Sponsored

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
I pre-ordered a set of @EV Sportline R1000 wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 tires back in August in anticipation for this winter. I liked the look of these, liked the idea of a stock +48 offset, and I anticipate that the tires will perform similarly to the Hakkapeliitta R3 set that I used on my previous truck. They arrived last weekend and I had a chance to install them today.

They were packaged with multiple layers of foam and cardboard securely strapped in place to ensure no shipping damage to the rims. Sorry, no pictures of the packaging. I was anxious to unwrap and stack them up in a corner of the garage last weekend so that I could get back to Christmas decoration duties.

Today I installed them and am very happy with the look.
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0580.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0582.JPEG

The +48 offset makes for a stock fit. I never use the lowest ride height but tried it out on a short drive and confirmed no rubbing at full-lock.
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0581.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0583.JPEG

TPMS sensors were included and registered automatically during a short test drive. My one disappointment is that the valve stems are recessed and difficult to access. It will not be fun trying to unscrew the valve cap in freezing temperatures. A set of four valve extensions were included for inflation but clearly are not meant to be left on while driving.
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0590
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0576.JPEG

My initial impression is that the tires roll smoother than the stock Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus on dry roads in mild temperatures. It will be a couple weeks before I have a chance to try them in snow and ice.
Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Nice setup! I have the R600s with the same tires. Coming from the 21" rims, the ride is pretty smooth. Efficiency definitely took a hit (93.8% of EPA on the 21" to 74.1% with this setup; much of this is temp. related). Out in a storm this weekend, I could still slide the car around snowy curves (oops), but didn't experience any issues with stopping power in snow mode.

Last edited:

YVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have been looking at same set up , currently running the 21 all season, Rivian service indicated that they won 't re set from 21 to 20 unless I use the P all season. Anyone else have this issue and should I care if the system is reset to register 20 inch vs 21 rim ?

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have been looking at same set up , currently running the 21 all season, Rivian service indicated that they won 't re set from 21 to 20 unless I use the P all season. Anyone else have this issue and should I care if the system is reset to register 20 inch vs 21 rim ?
If I were in your shoes I would opt for a 275/60R20 tire size. That way there is no need to adjust for diameter. Yes, it will be heavier than the 21” but others seem to have made this swap with no complaints.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

I pre-ordered a set of @EV Sportline R1000 wheels with Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 tires back in August in anticipation for this winter. I liked the look of these, liked the idea of a stock +48 offset, and I anticipate that the tires will perform similarly to the Hakkapeliitta R3 set that I used on my previous truck. They arrived last weekend and I had a chance to install them today.

They were packaged with multiple layers of foam and cardboard securely strapped in place to ensure no shipping damage to the rims. Sorry, no pictures of the packaging. I was anxious to unwrap and stack them up in a corner of the garage last weekend so that I could get back to Christmas decoration duties.

IMG_0580.JPEG
IMG_0582.JPEG

The +48 offset makes for a stock fit. I never use the lowest ride height but tried it out on a short drive and confirmed no rubbing at full-lock.
IMG_0581.JPEG
IMG_0583.JPEG

TPMS sensors were included and registered automatically during a short test drive. My one disappointment is that the valve stems are recessed and difficult to access. It will not be fun trying to unscrew the valve cap in freezing temperatures. A set of four valve extensions were included for inflation but clearly are not meant to be left on while driving.
IMG_0590.jpeg
IMG_0576.JPEG

My initial impression is that the tires roll smoother than the stock Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus on dry roads in mild temperatures. It will be a couple weeks before I have a chance to try them in snow and ice.
Looks amazing, love that color! Send pics to [email protected] and we'll share!

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
One nice advantage of the R1000s over the R600 is the more “normal” offset, which prevents as much range loss due to “popped out” wheels. I do like the R600 look, though.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Very dope. Thanks for sharing. These rim/tire com o looks great on the R1T. I'm in love with those rims. They looked surprisingly flush and aero looking. I might just get a set!

