Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Thanks for the write up. I just got my spare installed this week. I am going to pull it out this weekend and do a trial run. I don't want to be doing it the first time on the side of the road or trail.

I have a gravel driveway so I'll probably use my hi lift jack with off road base as well. Once I have a mount for that, I'll probably carry it any time I go off-road.
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Yeah I would be good with body color = caliper color, but I think CY is already the least popular color. Not sure why teh yellow hate when it comes to cars in general. Making it even brighter probably wouldn’t help.
Yellow is one of those polarizing car paint choices. Ferraris can have excellent resale value in Fly Yellow for example, or Porsches in the similar "Speed Yellow" but pick the wrong yellow and a savvy trader will knock tens of thousands off the price because "they just don't sell at full market price because of the color" which sounds absurd, but proves true.

I think Rivian's whole color selection is "off" but it's their intent to have distinctive colors. I hard the spiel on colors at a Rivian event, challenged the salesman with "do people really buy that?" and he said it was all part of the marketing of the Rivian brand. I assume they've already concluded it was a fumble and they'll go into '23 or the R2 with more appealing colors.

https://stories.rivian.com/vehicle-colors

Toyota, Hyundai and I think a few others have gone to cartridge robots with a wider selection and lower cost.

These days, with wraps, I hope Rivian and XPEL offer a color selection in their "factory" wrap, then, just buy whatever paint you feel like and swap the XPEL whenever you have $5K burning a hole in your wallet and can't be bothered washing the car.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Good to know about Discount Tire, that’s where I usually go anyway. But there are also plenty of Pep Boys here in PA. ;)

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Thanks for the write up. I just got my spare installed this week. I am going to pull it out this weekend and do a trial run. I don't want to be doing it the first time on the side of the road or trail.

I have a gravel driveway so I'll probably use my hi lift jack with off road base as well. Once I have a mount for that, I'll probably carry it any time I go off-road.
Hi lifts are a great way to kill yourself :) Not useful for much.

A standard hydraulic bottle jack and base (IE: wood ) is fine.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi lifts are a great way to kill yourself :) Not useful for much.

A standard hydraulic bottle jack and base (IE: wood ) is fine.
Sounds like you took one to the mouth? Haha. Definitely not useful if you don’t know what you are doing and didn’t bother to learn ahead of time.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Sounds like you took one to the mouth? Haha. Definitely not useful if you don’t know what you are doing and didn’t bother to learn ahead of time.
Ohh, there certainly useful tools; but more or less a last resort tool. Favor has certainly been falling away from them in the offroading community in recent years, but they do serve a purpose when a job has to be done and they're the only reasonable option.

Changing a tire on a gravel driveway strikes me as the wrong tool for the job. Flat gravel driveway doesn't need it.

Haven't taken one to the mouth, but they have a dangerous track record.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ohh, there certainly useful tools; but more or less a last resort tool. Favor has certainly been falling away from them in the offroading community in recent years, but they do serve a purpose when a job has to be done and they're the only reasonable option.

Changing a tire on a gravel driveway strikes me as the wrong tool for the job. Flat gravel driveway doesn't need it.

Haven't taken one to the mouth, but they have a dangerous track record.
I guess I don't really follow the trends or what's "in favor". I just use the tools I have and know how to use. But then again when I started offroading we didn't anticipate #overlanding.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I hoped to see a more robust jack than the one that came with my 4500 lb Tacoma:muscle:

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
What’s the tonnage on that Rivian jack? Since EVs need no regular maintenance, the only thing I do regularly is to rotate my tires. I bought a 3 ton hydraulic Jack for my Model 3 in preparation for the Rivian. I hope that’s enough so curious to see what the supplied Jack is rated at.

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
Just curious did your installed spare get recognized by the tpms system or was that wheel blank on the tire pressure subscreen?

Sponsored

OP
OP
OverZealous

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Just curious did your installed spare get recognized by the tpms system or was that wheel blank on the tire pressure subscreen?
It did get recognized automatically! I was worried about this, too, but it just worked once I drove around a bit.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I would not recommend plugging a tire on a vehicle this heavy with high PSI. I looked into this when I had an identical issue to the OP, and was multiply told to do a full patch (typically a plug-patch). I think you are looking for a DIY solution but most tire shops won’t do regular plugs these days. Rivian offered to pay for my tire patch through PepBoys but the manager did it for free because he was excited to see the truck. It would have only been $30 if I had had to pay and they warranty their repairs.
I have run plugs on my Cummins tires for years. Higher pressure and a heavier truck. I have never had a plug fail. I have had a patch fail however. First time I aired down to run in sand the patch failed about an hour later. Tire shops seldom recommend DIY options. The other emergency kit to have with you is a Colby valve. The valve stems on the R1T are pretty vulnerable. At least the 20" are.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I guess I don't really follow the trends or what's "in favor". I just use the tools I have and know how to use. But then again when I started offroading we didn't anticipate #overlanding.
Hi-Lift jacks work well on a jeep or a truck with big metal bumpers. I carry one on my LJ. I won't be using one on my R1T though. Not even with the Jack Mate adapter. I may get an offroad floor jack.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have run plugs on my Cummins tires for years. Higher pressure and a heavier truck. I have never had a plug fail. I have had a patch fail however. First time I aired down to run in sand the patch failed about an hour later. Tire shops seldom recommend DIY options. The other emergency kit to have with you is a Colby valve. The valve stems on the R1T are pretty vulnerable. At least the 20" are.
To be fair, the people that told me that were the places that wouldn’t touch my truck so they weren’t gaining anything.

The items recommended were a plug-patch that’s basically a plug held in by a patch and it’s exactly what I got done to my tire. All of the research I did seemed to confirm the thought that these plug patches are superior to plugs alone. I’m no expert and have to rely on expertise of others on this type of stuff but $30 to take off my tire, plug-patch my tire, and remount everything seemed like a good deal.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I would not recommend plugging a tire on a vehicle this heavy with high PSI. I looked into this when I had an identical issue to the OP, and was multiply told to do a full patch (typically a plug-patch). I think you are looking for a DIY solution but most tire shops won’t do regular plugs these days. Rivian offered to pay for my tire patch through PepBoys but the manager did it for free because he was excited to see the truck. It would have only been $30 if I had had to pay and they warranty their repairs.
I've plugged front and rear tires on a diesel Excursion used as tow vehicle for a 10K+ lb trailer … running 50-60-70 psi in the rears with 1000lb tongue weight … years of hot and cold extreme weather towing and no problem with the tire plugs …
That said, I wouldn't run a plug in a front tire on the family Model X … just not interested in finding out I'm wrong.
Sponsored