Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

After a recent power outage here in NH I decided to upgrade to a nicer generator to power the house and found an adapter to run the mobile charger from it as well. It powers right up and provides 5.2 kw to the truck. This could come in handy to charge the truck in the next outage in a pinch or to carry in the bed to extend my off-grid range for longer distance overland excursions in Northern Maine and NH where you're much more likely to encounter a moose than a source of electricity.

AC WORKS Electric Vehicle Charging Adapter (L14-30 30Amp 4-Proing to 14-50R) https://a.co/d/hQqXuOo

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-...enerator-with-co-secure-technology-57080.html

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter PXL_20230110_201505062.MP

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter PXL_20230110_201618637.MP
Sponsored

Last edited:

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
After a recent power outage here in NH I decided to upgrade to a nicer generator to power the house and found an adapter to run the mobile charger from as well. It powers right up and provides 5.2 kw to the truck. This could come in handy to charge the truck in the next outage in a pinch or to carry in the bed extend my off-grid range for longer distance overland excursions in Northern Maine and NH where you're much more likely to encounter a moose than a source of electricity.

AC WORKS Electric Vehicle Charging Adapter (L14-30 30Amp 4-Proing to 14-50R) https://a.co/d/hQqXuOo

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-...enerator-with-co-secure-technology-57080.html

PXL_20230110_201505062.MP.jpg

PXL_20230110_201618637.MP.jpg
Ha, great title!

Reviews showed 12hr runtime on a full load for a house to empty the tank (~6gal.); was that kind of pace about what you were seeing using the generator?

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
+1, would love some extra data so we can convert this into a mpg figure for the Rivian hybrid :)

OP
OP
ElectrifiedOverland

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

I'll have to do more comprehensive tests at some point, this was just an initial test as proof of concept. My complete SWAG is that about 9 gallons of generator gas should charge the battery from nearly empty to full in about 18 hours at 5.2 kW given that the generator is marketed to have 12 hours run time on 6 gallons. It's a complete guess, so don't put much stock into it, I'll run an actual test at some point. In any case, what I really need is the ability to drive to the northernmost charger on my way to the north woods and 150-200ish miles from there into a campsite with the ability to explore around up there and then get back to the charger without range anxiety. This will easily allow me to do that with just a full generator tank and no need to carry a jerry can.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
My complete SWAG is that about 9 gallons of generator gas should charge the battery from nearly empty to full in about 18 hours at 5.2 kW given that the generator is marketed to have 12 hours run time on 6 gallons.
If so that's in the ballpark of 30mpg which is about what I'd napkin'd out when thinking about a similar setup. Someone just needs to make a 5.2kW generator that fits under the tonneau and we're in business!

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

You’ve found an Adventure extender @ElectrifiedOverland ! …but was it SUPER QUIET as advertised or just QUIET?

Last edited:

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
This is relevant to my interests. Would love to hear how much range you'll get in actual usage for charging your truck from a low state of charge.

I could use a new/better/quieter generator for the house, and this would also fit nicely in my trailer for long tows to tracks. I always have 20+ gallons of gas for the motorcycles anyways, so this would help if I'm unable to secure local power while there for a few days.

OP
OP
ElectrifiedOverland

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

You’ve found an Adventure extender @ElectrifiedOverland ! …but was it SUPER QUIET as advertised or just QUIET?
I'd say just "quiet" but I suppose it's in the ear of the beholder. It's much much quieter than the generator it's replacing

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Was out in the dessert east of San Diego. Did not have enough juice to make it home towing. Honda generator did the trick with the right power adapters. Took a while but I wasn't going anywhere.

Rivian R1T R1S It's a hybrid now... R1T charged at 5.2kw with portable generator and charging adapter 1673411422987

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
After a recent power outage here in NH I decided to upgrade to a nicer generator to power the house and found an adapter to run the mobile charger from it as well. It powers right up and provides 5.2 kw to the truck. This could come in handy to charge the truck in the next outage in a pinch or to carry in the bed to extend my off-grid range for longer distance overland excursions in Northern Maine and NH where you're much more likely to encounter a moose than a source of electricity.

PXL_20230110_201505062.MP.jpg

PXL_20230110_201618637.MP.jpg
From my perspective your timing couldn't have been more perfect for this post. We just had a power outage in Seattle and I was using my generators the other day to back up the house. It got me thinking that I should probably test them on my R1S to see how they do. I have 2 Honda Generators of the smaller 'camping' variety Honda EU 2200i

They can be connected via a cord to effectively act like a 4400w generator. I have ordered the Adapter off Amazon to connect them to the Rivian charger and will give it a go when I receive it. These generators are really light so pretty easy to carry around even in the R1S in an emergency.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
From my perspective your timing couldn't have been more perfect for this post. We just had a power outage in Seattle and I was using my generators the other day to back up the house. It got me thinking that I should probably test them on my R1S to see how they do. I have 2 Honda Generators of the smaller 'camping' variety Honda EU 2200i

They can be connected via a cord to effectively act like a 4400w generator. I have ordered the Adapter off Amazon to connect them to the Rivian charger and will give it a go when I receive it. These generators are really light so pretty easy to carry around even in the R1S in an emergency.
You'll need a neutral ground bonding plug in order for them to charge the truck. Cheap to buy and even cheaper and easier to make with hardware store parts.

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
You'll need a neutral ground bonding plug in order for them to charge the truck. Cheap to buy and even cheaper and easier to make with hardware store parts.
I'm definitely not God's gift to electricians. Can you possibly link one I could buy on Amazon? Note the peculiar setup of the parallel linked generators means that I have to plug the charger in to the 30 AMP weird socket on the companion generator

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I tried one of these (link posted by "Thedude") and still had issues.

Got this instead "(link posted below) and it worked. The Rivian is very sensitive to the power it intakes and the power it outputs.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TXMFRY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Interesting. It’s not that the charger is sensitive it just needs to see a grounded circuit. All a bonding plug is is a piece of wire jumping two pins in the plug. You could take a section of wire and just stuff it in the ground and neutral pins and the truck would accept the charge. Totally unsafe of course but that’s all that’s going on inside the bonding plug.
Sponsored