundai and Kia it’s a password to some software. No ASE’s needed. Just food for thought, warranty’s are great but if you spend more time at the dealer it may change your mind after several recalls. Just saying. Three row seating is awesome, but throwing some stinky fish inside the car just doesn’t sit well with the wife… that bed however small will be nice to keep me out of trouble.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just worry it’s a Hyundai/Kia I know people love them, but after working on them I just don’t get it at all. Not trying to offend anyone here, I’ve got an open mind on it. IMHO just not the same quality as Lexus, You get what you pay for in most cases. The dealership experience alone is enough to scare me away, I’d much rather if I had to, go to a Volvo dealer where at least I know the techs have to have some training… Hyundai and Kia it’s a password to some software. No ASE’s needed. Just food for thought, warranty’s are great but if you spend more time at the dealer it may change your mind after several recalls. Just saying. Three row seating is awesome, but throwing some stinky fish inside the car just doesn’t sit well with the wife… that bed however small will be nice to keep me out of trouble.
Totally agree with the dealership experience. Even the dealers that sells genesis are terrible. Not comparing with Lexus, but I get far better experience with Honda dealer.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Minor Counterpoint. Volvo dealers no longer know how to do anything with a vehicle that's an EV either, they just end up calling Sweden for any issues.(personal experience)

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Minor Counterpoint. Volvo dealers no longer know how to do anything with a vehicle that's an EV either, they just end up calling Sweden for any issues.(personal experience)
Oh that’s no good. I applied at Tesla years ago and I did not have enough electrical background, Honda’s hybrids were just not the same. Honda had some good training, they sent you and paid for it too. That’s the problem with all this new technology, I guess it has to grow its training as well.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Audi/Porsche's next gen architecture (Premium Platform Electric - PPE) will be 800V based, as will Volvo's EV XC90/Polestar 3 architecture. So Rivian will have some strong competition in the charging speed department from the likes of Audi, Volvo, and Kia/Hyundai. Important thing to note is the connection to Rimac for both Porsche (and Audi) and Hyundai/Kia. Both automakers were early investors and had access to the 800V technology that Rimac developed. That's why they were the first two automakers with 800V technology released.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Oh that’s no good. I applied at Tesla years ago and I did not have enough electrical background, Honda’s hybrids were just not the same. Honda had some good training, they sent you and paid for it too. That’s the problem with all this new technology, I guess it has to grow its training as well.
It sounds worse than it is. I actually appreciate that they (and VW) can pi g the mothership and aren't afraid to. It just means stuff takes a bit longer potentially.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
It sounds worse than it is. I actually appreciate that they (and VW) can pi g the mothership and aren't afraid to. It just means stuff takes a bit longer potentially.
Worth the wait! :)
Sponsored