Sponsored

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
@HAL9000 - I'm trying to visualize how to get the bike on/off the rack; do you have to lift it over the quarter panel directly onto the rack? Also, does the rack open past 90 degrees to allow for more freedom while loading/unloading (in one of your pictures it seems that is a yes)?

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This is the setup I just installed this past weekend... coupled the BuiltRight molle panel with the Ride88 mounts. The molle panel has just enough flex in it that I'm concerned about the long term stability of this setup. I'll report back once I've used it for a while.
I have this as well; Builtright + 2x Ride88 racks. So far no issues, but I am bummed about the tailgate needing to be down (and the poor backup visibility).

halseygary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pedaldrivenco.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T | 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Clubs

Thank you! I am a huge Kuat fan but don't love how the tailgate wont clear the NV 2 without a drop on the receiver... about to pick up a Piston SR and try that.

What size wheels are on your MTB and is there any risk for part that holds the front wheel hitting the back window or air deflector on the roof?
This is probably the one thing I'm not fond of with my R1T. ANY bike rack gets in the way of the tailgate. Imagine my face when I got all this on and then realized the long cable lock is in the in bad storage that can't be opened with the Velocirax on the truck. haha First World Problems for sure.

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed PXL_20230317_175215364

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This is probably the one thing I'm not fond of with my R1T. ANY bike rack gets in the way of the tailgate. Imagine my face when I got all this on and then realized the long cable lock is in the in bad storage that can't be opened with the Velocirax on the truck. haha First World Problems for sure.

PXL_20230317_175215364.jpg
I was seriously tempted by the Lolo Racks setup, saw them at a MTB festival last year. They have a swingout hitch that their vertical rack mounts directly to (e.g. not a hitch extender), so it's nice and flush against the tailgate but you can still swingout to access the bed. Really slick setup.

I don't have that many bikes to carry so I'm just sticking with a 1up hitch rack (for when the RTT is mounted) and the same 1UP rack on the crossbars (when the RTT is off).

For impromptu around-town trips I have a pair of Tsuga Pisgah Pads which work really nicely.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HAL9000

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R1T.
Clubs

@HAL9000 - I'm trying to visualize how to get the bike on/off the rack; do you have to lift it over the quarter panel directly onto the rack? Also, does the rack open past 90 degrees to allow for more freedom while loading/unloading (in one of your pictures it seems that is a yes)?
Yes you have to lift the bike up and over onto the rack. I'm 6"5 so its easier plus my MTB bike is super lite. The Electra Townie Go is heavy and does suck to lift unfortunately :-(

The rack opens past 90 to give more freedom (enough to get the bike on there).

jhelmig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I hadn't heard of this rack before.
It's perfect.
(and also expensive)

Thank you for this writeup!
Kuat is expensive but they last forever, are well designed, and they stand by their product. I had a part break a few years after I bought my most recent NV and they happily sent me a replacement part. (contractor backed into the first one otherwise I would still be using my first NV from 2014)

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
For impromptu around-town trips I have a pair of Tsuga Pisgah Pads which work really nicely.
Those are interesting, had not seen them before. I use a very low-rent-looking movers pad folded up and over the bed for short 15 - 30 min trips to the trail. For a weekend trip I got the race face pad.
when I get an RTT, I think I will probably get a nice hitch mount that swings out. Seems like that should cover all the bases. I just can't be bothered with more than two mins of set up for the regular once or twice a week rides.

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
Hello,

Installed the Piston SR today and wanted to share some pics. Installation was super easy and fast.

I did the T-Channel setup for a cleaner look:

You don't have to move the front arms forward to mount the bike.
The whole rack can be adjusted easily if you need more room up front (just slide it):

I am very happy with the setup. Here are the specs.
Assembly Video

Apologies for the crappy pics.
This post cost me $200! I was planning on getting the 1-Up roof rack since I don't like the thought of having my bike hanging off a hitch, and my 29" XL XC bike would not fit on anything else. I had not ever considered Kuat but the Piston SR functions much like the 1-Up but looks so much better. Just arrived today, so haven't driven with it yet but s00n!

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed IMG_2210

Yup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How long is this rack? When not in use, how far past the tailgate does it extend?

I’m in a tight garage- wondering how much extra length this adds to the vehicle footprint.

thanks all.

Sponsored

ciderarchitect

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Architect/Contractor
How long is this rack? When not in use, how far past the tailgate does it extend?

I’m in a tight garage- wondering how much extra length this adds to the vehicle footprint.

thanks all.
Folded up with no bike, mine overhangs about 6” beyond the tailgate. I could possibly slide it 1” closer to the cab but appreciate the bit of buffer when I open the front hoop.

OP
OP
HAL9000

HAL9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, R1T.
Clubs

thanks all.
Yeah about 6'ish with room to make it less if you want.

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230505_180810

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Canyon Red R1T, 2022 Blue Model Y,
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Thanks to this thread I picked up the Piston SR last week. Its perfect (though the front tire on my Trek Rail 7 does wobble some - velcro seems to help). Mine doesn't hang off the back much at all but still has room up front with ~1" to spare with my 29's

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230512_141116

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230512_150410

Rivian R1T R1S Küat: Piston® SR rack installed 20230512_150414

DDay61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2021 992 4S, 2019 Macan S
Sorry if I missed it; but, does the rack lock down to the crossbars if you use the T-nuts? And, does Kuat include locks with the rack. I have the Yakima; but, I have to load bikes backward to avoid the front wheel hitting the deflector and the adjustability (fore-aft) of the Yakima is limited.
Sponsored