OP

retart13

First Name
Nino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m340i, R1S
I believe this would be a dealbreaker for many (most?). I've got too many other things in life to do beside stop after work just to get home. Day after day after...
If I was in your shoes, the anxiety of cold winter range for work use would have me waiting a few years. For me it'd be like starving college student days all over again; staring at the gas gauge as I drove by yet another station.
But if a L2 charger was at work then all of this is moot.
FWIW, my 2021 M3 AWD LR, with improved heat pack, will go 185 miles in the dead of winter factoring in range loss. I would not buy my Tesla if I had your winter commute. I'd be in a Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid which my nephew is getting better than EPA claim.
That would be the easy answer....however I think I can deal with occasional days/year stopping on the way back for 5-10 minutes to get me home. I imagine most days will be fine as long as the roads are clear in the winter. I will probably just get the 21s to be safe.
Sponsored

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
im sorry you have to drive so much, but at least in an R1 with the max pack you could be in a very nice vehicle with power to spare for that drive. If I was in your position, I'd probably get the Rivian. But I'd also be looking to move closer to my workplace as well. That is still a huge amount of electricity and time to spend on commuting. I wouldn't tolerate that for long. That's what, 2-3 hours per day? I hope you are getting paid well for your time!

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
So you will inevitably get some battery degradation. However, with you mostly doing L2 charging it won't be as bad as if you were doing DC Fast charging 5 times a day. I will say in my daily commuter with the Bolt EV my stated range on the dash never changed from the max of 231 until they started doing the recall stuff on it to stop it from going to 100%. My Tesla Model X I've had since Oct 2019 the range actually increased with a firmware update. I charged the Bolt EV to 100% and the Tesla to 90% per the specs.

What's your workplace like? Do you think you could lobby to have them install one or two L2 chargers for you to sit at all day? I drive not as far as you do but it's offset by my employer putting charging stations all over our campus. It's starting to become more of an amenity and can really help with your range anxiety.

My round trip is about 75 miles. I have done this in a Chevy Bolt EV (230 mile range in summer) and a Fiat 500E (90 mile range in the summer) which turned into 185-190 and 65 respectively in the NC winters. The Fiat 500E was parked outside, and the Bolt EV was in a garage.

The Fiat was white knuckled once down to 2 miles of range because I took some folks out to lunch in it. The Bolt it was honestly never a problem.

Seeing you're in Michigan your 30% number might be a good number, as its colder there than in NC. That said, until some of these are out it's going to be hard to see how good/bad the thermal management is. It could be better if they use heat pumps and some other things, as most of the range degradation comes from the heating system keeping you warm. If you're cool with running heated sets only you actually get more range out of the car than you do running the heater (without a heat pump) since essentially it's a hair dryer heating the air inefficiently.

I've not seen much on the heating system of the vehicles yet, but I'm hoping they used a heat pump which would greatly improve heating in the winter in the cabin.

Honestly for me when I first went the Bolt I obsessed about the range for a long time, it took me maybe six months to care about as much as I cared about a gas gauge. I honestly think you'll be fine with the 252 miles or so you get worst case charging to 90% at home just from what is slowly coming out I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

My $0.02

Joewillie

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Firefighter
No worries with this commute. Rivian said range would improve/be higher in 2WD mode, or whatever they will call it.

I'm in northern Ohio too, and on the highways, doing 80 mph, I would assume the roads are clear and no need for 4wd. If the occasional blizzard blows through and the highways are snow covered, now, maybe your in 4x4 mode - but you aren't doing 80mph if the roads are a mess - you'll be doing 60 - stuck behind everyone else.

Your range will be fine. Don't sweat the range anxiety - it's overblown. My wife does 200+ miles a day, 1x a week, in her long range M3. Her original range was 310, two years later (30k miles) it is now at 291 max. She does a scheduled charge to 95% and gets home with approx 10% left. She won't crank the heat in the winter, but the heated seats help with that.

You'll be fine.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm haven't seen this mentioned at all. The Large pack R1T is shipping with a charger that takes 13 hours to do a full charge. If they don't put an upgraded charger in the max pack version, you're looking at close to 18 hours with the same size charger. You might be able to drive your commute in a snowstorm with a full battery, but if you don't have workplace L2 and home charging, you will have to do DCFC probably twice a week. If they do offer an upgraded charger, then it might be feasible on just home L2.

