SeaRivian23

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This blind spot camera view only exists because Teslas come without a Blind Spot Warning system. It took them quite a while to come up with this camera workaround. Personally, I'm not a big fan; it just doesn't make sense to have to look in the opposite direction when you're merging, right? It's a bit strange that Teslas don't come with this basic safety system, especially considering it's been standard in most cars for a decade!

It seems all Tesla drivers really want it in their Rivians too! Let's all give it a shot and maybe even re-learn how to use our trusty side view mirrors. The good news is, now there's a handy light that pops up if something's lurking in your blind spot, and it even gives you a friendly ding! No need to divert your attention from where it should be ā€“ on the road ahead and your merging spot!
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

love the PIN to Drive away feature suggestion. and the Valet or Home mode that clips speed to say 15 MPH

Sponsored

OP
OP

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer
I agree that neither Tesla nor Rivian GPS is good for much. Waze would be better in both. Good news about the camera blind spot warning update in the future.

OP
OP

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer
This blind spot camera view only exists because Teslas come without a Blind Spot Warning system. It took them quite a while to come up with this camera workaround. Personally, I'm not a big fan; it just doesn't make sense to have to look in the opposite direction when you're merging, right? It's a bit strange that Teslas don't come with this basic safety system, especially considering it's been standard in most cars for a decade!

It seems all Tesla drivers really want it in their Rivians too! Let's all give it a shot and maybe even re-learn how to use our trusty side view mirrors. The good news is, now there's a handy light that pops up if something's lurking in your blind spot, and it even gives you a friendly ding! No need to divert your attention from where it should be ā€“ on the road ahead and your merging spot!
I believe that you are correct that Tesla developed the blind spot camera because people wanted something and there was no warning system so that was their work around (although the new Model 3 does now have both the warning system and the side view camera functionality) but I think itā€™s actually not only a great compliment, itā€™s superior to side view mirrors because it eliminates the blind spot. From a perspective of aerodynamics no mirrors would be better too. And just like someone can say itā€™s a distraction to have to look at a camera view of your side view, itā€™s no more of a distraction than it is to look at a mirror thatā€™s not directly in front of you. Perhaps the solution is a HUD with the image on it closer to the forward view or even in the window where the side view mirror is now visible.

I know creatures of habit donā€™t like change and it is a scary thought that one day a car will not have side mirrors - that cameras might replace them - but I think thatā€™s where things are headed.

Time will tell

Last edited:

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black R1S, '23 Pacifica Hybrid, '17 Grand Sport CE
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

Good observations. I actually think the doors are too LIGHT, so they donā€™t swing with enough momentum to shut properly. Feels to me like that was an area Rivian worked to save weight given the mega battery.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T

The camera feed would be very much appreciated, but I love having the physical indicators on the mirrors themselves. I hope Rivian doesn't remove these thinking they are unnecessary after they implement this feature.

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Just for some perspective regarding the doors:
This vehicle is designed to ford up to 42.1" of water.

If you didn't have beefy seals in there, you'd get a bath whenever (for some people, *if*) you did that.

So, the doors, by nature, will be hard to close. In my experience, they do get 'easier' over time. But I'll take a hard-to-close door with the guarantee that I'll stay dry over bougie 'soft close' doors any day.

Just my .02

OP
OP

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer
Good observations. I actually think the doors are too LIGHT, so they donā€™t swing with enough momentum to shut properly. Feels to me like that was an area Rivian worked to save weight given the mega battery.
You could be right that they are actually too light to close properly. Maybe that is it. For whatever reason you need to get a little more momentum going to get the door to close than other cars and trucks that I've driven. The doors might need some re-engineering to make them close more easily. Not my expertise so I haven't a clue how it could be fixed, I'm just the end user observing the problem.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

If you didn't have beefy seals in there, you'd get a bath whenever (for some people, *if*) you did that.

So, the doors, by nature, will be hard to close. In my experience, they do get 'easier' over time. But I'll take a hard-to-close door with the guarantee that I'll stay dry over bougie 'soft close' doors any day.

Just my .02
Yeah I agree that the doors close easier over time. I too had the issue of doors not being closed properly when I first got my truck and now it is almost never that I have to try a second time to get the door shut sufficiently.

OP
OP

RivianPioneer

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Lawyer

Just my .02
I'm sure I'll get used to it. It's more about the passengers and my kids hopping in or out. Pain in the neck when they hop out and walk away, leaving me to deal with it. That's why I think soft-close doors would be good, although there have been some good points in this thread about additional equipment in the doors adding more weight, so that might not be the best solution either.

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Clubs

I totaly agree with the door handle placement...it's an awkward reach. I do have to say that the alexa navigation is horrible. It takes me on really weird routes that I know are wrong. It told me to take an exit ramp, then get back on and cross 3 lanes of busy traffic to get me back on the hwy I was just on. I also just can't give it a name of a place and have it take me there, it always just guesses wrong and wants to take me to something else. The nav in the Tesla is way better.
Sponsored