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Liking the look of the rims, I'm considering them for next winter (this year I just swapped out the 20s for my Nokian LT3s on the stock 20" AT rims) - but your comment on the recessed valve stem was interesting. I'll be holding off until I hear some real-world comments on how much of a pain this is.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

One nice advantage of the R1000s over the R600 is the more “normal” offset, which prevents as much range loss due to “popped out” wheels. I do like the R600 look, though.
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_20231211_123448

It still requires testing and data. I'll be testing the +18 offset Ram 2363s with AS tires compared to the stock 20" rims in spring.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
IMG_20231211_123448.gif

It still requires testing and data. I'll be testing the +18 offset Ram 2363s with AS tires compared to the stock 20" rims in spring.
I definitely lost efficiency, but it’s hard for me to attribute it precisely, since I only use my R600s in winter, with winter tires. I am looking forward to hearing about your experience.

Sponsored

Kanuk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘54 Power Wagon, R1T, Cayenne Turbo, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Slacker

IMG_0580.JPEG
IMG_0582.JPEG

IMG_0581.JPEG
IMG_0583.JPEG

IMG_0590.jpeg
IMG_0576.JPEG

Looks amazing, love that color! Send pics to [email protected] and we'll share!

Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0580.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0582.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0581.JPEG
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0583.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0590
Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_0576.JPEG

I went the same route as you, except I chose the studded LT3’s.

Almost all of my winter driving is done in the Coast Mountains in south western B.C. Black ice, ice, and frozen slush are pretty much prevalent all winter in the passes and the area we reside in. The studs are a game changer for me in these conditions. The truck really sticks to the road. I’m guessing the weight of the R1T plays a big part in that.

I might be out to lunch on the valve stem design, but I like it. If the valve stems were proud of the rims I think they’d be susceptible to damage from things like curbs, rocks (if your off-road), mud holes, and so on because the face of the rim is close to being flush with the sidewalls. When the valve stems are inset in the rim like they are, they are fully protected. I keep an extender in the truck so it’s there if needed.

The quality of the rims was a pleasant surprise as well. They seem very well made. The tire dealer told me that they balanced with a minimal amount of weight(s).

So, all in all I’m really happy with the whole package.

Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_1699

Rivian R1T R1S Installed: EV Sportline R1000 wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3 winter tires IMG_1700

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went the same route as you, except I chose the studded LT3’s.

Almost all of my winter driving is done in the Coast Mountains in south western B.C. Black ice, ice, and frozen slush are pretty much prevalent all winter in the passes and the area we reside in. The studs are a game changer for me in these conditions. The truck really sticks to the road. I’m guessing the weight of the R1T plays a big part in that.

I might be out to lunch on the valve stem design, but I like it. If the valve stems were proud of the rims I think they’d be susceptible to damage from things like curbs, rocks (if your off-road), mud holes, and so on because the face of the rim is close to being flush with the sidewalls. When the valve stems are inset in the rim like they are, they are fully protected. I keep an extender in the truck so it’s there if needed.

The quality of the rims was a pleasant surprise as well. They seem very well made. The tire dealer told me that they balanced with a minimal amount of weight(s).

So, all in all I’m really happy with the whole package.

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg
Nice setup. Great to hear it is working well for you.

I would have considered studded tires if most of my miles were in snow and ice territory. However, the majority of my winter miles will be in the Bay Area and on the road to and from Tahoe.

Agreed that the valve stems need to be recessed to avoid damage. More precisely, the small diameter of the valve stem access hole means I can barely get my fingertips in there to unscrew the valve cap.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Looks good!

So I got the LT3's as well, but on the OEM 20".

Since they are the same tire size as the OEM AT 20" are you guys inflating them to 48PSI, or something different?

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks good!

So I got the LT3's as well, but on the OEM 20".

Since they are the same tire size as the OEM AT 20" are you guys inflating them to 48PSI, or something different?
I am starting mine out at 60 psi. LT tires are made for higher pressures which should also help with efficiency.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I am starting mine out at 60 psi. LT tires are made for higher pressures which should also help with efficiency.
Nokian recommends (somewhere on their website) +3 PSI over manufacturer for their winter tires. So I'm at 51.
Sponsored

Last edited: