Sponsored

Indications of an R1 refresh

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I postponed my order a while ago in hopes benefiting from the refresh while recognizing I am taking some “decontenting“ risk. (But, hey, people say the camp speaker is buggy anyway.) I hope OP is right. I think OP’s logic is solid but it really depends on where Rivian is with the engineering and its procurement process.

Prior to the R2/R3 unveiling, I was hoping most of all for a heat pump and electrochromic roof. But then the new steering wheel stole my heart.

There’s something I never expected to happen!
Nix the speaker, replace with drawer, charge me the same amount. Boom, you just made my vehicle $500 more profitable. I'm doing my part.
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I postponed my order a while ago in hopes benefiting from the refresh while recognizing I am taking some “decontenting“ risk. (But, hey, people say the camp speaker is buggy anyway.) I hope OP is right. I think OP’s logic is solid but it really depends on where Rivian is with the engineering and its procurement process.

Prior to the R2/R3 unveiling, I was hoping most of all for a heat pump and electrochromic roof. But then the new steering wheel stole my heart.

There’s something I never expected to happen!
Camp speaker is way buggy. Mine is useless unfortunately. I wish they would send an update to fix them.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@ThatOneGuy all things being equal I'd rather a larger battery with resistive heat than smaller battery and heat pump. Much reduced things to go wrong with resistive heat and range would actually be greater when not using heat. If this was Rivians strategy, and I'd be surprised if it was, this would be a case to get an R1 before the refresh.
Not for you specifically but not sure why people seem so high on heat pumps.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Nix the speaker, replace with drawer, charge me the same amount. Boom, you just made my vehicle $500 more profitable. I'm doing my part.
At this point I'd throw $300 more at Rivian in the Gear Shop if they had a nicely designed drawer to go in that space.

niknokseyer

First Name
Niknok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
I know this has been asked multiple times but feels like they are pushing for a Q1 sale and I’m on the verge of taking it.

I’m not in a hurry but if I take one now, I’ll be getting a good deal via incentives. My only reservation is what if they have a refresh (e.g. heat pump, better cameras) of the R1s post their April shutdown.

I’m fine not having the NACS port yet (but who knows if that can come early).

I’m wondering if I’m overthinking it or should I just wait or just take a good deal.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

@ThatOneGuy all things being equal I'd rather a larger battery with resistive heat than smaller battery and heat pump. Much reduced things to go wrong with resistive heat and range would actually be greater when not using heat. If this was Rivians strategy, and I'd be surprised if it was, this would be a case to get an R1 before the refresh.
Not for you specifically but not sure why people seem so high on heat pumps.
Oh I would totally take the larger battery over the heat pump as well

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
(I posted this on another thread about the R1 refresh, but it got merged into a thread about the latest Firmware update. So, I'll put it here instead)

They've also confirmed they're going to change something about the battery packs. But it's possible that's already been done as they've started-ish to deliver Standard+ battery packs.

The updated pack design, could be just minor improvements, or it could be a redesign of the cooling, or it could be 800V switched for charging, or it could be better cooling and a heat pump or {insert your hopes and dreams here}. We haven't heard any good rumors about any battery pack updates.

I feel like of the things we've seen on the R2/R3, I think the steering wheel is the most likely visible feature to get ported to the R1 as soon as possible. I say that because it seems like it'd have the least impact of other parts if the size and airbag is the same. Handling how the buttons work would be pretty easy to handle via SW config. But, we have no way of knowing how for along they are on their production of the new steering wheels. They had clearly put a lot of time into the development and calibration of the control wheels, but that doesn't mean that they've started production yet to include them in the R1 in April/May.

The other thing that I think might happen is the autonomous driving features could be upgraded. We've seen camo'd R1's with cameras on the side mirrors, just like the R2/R3. It's possible they're trying to commonize the vehicle electronics ahead of R2. That could include vehicle network (very likely), infotainment and driver display computers (seems likely to me), ADAS (possible), heat pump (doesn't seem as related), 400/800V (???), ...

The R2 is also going to use the 4695 batteries. That's all but confirmed not coming to the R1. So, it's possible that even if the R2 had 800V, that the R1 wouldn't get that. In fact, maybe the R2 tri-motor is so fast because it is running 800V.

I will also say that Rivian is generally pretty good about under promising and over delivering. (Better than most.) See the R3 and R3X as examples. The sell off of demo vehicles seems like the R1 refresh could be enough different that they want a different set of vehicles ready as examples.

Sponsored

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I bought a replacement drawer from a site that fits in the same spot, has a fingerprint unlock and is recognized by the vehicle to lock/unlock the drawer from the main screen.

Rivian R1T R1S Indications of an R1 refresh 20240308_143645
Rivian R1T R1S Indications of an R1 refresh 20240311_221619

At this point I'd throw $300 more at Rivian in the Gear Shop if they had a nicely designed drawer to go in that space.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
The R2 is also going to use the 4695 batteries. That's all but confirmed not coming to the R1. So, it's possible that even if the R2 had 800V, that the R1 wouldn't get that. In fact, maybe the R2 tri-motor is so fast because it is running 800V.
In other threads people did the math on the quoted charging times and concluded that the R2 is likely 400v.

Also, 800v does not make the car faster - the main advantage is that it allows thinner (and thus less expensive) HV wiring. The power is still the same. Some clever wiring and trickery can allow 800v cars to charge faster, but it has no impact on vehicle performance.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
In other threads people did the math on the quoted charging times and concluded that the R2 is likely 400v.

Also, 800v does not make the car faster - the main advantage is that it allows thinner (and thus less expensive) HV wiring. The power is still the same. Some clever wiring and trickery can allow 800v cars to charge faster, but it has no impact on vehicle performance.
I forget exactly where I saw it, but I remember seeing a spec for the same motor having different max power output for 400V vs 800V inputs. The difference wasn't that much, just like 10-20% more. You can see this in EVs because they always say you need like 90%+ charge to get maximum 0-60 runs.

Carscott

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda odyssey toyota Prius v
Are there any other pre price hike order holders still holding out to see what may happen with R1 refresh. Honestly I like the launch edition but I’d like to see May 21 quarterly results before initiating a purchase. I’m hopeful for profits from edv sales to Amazon in Q1 that were delayed from Q4 to finally show positive per vehicle sales. Let me know what other locked in price order holders are thinking in light of an April refresh.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I still have a pre price hike preorder and I think I may as well wait to see what changes come out after April.
Sponsored