Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

10% is basically once a week. No, EVs aren't for you.
Ok, 1-2% then.

I don't know or care if an EV is better for the environment- I need faster transportation than a horse and don't really care what the fuel source of my vehicle is. I'm not trying to stubbornly use an EV to the exclusion of all others because I'm dead set on electrification. EVs are just really nice to drive and as a daily driver my R1T is perfect. For the once in a blue moon that I need off grid range exceeding the range of the battery it's nice to have a way to do that. If I did badass trans continental overlanding on a daily basis, EVs definitely wouldn't be for me.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
ElectrifiedOverland

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

When EV charging is as reliable and fully built out as gas stations it may be a silly idea to have a gas powered range extender generator. For now, fast charging is built along highways to get you from city to city. I'm trying to get away from cities and there's a lot less support for that. Until then, a compatible generator is a hell of a useful idea. I'd be all over a purpose built unit small enough to fit under the tonneau.
It would also need to be designed for the vibration environment of frequently being transported. Maybe these already are as people probably drag them out to work sites and such… I don’t have a generator but I imagine most of them sit in a garage for a year before getting used for a few hours. This is an interesting part of the design space though. It’s not really a range extender in the normal sense so the performance requirements can be a lot lower. It can be optimized for efficiency, size, transportability, and noise.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I was just looking in to this over the weekend and ordered a 14-30 to 14-50R adapter to attach to my Honda EM6500S. I'm going to test it this weekend.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

Solidly in the "EV's aren't for you" camp. Do what you need to in an emergency though.
Would you feel better if we strapped some extra batteries on there instead?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe keep a powerwheel in the bed?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

To your point. A Bluetti LiFePO4 system exists that stores 18kWh and supports 5kW output at 240V, I think, resulting in a 15% range boost. But it may take up most of the bed and will cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully, storage technology continues to improve and come down in cost while increasing in energy density. Until then, people should feel free to experiment with some other solutions.

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I don't agree with that at all. Someone who could use the Rivian for 99-100% of their use cases are stuck waiting while someone who is regularly happily inconveniencing themselves for no good reason has one.
Hmm not sure I agree with the logic on this one to be honest. Perhaps because I grew up in a more rural area the idea of hauling along extra fuel is definitely not a novel one. The fact that it's now electrons and that there aren't great portable options right now doesn't really change the fact that on the odd occasion that you visit an even more remote area you need a bit more juice. Kind of like saying anyone who carries a Jerry can of fuel for their ICE vehicle on a camping trip should be driving a horse and buggy. While I 100 percent agree and wish that there were more and better non gas range extending options available for evs, I respectfully disagree with the premise of your response on this particular thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ElectrifiedOverland

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Hmm not sure I agree with the logic on this one to be honest. Perhaps because I grew up in a more rural area the idea of hauling along extra fuel is definitely not a novel one. The fact that it's now electrons and that there aren't great portable options right now doesn't really change the fact that on the odd occasion that you visit an even more remote area you need a bit more juice. Kind of like saying anyone who carries a Jerry can of fuel for their ice on a camping trip should be driving a horse and buggy. While I 100 percent agree and wish that there were more and better non gas range extending options available for evs, I'm respectfully disagree with the premise of your response on this particular thread.

Exactly right.

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So... Reading this thread this morning inspired me to put the finishing touches on my adapter kit today. Here it is:

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter tempImageYeO4pf

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter tempImageZYNgxW

I do lighting for film and I was planning to make my own adapters but the ones I got from Parkworld were so inexpensive that couldn't have even bought the parts for what they cost.

I've got:
Range plug to 14-50R
Welder plug to 14-50R
220 Bates to 14-50R (I made this for when I'm on film sets)
50A twist-lock (California connector) to 14-50R
and (relevant to this thread) a L14-30 to 14-50R

I tested most of these today and they seem to work fine.

I used the L14-30 with a Honda EU6500is and a Honda UE7000is. Both of these needed a bonding plug. I guess that if I had made my own adapters, I could have jumped it internally (like the one in the OP) but this adapter is so small that having another piece is no biggie. Also, I suspect that if I wanted to use the 50A twist-lock with a larger generator that I would need the bonding plug for that as well.

I guess that this is all a bit excessive but I just wanted to be able to get creative in finding a charging solution if I ever needed to.

-

Now back to the 'hybrid' issue. Can you even drive with the charge port open? Can you even drive while charging? Or is that not really what we are talking about?

Last edited:

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
To your point. A Bluetti LiFePO4 system exists that stores 18kWh and supports 5kW output at 240V, I think, resulting in a 15% range boost. But it may take up most of the bed and will cost an arm and a leg. Hopefully, storage technology continues to improve and come down in cost while increasing in energy density. Until then, people should feel free to experiment with some other solutions.
wow, that's too bad. b/c the best thing would be an extra battery pack with wheels that you can ramp into the truck bed and connect as needed. Ideally ones you could rent rather than own. Who's going to make the Blue Rhino of EV batteries?!

OP
OP
ElectrifiedOverland

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Now back to the 'hybrid' issue. Can you even drive with the charge port open? Can you even drive while charging? Or is that not really what we are talking about?
The hybrid part was just a little tongue in cheek. Maybe I should have said it's now a dual fuel vehicle. Some of my friends who are less ready to take the step into EVs worry that if the grid is down for an extended time they won't be able to refuel. I was just illustrating that in a way it's even more flexible with an EV because you can create your own electricity with a generator or off-grid solar if the electrical grid is down for a long time.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

wow, that's too bad. b/c the best thing would be an extra battery pack with wheels that you can ramp into the truck bed and connect as needed. Ideally ones you could rent rather than own. Who's going to make the Blue Rhino of EV batteries?!
Someone may eventually. I wouldn’t get discouraged based on my single Amazon search yet. Systems like the Bluetti are probably not optimized for this use case. Those B300S modules don’t have great packing efficiency and I think using more than a few of them is more of a home power backup solution. It would be really neat to have a structural battery case that rolls flat into the bed allowing you to use the full length of the bed at a reduced height. The question is how much extra “refilling in the field” is worth the effort? 10%? 25%? Logically, 100% done using only the current battery technology would be equivalent to carrying another R1T pack, so that won’t be feasible. The OP’s solution seems to imply a possibility of 50% or more so that is pretty intriguing.
Sponsored