Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Extension cord and heating pad?
Probably also a decent option. You'd definitely run less risk that way (hot water on cold surfaces can cause all sorts of damage. Definitely never use my method on glass unless you're very careful as it can cause cracking). It might take a good long while though, especially if it's very cold outside, but yea, don't see why that wouldn't work!

Oh, also be careful of electrical hazards since you'd be getting the blanket wet and potentially shorting out the heating elements.
Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

And here's a screen capture for the trip:

IMG_20221103_105209.jpg

I feel pretty confident that we can easily make the trip down to Livermore in December for the wedding!
2.15 in those conditions is killer, is that about what you normally get? That is a pretty average efficiency for me.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
2.15 in those conditions is killer, is that about what you normally get? That is a pretty average efficiency for me.
I checked and my overall efficiency for ~3K miles is 2.19. So only about a 2% loss from 2.19 to 2.15.

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer
drove through wet snow flurries tonight and this is an issue.... I assume others have encountered this problem... need some stick on thin film heater elements
Rivian R1T R1S Initial Winter Driving on Snow -- Experience in R1T on 20" AT 1 (1)

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
drove through wet snow flurries tonight and this is an issue.... I assume others have encountered this problem... need some stick on thin film heater elements
1 (1).jpeg
That is interesting you would think Rivian would know this during testing. Do you think a spray on ceramic coating would help repel this especially while moving?

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I'll be taking my heat gun and an extension cord to the mountain next time I go.
I think I'd try a hairdryer before the heat gun...be sad to deform the plastic whilst melting a bit of ice... ;)

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I think I'd try a hairdryer before the heat gun...be sad to deform the plastic whilst melting a bit of ice... ;)
My heat gun has multiple settings. Lowest is about the same as a hair dryer on hot. Hottest would turn the handle into a molten pile of plastic. You just need to know how to handle your heat gun... :oops:

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
My heat gun has multiple settings. Lowest is about the same as a hair dryer on hot. Hottest would turn the handle into a molten pile of plastic. You just need to know how to handle your heat gun... :oops:
Common problem... 😏

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

This has me a bit concerned. I live in a place where the roads are covered with ice throughout winter. Regen braking causing skidding could be dangerous. Having said that I have never driven an EV so not sure if this is something that will be easily/safely compensated for by driving technique. I look forward to more comments about winter driving...
ive heard other people mention that the strong regen actually caused then to skid in snow/ice conditions because it made the wheels lock up. the work around is to gently ride the throttle to back off the regen.

Rivian needs to add the option to turn down regen in more if not turn it off altogether. maybe add a snow mode that (surprised they dont have one already).

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

We need tire companies to make winter tires for the 21 inch wheels. I doubt I'll get my R1S before late 2023 but living in CO already anxious about it.
not really a lot of ROI for tire manufacturers to make snow tires for the 21" Rivian wheels since its the only vehicle with that size. might be a while before we see one.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
ive heard other people mention that the strong regen actually caused then to skid in snow/ice conditions because it made the wheels lock up. the work around is to gently ride the throttle to back off the regen.

Rivian needs to add the option to turn down regen in more if not turn it off altogether. maybe add a snow mode that (surprised they dont have one already).
Yeah the people saying "just don't lift off the gas" are people who have never driven in heavy snow/ice. When you're already losing control of the vehicle you tend to lose fine motor control and precisely balancing throttle to avoid a lockup is beyond the capability of most drivers.

There's a reason ABS exists and has been mandated on cars for over a decade, and it's precisely because most people can't properly threshold brake on a good day, never mind an emergency scenario. And here it's even worse, because you're balancing braking with the *throttle*, so not only can you over brake, you can accelerate into your crash.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

here it's even worse, because you're balancing braking with the *throttle*, so not only can you over brake, you can accelerate into your crash.
I've had sudden acceleration after being thrashed from hitting unexpected potholes, so I agree.
Sponsored