ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Everyone has a sob story about why they should be higher on the list than the next customer.

This reminds me of most places I've worked, where someone with a kid thinks they deserve more time off, or at the least a much more flexible schedule, than someone without kids because they have to tote their kid around somewhere.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
That’s not my experience. I’ve had a VW and a few Toyotas and Rivian has had much more communication than either.
VW and Toyota aren't Porsche and Lexus. Big difference. And Rivian aspires to be more like Porsche and Lexus than VW and Toyota....at least I sure hope so.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Vast majority of R1S deliveries are still pre-2021 orders, you aren’t being robbed. I ordered 2/1/2020 and still don’t have it. 20 mins from SC and not OC interior.

Rivncoaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
that's exactly my point, (agree w mitchel 674). more transparency and fairness. i agree, its a tough environment for manufacturing, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't honestly correspond with your customers.
And, the cutting of the line is absurd, very unfair. Supply line constraints did not affect their ability to communicate openly and honestly.

as for Rivian honoring legacy pricing showing they care about their customers, I don't buy that. they honored the pricing after a backlash and cancellations.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, @mitchel674 and @DallasRivianR1S . I understand your concerns and frustrations, but I'd like to offer some perspective on the matter.
  1. It's important not to presume that certain people are cutting the line for deliveries. In some cases, those who ordered later might receive their vehicles sooner due to specific configurations and current availability. Manufacturing and delivery processes can be complex and influenced by numerous factors.
  2. As for labeling people as "apologists" or "whiners," it's crucial to remember that we're all here because we share an interest in Rivian's innovative products. It's a young U.S. company trying to transform the auto industry while navigating a global pandemic and financial crisis. Giving them some slack during these challenging times is essential.
  3. Regarding the legacy pricing, Rivian did adjust their decision after customer backlash. However, this demonstrates that they are willing to listen to their customers and make adjustments accordingly, which shows their commitment to customer satisfaction.
  4. Patience and understanding are vital when it comes to waiting lists and communication issues. Rivian is still a young company, learning and growing as they navigate the complex automotive industry. Communication can always be improved, but focusing on the bigger picture - the amazing vehicles they are producing - is crucial.
  5. Investing in startups is not for everyone. If you prefer the established practices of companies like Mercedes or Porsche, you may find their vehicles better suited to your expectations. Public forums are not the place for unfounded allegations. Let's try to maintain a constructive and supportive atmosphere as we discuss our shared enthusiasm for Rivian's vehicles.
We're all here because we believe in Rivian's potential to revolutionize the electric vehicle industry. Let's continue to support them in their journey and focus on the positive aspects of their incredible products.

OP
OP

DallasRivianR1S

First Name
Krispi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
big wheel
Occupation
donut maker
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, @mitchel674 and @DallasRivianR1S . I understand your concerns and frustrations, but I'd like to offer some perspective on the matter.
  1. It's important not to presume that certain people are cutting the line for deliveries. In some cases, those who ordered later might receive their vehicles sooner due to specific configurations and current availability. Manufacturing and delivery processes can be complex and influenced by numerous factors.
  2. As for labeling people as "apologists" or "whiners," it's crucial to remember that we're all here because we share an interest in Rivian's innovative products. It's a young U.S. company trying to transform the auto industry while navigating a global pandemic and financial crisis. Giving them some slack during these challenging times is essential.
  3. Regarding the legacy pricing, Rivian did adjust their decision after customer backlash. However, this demonstrates that they are willing to listen to their customers and make adjustments accordingly, which shows their commitment to customer satisfaction.
  4. Patience and understanding are vital when it comes to waiting lists and communication issues. Rivian is still a young company, learning and growing as they navigate the complex automotive industry. Communication can always be improved, but focusing on the bigger picture - the amazing vehicles they are producing - is crucial.
  5. Investing in startups is not for everyone. If you prefer the established practices of companies like Mercedes or Porsche, you may find their vehicles better suited to your expectations. Public forums are not the place for unfounded allegations. Let's try to maintain a constructive and supportive atmosphere as we discuss our shared enthusiasm for Rivian's vehicles.
@Rivncoaster
not sure i agree with you, but i appreciate the polite discourse without name-calling that is so prevalent today.
1. there are definitely some folks cutting the line, there are many posts about this here in these forums
2. giving the company slack does not preclude suggestions for better communication. constructive feedback, is just that
3. the adjustment of pricing was done as the cancellations were probably quite significant, and the street would have punished their SP severely
4. the fact that we are all still here waiting years for a vehicle shows patience, and I agree that the vehicles are impressive. however, there is no reason for the lack of transparency. people have to plan for a car, and this ambiguity about delivery times is quite sub-optimal for making life decisions for most families.
5. the criticisms are constructive. it is possible to be supportive while still pointing out what a company can do better. not just blind enthusiasm

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Everyone has a sob story about why they should be higher on the list than the next customer.

This reminds me of most places I've worked, where someone with a kid thinks they deserve more time off, or at the least a much more flexible schedule, than someone without kids because they have to tote their kid around somewhere.
Not me. Never had a sob story. Waited somewhat patiently, and was pleasantly surprised when my R1T arrived earlier than expected. YMMV

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...We're all here because we believe in Rivian's potential to revolutionize the electric vehicle industry. Let's continue to support them in their journey and focus on the positive aspects of their incredible products.
That's just it. We are NOT all here as you state.

Some of us just want to know how the production and delivery is going and issues with vehicles and the company.

I agree with OP that communication from Rivian is poor and that their responses to preorder holders questions with canned form reply shows lack of eye to details.

