Sponsored

Greg614

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (on order)
After many trials and tribulations we have finally taken possession of our R1T.

Today's delivery was even a mess, but it all worked out in the end.

Some really quick impressions (I'll have to do a more detailed review after I get more seat time)..

1. I really like the Forest Green, glad I went with it.
2. Black Mountain interior looks great, good fit and finish.
3. The truck is a little smaller than I was anticipating but not by much.
4. All body panels and gaps looked good, nothing scratched, no apparent paint defects, no defects noticed in the interior, so far.
5. Everything is opening and closing as it should.
6. Sixteen miles on OD when delivered.
7. Sound system is good, on par with our '22 Model 3P.
8. A little more wind noise than I was anticipating but not bad at all.
9. Smooth ride and steering feel is good.
10. Good acceleration, probably faster than my M3P, just doesn't feel like it is.
11. Good ride quality in AP mode with soft suspension. Every other setting felt too firm for my taste. Lowest was rough.
12. Interface is quick to respond. If you have a Model 3 or Model Y it will feel somewhat familiar. Tesla's UI maturity shows but I think Rivian will keep improving at a good clip and catch up.
13. As others have mentioned, the truck doesn't auto lower when you park. If you are in a higher suspension setting and then park, when you open the door to get out you may not realize the truck is higher than when you first drove off. I almost tumbled out of the truck because it was a few inches higher when I parked then when I first drove off. Not a huge deal but Rivian should consider an auto-lower on park, or something.
14. I think the tonneau cover is going to be an issue, not just mechanically but also the top looks like it will get scratches from opening and closing.
15. For my uses our Raptor is just more practical (bigger bed, more roomy interior, seems more prone to take incidental damage better). I was going to sell the Raptor but now will wait to trade it in on a F150 Lightning. Not a reflection on the R1T just our personal situation.
16. Initial vehicle impressions are good, the R1T appears to be a solid product from Rivian. My experience with the buying and receiving part however was really really rough and I hope for Rivian's sake was more an outlier than typical. Everyone I had dealings with were pleasant, but the whole process was dysfunctional to an unusual degree. Truly one of the worst purchasing experiences I have had. Maybe I just drew the short straw and happened to be the beneficiary of a lot of bad luck. That and/or they are just not prepared to the level they need to be and only time and experience will fix it.
17. I did not get the wrist band, they gave me paper saying they still owed it to me. I did get the spare tire.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG
Can I use my Tesla charger for a Rivian?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You can, you will need one of these.
Clicked through that link, only for the bastards at amazon to rub in the fact that I don't have my Rivian yet:
Rivian R1T R1S It's finally here. First impressions 1652373753466

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

13. As others have mentioned, the truck doesn't auto lower when you park. If you are in a higher suspension setting and then park, when you open the door to get out you may not realize the truck is higher than when you first drove off. I almost tumbled out of the truck because it was a few inches higher when I parked then when I first drove off. Not a huge deal but Rivian should consider an auto-lower on park, or something.
If they ever implement this, it needs to be disabled in ALL off-road modes. The absolute last thing I need is to park on an obstacle and have the truck lower itself, high centering on a rock. And yes, parking on an obstacle is not uncommon if you need to get out and look at how it's sitting to get a better idea of how to proceed if you don't have a spotter. Cameras are good, but they tend to flatten rocks, dropoffs, etc, especially when they're at a high angle relative to the ground.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Without boring everyone with the entire back story.....

Guide texted around 10am to let me know delivery would be delayed by a little bit (scheduled for 2pm), I texted back and mentioned I had a meeting scheduled (3:30) about an hour and half after scheduled delivery time and I had to go to it.

Did not get a response for hours. Called service number, they said they would look into it, this was about 25 minutes before I had to leave my house. No responses so I left for my meeting.

I am literally pulling up to my meeting which is half way across town and I get a automated text saying my vehicle was at my house.....:/ (3:25pm)

There's a lot of little details in the story but that's the gist of it. I do have to say in all fairness the driver did try calling twice over a couple of hours, but my phone silenced his call and sent it straight to voicemail. Why he didn't leave a voicemail or text me I can't say.

In the end it worked out, the driver was a good guy and now that part of my story is over with.

However...I found my first issue

IMG_2543.JPG

FWIW that shit just happened in my hyundai as well as a few other cars lol, its a PIA.

• Sad
Reactions: hed
OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
FWIW that shit just happened in my hyundai as well as a few other cars lol, its a PIA.
:/ Bummer, first time I've experienced it. After talking with service I get the distinct impression they would rather not have to send someone 200 miles to my house to fix it. Not sure if this gets resolved. As DaveA pointed out, it could be worse.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

:/ Bummer, first time I've experienced it. After talking with service I get the distinct impression they would rather not have to send someone 200 miles to my house to fix it. Not sure if this gets resolved. As DaveA pointed out, it could be worse.

The good news is that its a easy fix just have to lift up some trim/carpet but hey that is what warranty is for :p

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Wonder if they would allow you to defer the repair until something else comes up?

OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After a day of driving I observed something else. A hood flutter. When at highway speeds I noticed some slight flex/vibration in the hood. I haven't seen any discussion about this so I googled it.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/ea...ian-r1t-reveals-problem-with-hood-fluttering/

I think I have this. I was surprised when I saw it. Not crazy bad but not the solidity I expected. It is noticeable and when I hit 80 I was somewhat concerned the hood could possible pop open.

