Sponsored

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Disclaimer: Your truck may have noise in this area that is from something entirely different. This worked for me, but may not make a difference for you.

Yet again I'm sharing something silly I made, in case someone finds it useful. Over the course of many miles I'm pretty sure there is either a seal issue _or_ just the tip of the top of the tiny triangle window applique causes the whistling noise on my drivers' side. Either way, it is slightly annoying.

I had been using electrical tape for 17,000-ish miles, and I never find the time to actually take it into the service center to correct the root issue. (Also I hear the triangle window replacement doesn't even work some of the time). I decided today that I wanted something less hideous than black tape on my truck.

I measured the little plastic thinger and CAD'd up a couple of shims that push it firmly against the truck. These have successfully eliminated the noise on my truck.

The models are available on printables.com here: https://www.printables.com/model/363550-rivian-drivers-side-wind-noise-maybe-fix

Rivian R1T R1S I designed some 3D printed window shims to fix my Driver's side wind noise IMG_7309

Rivian R1T R1S I designed some 3D printed window shims to fix my Driver's side wind noise IMG_7307

Rivian R1T R1S I designed some 3D printed window shims to fix my Driver's side wind noise IMG_7308
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think the door window stamping is one of the things Rivian really struggled with early on. Rivian replaced my A pillar trim at no request from me with a new design and it seems like the wind noise is worse than it ever was before it.

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the door window stamping is one of the things Rivian really struggled with early on. Rivian replaced my A pillar trim at no request from me with a new design and it seems like the wind noise is worse than it ever was before it.
Yeah, my drivers door is every-so-slightly misaligned, but in a way only an owner would notice. There are various small defects with paint/etc, but I generally don't care, because I love driving the big oaf so much. :)

Also I always hesitate to take something in for service if it is a tiny issue, for fear of them ("them" being Tesla, usually) making it worse.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yep…early vins do seem to have a few stamping issues…Some days the wind noise is bad…some days it’s tolerable. I just worry about the long road trip trying to hear a podcast. Lol. Music drowns its out just fine though.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Interesting I might need to give this a shot. I get a little wind noise but never noticed anything 'loose' and its still quieter than many other cars so it didn't stick out.

When you just used tape did you just stick it over the gap or were you specifically trying to hold that trim piece down firmly?

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Disclaimer: Your truck may have noise in this area that is from something entirely different. This worked for me, but may not make a difference for you.

Yet again I'm sharing something silly I made, in case someone finds it useful. Over the course of many miles I'm pretty sure there is either a seal issue _or_ just the tip of the top of the tiny triangle window applique causes the whistling noise on my drivers' side. Either way, it is slightly annoying.

I had been using electrical tape for 17,000-ish miles, and I never find the time to actually take it into the service center to correct the root issue. (Also I hear the triangle window replacement doesn't even work some of the time). I decided today that I wanted something less hideous than black tape on my truck.

I measured the little plastic thinger and CAD'd up a couple of shims that push it firmly against the truck. These have successfully eliminated the noise on my truck.

The models are available on printables.com here: https://www.printables.com/model/363550-rivian-drivers-side-wind-noise-maybe-fix

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg
Nothing says luxury and upscale like 3D printing your own parts for your new $100k truck..always an adventure.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I think we all have it wrong. What we’re calling “wind noise” is actually the “Window Fully Closed” sound. That furious windstorm effect fits in perfectly with the other “nature” sounds that are part of the R1 UX.

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing says luxury and upscale like 3D printing your own parts for your new $100k truck..always an adventure.
I don't disagree, but I've had to fix more on my $150k Tesla and my previous $100k Tesla than I've had to fix on the truck, so ...

Also, I have approx the 3000th truck they made, so I'm impressed it has four wheels and moves forwards/backwards consistently.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting I might need to give this a shot. I get a little wind noise but never noticed anything 'loose' and its still quieter than many other cars so it didn't stick out.

When you just used tape did you just stick it over the gap or were you specifically trying to hold that trim piece down firmly?
Nothing was loose, per-se. I had taped around the perimeter of the entire triangle because I was sick of trying to figure out the cause. It was *much* more pronounced/noisy when I had a right-to-left crosswind, for whatever reason.

Regardless, I drove excessively fast with the shims in yesterday (for science) and the noise is gone.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Nothing was loose, per-se. I had taped around the perimeter of the entire triangle because I was sick of trying to figure out the cause. It was *much* more pronounced/noisy when I had a right-to-left crosswind, for whatever reason.

Regardless, I drove excessively fast with the shims in yesterday (for science) and the noise is gone.
Yes, any cross-wind, and turbulent air noise is very strong....did this help that at all or just the whistling noise?

Sponsored

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, any cross-wind, and turbulent air noise is very strong....did this help that at all or just the whistling noise?
I haven't had a crosswind to test yet, but it just made the existing noise worse, so I suspect it will no longer be an issue. I've heard folks mention it is a sealing issue, and there is prob some kind of Âżlow pressure zone or vortex? (i'm know zero about aerodynamics) formed on drivers side in a crosswind that makes the seal issue worse. By forcing the applique against the glass, I may just be forcing the seal to be tighter. Not sure, but mostly don't care - just want the noise to not be there so I can listen to my podcasts, like you. :)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don't disagree, but I've had to fix more on my $150k Tesla and my previous $100k Tesla than I've had to fix on the truck, so ...

Also, I have approx the 3000th truck they made, so I'm impressed it has four wheels and moves forwards/backwards consistently.
Unfortunately I have as well. Neither are excusable IMO when my $40 (granted now $60k) Ford Lightning has been rock solid.

It's just sad how the term of "luxury" has morphed from the white glove service to just advanced technology and self service.

I'm printing these as we speak btw.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I may have to test and see if this is where my wind noise comes from. I don't call mine bad enough to really care, but maybe I'm just more tolerant.

The one weird thing I have noticed, for wind noise on both sides (works better on the driver side, but probably because the wind noise is worse there) - if I roll down the windows slightly then roll them back up while moving at speed, the wind noise lessens after they are rolled back up compared to before doing this maneuver. I can't for the life of me figure out why that might be, other than pressure changes is causing something to suck tight where it's loose otherwise.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Hopefully this feedback makes its way to the Rivian engineers to help them better understand the problem and help them redesign parts and/or assembly process to eliminate this from the factory.

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
I had the seals replaced on my truck (I'm mid 2000s VIN), the earlier models were multi-part, the new seals are one piece. Had them do both the triangle window and the main window seal at the same time, totally fixed my issue. If you go for the service, make sure they do *both* the triangle window and the full window as well.
Sponsored