Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I had the seals replaced on my truck (I'm mid 2000s VIN), the earlier models were multi-part, the new seals are one piece. Had them do both the triangle window and the main window seal at the same time, totally fixed my issue. If you go for the service, make sure they do *both* the triangle window and the full window as well.
Same with 3000s VIN here. The trim piece @rhuber modified lifted off at the top for me and my vertical trim wasn't aligned. Once both were replaced, it's been eerily silent. I only get wind noise from crosswind now.

@rhuber any concern about water intrusion to a space it shouldn't be?
Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I haven't had a crosswind to test yet, but it just made the existing noise worse, so I suspect it will no longer be an issue.
Please test in drift mode for self inflicted crosswind. (for science)
Cool fix, thanks! This looks a lot better than the 1 sq CM of foam they shoved in there for me. But it did drop noise by about 10dB.

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Same with 3000s VIN here. The trim piece @rhuber modified lifted off at the top for me and my vertical trim wasn't aligned. Once both were replaced, it's been eerily silent. I only get wind noise from crosswind now.

@rhuber any concern about water intrusion to a space it shouldn't be?
Not really. The seals have been blasted plenty at the car wash, and the shim doesn't cut or bite into the rubber significantly. If anything it probably seals a bit better...

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wouldn't happen to have a decibel meter of results before and after shims?

Would like to compare noise and track down what is expected... I'll need to test on my side as well.

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wouldn't happen to have a decibel meter of results before and after shims?

Would like to compare noise and track down what is expected... I'll need to test on my side as well.
Unfortunately not. All I know is that it doesn't make a constant hiss above 60 now. :)

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Go to minute 16:43 in the video below…Mine isn’t quite as bad but can be with high winds outside. Is this the type of wind noise that these shims helped with?

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey y'all - just a quick update: Finally got around to having service fix this, and the triangle window replacement on both sides absolutely eliminated my noise. Highly recommend getting this warranty fix if you have a noisy early vin vehicle like mine.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
Disclaimer: Your truck may have noise in this area that is from something entirely different. This worked for me, but may not make a difference for you.

Yet again I'm sharing something silly I made, in case someone finds it useful. Over the course of many miles I'm pretty sure there is either a seal issue _or_ just the tip of the top of the tiny triangle window applique causes the whistling noise on my drivers' side. Either way, it is slightly annoying.

I had been using electrical tape for 17,000-ish miles, and I never find the time to actually take it into the service center to correct the root issue. (Also I hear the triangle window replacement doesn't even work some of the time). I decided today that I wanted something less hideous than black tape on my truck.

I measured the little plastic thinger and CAD'd up a couple of shims that push it firmly against the truck. These have successfully eliminated the noise on my truck.

The models are available on printables.com here: https://www.printables.com/model/363550-rivian-drivers-side-wind-noise-maybe-fix

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg
This is so resourceful. You could probably make and sell these to other Rivian drivers.

OP
OP

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey y'all - just a quick update: Finally got around to having service fix this, and the triangle window replacement on both sides absolutely eliminated my noise. Highly recommend getting this warranty fix if you have a noisy early vin vehicle like mine.
Doubling down on this! I’m 500 miles into a road trip and the truck is so quiet now. Get the new windows. Do it. Trust me.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Any chance you are selling these? We don’t have a 3D printer but could use these for our front drivers window.

Disclaimer: Your truck may have noise in this area that is from something entirely different. This worked for me, but may not make a difference for you.

Yet again I'm sharing something silly I made, in case someone finds it useful. Over the course of many miles I'm pretty sure there is either a seal issue _or_ just the tip of the top of the tiny triangle window applique causes the whistling noise on my drivers' side. Either way, it is slightly annoying.

I had been using electrical tape for 17,000-ish miles, and I never find the time to actually take it into the service center to correct the root issue. (Also I hear the triangle window replacement doesn't even work some of the time). I decided today that I wanted something less hideous than black tape on my truck.

I measured the little plastic thinger and CAD'd up a couple of shims that push it firmly against the truck. These have successfully eliminated the noise on my truck.

The models are available on printables.com here: https://www.printables.com/model/363550-rivian-drivers-side-wind-noise-maybe-fix

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

Sponsored

ajthejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S,‘19 Tundra 1794,‘19 XC90
Clubs

Doubling down on this! I’m 500 miles into a road trip and the truck is so quiet now. Get the new windows. Do it. Trust me.
@rhuber how long did the warranty fix take? Hours? Days? Did they give you a loaner?

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Nice suggestion for temporary workaround. I'm also getting both front window seal+triangle fixed (both sides), picking it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it gets resolved..

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Yup!, just got my window (new seal+triangle pane replaced) fixed, and it was a wonderfully serene experience driving home!
Sponsored