I believe there is a bit of how great Rivian is and the demand is unlimited attitude by the company, inspire of production woes and services issues. It is almost arrogant, especially given how they release their "stories" and listening to their earnings call by the leadership (all of them including RJ).

Rivncoaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
We're all here because we believe in Rivian's potential to revolutionize the electric vehicle industry. Let's continue to support them in their journey and focus on the positive aspects of their incredible products.
I hope that sharing your thoughts here has helped you feel heard. Best of luck, and I hope you get your Rivian soon!

OP
OP

DallasRivianR1S

First Name
Krispi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
big wheel
Occupation
donut maker

i NEVER said I should be higher, just said that I have a need for a car, and need more concrete timelines to plan my life. the distribution should be fair, with no line cuts, and full transparency

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
i NEVER said I should be higher, just said that I have a need for a car, and need more concrete timelines to plan my life. the distribution should be fair, with no line cuts, and full transparency
That makes total sense from your perspective as someone waiting. Unfortunately that isn't the case always for Rivian. You're in Texas right? Assume someone in Washington state has an R1S on order and the car is shipped there. Right before the deal goes through the guy loses his job, or changes his mind or his horoscope says don't buy the car. Now there is an SUV sitting a few thousand miles away from you that no longer has an owner.

What should Rivian as a business do? Should they ship it all the way to Texas that would cost a couple grand because you're next on the list, or should the find someone local who wants to buy it and not incur any additional shipping costs? I know what I'd do if I was running Rivian.

I get that from your perspective the guy who got his way before he was supposed to jumped the line and on its face that is bullshit. From Rivian's perspective it was the best business move. They need to put that first to make money. I'm sure you know intellectually that Rivian isn't intentionally screwing you over. That wouldn't be very smart business. Their decisions aren't personal, they can't be if they want to survive. I understand that from the perspective of some people that sucks.

It's also worth noting that in my example Rivian cannot predict that the guy who said he was going to buy the vehicle doesn't wind up doing it. The potential buyer might have not even been able to predict it. In that situation it's no one's fault, but it leaves a less than ideal business situation. I think in order for Rivian to perfectly predict who gets what in what order they cannot have any cancellations and no one can change configuration and the supply chain has to be 100%. Unfortunately we know that not a single one of those things is true.

You mentioned you were an oncologist right? Do you give guarantees to your chemo patients? Of course not, there's no such thing in medicine and no such thing in manufacturing either as in both there are plenty of variables not under your control.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DallasRivianR1S

First Name
Krispi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
big wheel
Occupation
donut maker
your example is logical, and I would agree. However, that situation is more the exception than the rule. they usually don't ship the car until they have a contract signed (their 8 step process). there are plenty of opportunities along the way to "redistribute" to people waiting longer.
I am also willing to bet, that if someone was offered said vehicle that is now in CA, and had to get it from CA to TX (at the purchasers expense), that many would do it. I know I would

genepopemt

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Ford F-350
Occupation
retired
i pre-ordered 3/1/2021. got pushed back twice already. Current delivery date is July-September. i mentioned to Rivian that I need another car ASAP. My daughter requires a car, and I wanted to give her my Accord. I can't do that without another vehicle to drive.
I told emailed them many times letting them know that I am flexible on color and options, but it took 3 emails to even get a response. And the response was a form letter. Not sure if they even read my emails. I even offered to pick up at the factory.
I showed them links from this forum, about people in Dallas who ordered after me, who already have their R1S. This is because they 1st told me, that I am being pushed back as I am not near a service center. (there is one 5 miles from my house).
I even had to reach out over 5 times before I got a call back about a demo drive. The demo drive (in Dallas), was very short. R1S drove great, and looked to be well put together. Seems like an amazing vehicle.
Doing my best to wait, even got some of my friends to put down deposits for R1Ss. Throughout the whole process, I have not felt that I was valued as a customer. I don't feel the communications have been timely, honest or forthright.
Hopefully they get through these growing pains. Poor customer service can certainly ruin even the best product experience.
Welcome to the rivian non-owners club! I have had an R1S on order since October 2020. At one point it said Q4 2020 delivery and twice now it got pushed back to "Processing Estimate" I fully expect it to be reset to "Processing Estimate" at the end of April 2023.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
🎵 But I can dream, can't I? 🎵

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

While I agree concrete timelines would be great, no manufacturer really does them, it just gives them a deadline to miss. And then a jaded customer "who made plans for this date". And if they deliver early, sometimes the customer says "I don't have the money right now, its too early". I was supposed to get a Cadillac Lyriq Debut Edition in Spring 2022, they missed, and then GM said all of the Debut Editions were supposed to be built by the end of 2022, they weren't, and I still haven't heard anything from Cadillac, as we enter Spring 2023. Go read about people's experiences with Ford with the Ranger/Lightning/Bronco. Or VW and the ID4. Or Kia/Hyundai and their Evs or dealerships in general.

Distribution should be "fair". Fair to who? Whose definition? First come first serve? Closest to service center? Those willing to pay the post 3/1 price increase? Rivian is a business. They want to survive. Like it or not, distribution needs to be efficient. They need to factor in things like build schedules, costs, post delivery service ability, etc. Do you really think Rivian should operate the same as a restaurant down the street?

You want full transparency? Transparency of what exactly? What does that even mean? Do you want to audit Rivians build procedures and delivery policies? See what colors or builds are being delivered? So customers can manipulate the data they are given in attempt to get earlier deliveries, choosing different colors or options, or changing a delivery address.

You have "need" of a car, go buy one. No one is stopping you, you just seem locked in on Rivian, it is a great product. If other manufacturers are doing better, go buy one of them and circle back when Rivian is building quicker.