Other notes so far.

The R1T is not as easy to modulate at low level speed. It's more abrupt in reverse and going from a stop. Like pulling out of a parking spot and doing a 3 point turn. Perhaps hold function and regen, maybe throttle mapping, all play a role here. That's just conjecture on my part.

That's my take away as of today. Not as smooth as my other vehicles in low speed movements, more noticeable EV noises (motors) and feels somewhat 'heavy' in operation. Not deal breakers but so far after 100 more miles not as "smooth" as I was expecting.

I need more seat time to confirm. This could all be preferences based on the familiarity with my other vehicles.

I am sending a video to service about the hood and a picture of the mat peg issue.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
After a day of driving I observed something else. A hood flutter. When at highway speeds I noticed some slight flex/vibration in the hood. I haven't seen any discussion about this so I googled it.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/ea...ian-r1t-reveals-problem-with-hood-fluttering/

I think I have this. I was surprised when I saw it. Not crazy bad but not the solidity I expected. It is noticeable and when I hit 80 I was somewhat concerned the hood could possible pop open.

Other notes so far.

The R1T is not as easy to modulate at low level speed. It's more abrupt in reverse and going from a stop. Like pulling out of a parking spot and doing a 3 point turn. Perhaps hold function and regen, maybe throttle mapping, all play a role here. That's just conjecture on my part.

That's my take away as of today. Not as smooth as my other vehicles in low speed movements, more noticeable EV noises (motors) and feels somewhat 'heavy' in operation. Not deal breakers but so far after 100 more miles not as "smooth" as I was expecting.

I need more seat time to confirm. This could all be preferences based on the familiarity with my other vehicles.

I am sending a video to service about the hood and a picture of the mat peg issue.
Curious what your build date was, the RCA filed said September/October of 21, looks like the scope may be larger than expected or just an anomaly.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F

Some really quick impressions (I'll have to do a more detailed review after I get more seat time)..

4. All body panels and gaps looked good, nothing scratched, no apparent paint defects, no defects noticed in the interior, so far.
10. Good acceleration, probably faster than my M3P, just doesn't feel like it is.
11. Good ride quality in AP mode with soft suspension. Every other setting felt too firm for my taste. Lowest was rough.
12. Interface is quick to respond. If you have a Model 3 or Model Y it will feel somewhat familiar. Tesla's UI maturity shows but I think Rivian will keep improving at a good clip and catch up.
14. I think the tonneau cover is going to be an issue, not just mechanically but also the top looks like it will get scratches from opening and closing.
15. For my uses our Raptor is just more practical (bigger bed, more roomy interior, seems more prone to take incidental damage better). I was going to sell the Raptor but now will wait to trade it in on a F150 Lightning. Not a reflection on the R1T just our personal situation.
16. Initial vehicle impressions are good, the R1T appears to be a solid product from Rivian. My experience with the buying and receiving part however was really really rough and I hope for Rivian's sake was more an outlier than typical. Everyone I had dealings with were pleasant, but the whole process was dysfunctional to an unusual degree. Truly one of the worst purchasing experiences I have had. Maybe I just drew the short straw and happened to be the beneficiary of a lot of bad luck. That and/or they are just not prepared to the level they need to be and only time and experience will fix it.
17. I did not get the wrist band, they gave me paper saying they still owed it to me. I did get the spare tire.

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG
For anyone interested in the stereo (Meridian) in the Rivian VS. a Tesla Model 3 Performance, I can tell you that I'd take the Rivian ALL DAY over the Model 3. I can respect what the owner is saying here, but I'm also assuming he/she didn't dial in the EQ. I'm a M3P owner and in my experience the Rivian Meridian was superior. It seemed to have a much wider soundstage. I'd take the Rivian sound system all day over the M3P, and I'm a sound nerd.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Without boring everyone with the entire back story.....

Guide texted around 10am to let me know delivery would be delayed by a little bit (scheduled for 2pm), I texted back and mentioned I had a meeting scheduled (3:30) about an hour and half after scheduled delivery time and I had to go to it.

Did not get a response for hours. Called service number, they said they would look into it, this was about 25 minutes before I had to leave my house. No responses so I left for my meeting.

I am literally pulling up to my meeting which is half way across town and I get a automated text saying my vehicle was at my house.....:/ (3:25pm)

There's a lot of little details in the story but that's the gist of it. I do have to say in all fairness the driver did try calling twice over a couple of hours, but my phone silenced his call and sent it straight to voicemail. Why he didn't leave a voicemail or text me I can't say.

In the end it worked out, the driver was a good guy and now that part of my story is over with.

However...I found my first issue

IMG_2543.JPG
EEEK!!

• Haha
OP
OP
hed

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Curious what your build date was, the RCA filed said September/October of 21, looks like the scope may be larger than expected or just an anomaly.
My vin is in the mid 5k so it shouldn't be that old.

Dlcromwell

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 VW Thing, 2020 Honda Passport, 2000 Silverado
Occupation
Retired

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG
Your garage is way tooo near. :))))
Sponsored