Sponsored

OP
OP

retart13

First Name
Nino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m340i, R1S
I'm haven't seen this mentioned at all. The Large pack R1T is shipping with a charger that takes 13 hours to do a full charge. If they don't put an upgraded charger in the max pack version, you're looking at close to 18 hours with the same size charger. You might be able to drive your commute in a snowstorm with a full battery, but if you don't have workplace L2 and home charging, you will have to do DCFC probably twice a week. If they do offer an upgraded charger, then it might be feasible on just home L2.
I have been wondering about this. At the alleged "up to 25 miles of charge per hour" range that would take me 8 hours on my longest days. How many amps is that set up to run on? 40 (32)? I saw Chargepoint has a 50 amp charger that can do 11.5+ kw but you lose the sync capability of having a Rivian charger.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have been wondering about this. At the alleged "up to 25 miles of charge per hour" range that would take me 8 hours on my longest days. How many amps is that set up to run on? 40 (32)? I saw Chargepoint has a 50 amp charger that can do 11.5+ kw but you lose the sync capability of having a Rivian charger.
Rivian's onboard charger is 48A. L2 spec maxes out at 80A.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That is assuming a 48A (or greater) EVSE.
The Rivian EVSE will be 48A.

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
I am in sort of similar shoes. I have about a 310 mile round trip commute to work that I make usually twice a week. I am fortunate though that I have a charger at work that should get me about 8-10 miles of charge per hour and I am on shift for 24 hours so I will be able to recharge from my 1 way commute while I am at work. I have a preorder for R1T with the regular large pack and don’t have much anxiety over that. The Max would be awesome, I just don’t think its worth 10k to me personally. I also live on the California central coast where the weather at home is constant year round though at my work it does get some big temp swings in the seasons though no snow or anything. Really just looking forward to having a truck that will drive me to work while I enjoy my coffee!

OP
OP

retart13

First Name
Nino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m340i, R1S
Sorry to revive an old thread, but now that some decent time has passed, I'm rethinking my situation. Just got the email yesterday after I had switched from Max to Large pack for end of year estimated delivery. I think I can reliably level 1 charge at work which may be enough to get me through the worst days. there is also 350kW charger that I can use for several minutes if needed. Thinking about biting the bullet and going for the large pack, although logically should probably just wait for the Max pack.

Wondering if there's any data out there that has changed opinions. Range seems pretty reliable even with off road tires.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sorry to revive an old thread, but now that some decent time has passed, I'm rethinking my situation. Just got the email yesterday after I had switched from Max to Large pack for end of year estimated delivery. I think I can reliably level 1 charge at work which may be enough to get me through the worst days. there is also 350kW charger that I can use for several minutes if needed. Thinking about biting the bullet and going for the large pack, although logically should probably just wait for the Max pack.

Wondering if there's any data out there that has changed opinions. Range seems pretty reliable even with off road tires.
Level 1 is only good for about 1 mi./hr of range... Won't do most people any good unless you barely dive or you leave it plugged in for A VERY long time.

OP
OP

retart13

First Name
Nino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m340i, R1S
Level 1 is only good for about 1 mi./hr of range... Won't do most people any good unless you barely dive or you leave it plugged in for A VERY long time.
More to stop the battery drain while sitting in the cold and to heat up under charge rather than pure battery. But yeah not really expecting to gain any real mileage from it, if any at all.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

More to stop the battery drain while sitting in the cold and to heat up under charge rather than pure battery. But yeah not really expecting to gain any real mileage from it, if any at all.
Interesting thread and responses.......what I sense throughout every one of your posts is a light amount of anxiety and you don't even own the truck yet......While I think the math works for the R1T, even in the winter at 70mph (on the freeway), it will often be borderline, which to me simply isn't worth the hassle. If the Fast Charger is out of order, then you are really going to stress......

L2 at work is critical and eliminates all of your issues, so that is where I would be focusing my efforts. Certainly there is a solution there waiting to happen and you're the person to make it so.

Otherwise, I'm still getting the Rivian, flipping it for $22K profit and buying a Maverick Hybrid and wait it out for a 450 Mile truck.....but hey, that's just me ;)....you get a free truck and wait it out for a truly longer range solution or significantly more infrastructure......
Sponsored