Sponsored

I just read where RJ was critiquing people who purchase gasoline vehicles.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Guess we have to wait and see.
You can wait and see. I already know. Do you realize there are like 275,000,000 ICE vehicles in the U.S.? Even if that number dropped significantly in the next decade or two, there will still be lots of demand for gas and therefore gas stations. The infrastructure for gas is already so vast that closing a decent proportion of them isn't going to cause any issues road tripping them. Think about it....there are areas where you drive past 10 gas stations in just a mile or two. They are everywhere. And think about this---20 years ago there were more than 200,000 gas stations in the U.S. That number has been declining for decades, yet they are still everywhere.

As for road trips, ICE cars can travel A LOT further than EVs before refueling, on average. So they don't really even need as many refueling locations. I have a Jeep and an Audi that I split the vast majority of my daily driving and road trips. Both vehicles can easily get 500 miles before needing fuel. How many fuel stops do you think I'd need to drive coast to coast?
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
You can wait and see. I already know. Do you realize there are like 275,000,000 ICE vehicles in the U.S.? Even if that number dropped significantly in the next decade or two, there will still be lots of demand for gas and therefore gas stations. The infrastructure for gas is already so vast that closing a decent proportion of them isn't going to cause any issues road tripping them. Think about it....there are areas where you drive past 10 gas stations in just a mile or two. They are everywhere. And think about this---20 years ago there were more than 200,000 gas stations in the U.S. That number has been declining for decades, yet they are still everywhere.

As for road trips, ICE cars can travel A LOT further than EVs before refueling, on average. So they don't really even need as many refueling locations. I have a Jeep and an Audi that I split the vast majority of my daily driving and road trips. Both vehicles can easily get 500 miles before needing fuel. How many fuel stops do you think I'd need to drive coast to coast?
Your opinion isn’t a fact. There were hundreds of millions of flip phones 20 years ago. How many are left now? When all car companies stop selling light duty ice vehicles in mid to late 2030s you won’t even have a choice to buy a new ice. That’s my opinion on where things are headed.

Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
This is one of those things, where people can vote with their money. Make or lose money based on your bets. See you in the markets

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is uncalled for and bad form for a CEO. Don’t get personal. Just focus on the ideas, principles and facts of the point you want to make. If you make the argument, the data will prove the point. Don’t attack people, demonstrate the superiority of your position. I think he should apologize.
♫ world's smallest violin plays ♫ ...

Sponsored

A Land Rover Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, PorscheGTS, BMWi3, Tacoma Crew
The more I see of RJ the less I like him. I’m sure that’s an unpopular opinion around here. He just strikes me as arrogant and stubborn. Granted he’s done an amazing job getting his company going but I don’t think I’d want to hang out with him.
Really?? When I talked with hi he seemed very to the point and inquisitive and kind. I did not pick up anything arrogant. Unlike the MUSK.. what a piece of work that guy is. When you have enough money to start a fund that shorts your competitions stock price in huge volumes... what a real KOOK!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Guess we have to wait and see.
You could road trip in a non-Tesla EV in 2018, but it sucked and required a lot of planning and extra time. Today isn't nearly as bad. I expect the gasoline phase-out is going to be a lot like the reverse of that. In 2030 you probably still won't have to think about it. 2035 most likely as well, but by 2040, a lot is likely to change where you might have to plan out your stops.

People like to say EVs won't work for them today, but most of the people saying it are just scared of the change that's required today. It won't be that way by 2040.

EmPickle

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Honda Odyssey, Miata
Occupation
Geek
Does anyone share my concern that after next election many anti-ICE policies will be reversed!
Not in Europe or China. The global market is moving. He's not wrong.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I guess I misunderstood. I thought he said that about buying an ICE vehicle today. I probably should have read the quote before posting. Still though, I think mass adoption of EV technology is going to take longer than most forum members here....pricing is going to be crucial. Perception will also be important. If people don't think EVs will be appropriate for their lifestyle and needs, then they simply aren't going to be interested. I see a lot of that sentiment in my area and I generally agree with it. If I were to buy an EV today, it really couldn't be my only vehicle. But honestly, I have multiple cars and could easily live with one of them being an EV. I'm still choosing to wait for them to get better though....as much as I like technology, I've never been much of an early adopter.
Buying one EV for a multi car household is where it starts. Then once you own one you realize that they are a superior technology as far as performance and day to day convenience. Then sooner than you realized youll fully transition. That's what happened to my household.

Range on a day to day basis has not been an issue for me in the entire year I've owned my Rivian. I haven't had to make a single extra consideration in the entire time I've owned the truck during normal use. I suspect most people who can charge at home would say the same thing. It simply isn't an issue at all for my household.

All I hear about are road trips but most people aren't taking cross country road trips. I'd much rather fly if I'm headed cross country. I can make a much shorter trip and time is something of value to me at this point in my life as it seems extremely limited. Those that are taking long trips its usually a couple times a year at max and if they do the math the extra time spent charging is still less than the cumulative time spent with even one weekly fill up in an ICE.

20 MIN spent fueling a week, including travel time to and from gas stations, once a week is over 17 hours a year. I know my distance trips don't require an extra 17 hours a year in charge stops. So far this year I have an extra 40 minutes added there so more than 16 hours saved.

I just don't see the time waste you're claiming sorry.
Sponsored