Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Based on how heavy my dometic cfx3 95dz gets when it's fully loaded, I don't think there's such a thing as "easy" when you will have to lift it up that high and that far away from your body. It’s A good excuse to buy a new engine hoist
Thank you I will tell my wife!
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
That's correct, it's the inrush current of the motor and the inverter's inability to provide the inrush current. Depending on the motor, it can be 1.5x to 2x the operating current. It can damage the motor long term, and/or shorten the inverter life. One solution (at least on line power, I have not tried this on an inverter but it should work) is a Soft Start. This type of device used to be common in industrial motor applications, although the wide spread use of VFDs (Variable Frequency Drives) eliminates the need for a Soft Start.

Part of the issue here is that the Rivian is a lifestyle truck, not a work truck. I suspect Rivian intends the inverter to be used for resistive loads, not inductive loads. Inverters must be designed to handle the extra stress of an inductive (i.e. motor) load, espectially when operating at it's peak rating. It's not an F150 with 7500w of "headroom".

1643484281944.png
Lifestyle or work, if you’re going to support “1500W” and whatever that mens for steady state or startup current, you could add a little margin and support ANY device that works on a 15A household circuit at a nominal 100V with some margin. I don’t mind “slow startup” on a saw but I don’t want it to trip a breaker if I’m cutting a wet 4 by 4. I’ve used my circular saw with my 400W Tacoma outlet so 1500W seems great, but 1800W or a true 15A plus 10% would be a lot better and surely can’t cost much more.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@Iwantatesla The app allows you to turn on climate control setting prior to entering the vehicle right? I did a quick search and didn't find anything but assumed this was a basic feature.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Yes, the rivian website, @wicked2112, the ID at rivian who designed the crossbars telling me Yakima makes them… Why would they license a design from Yakima to have it made by another manufacturer?

A fridge contoured to the frunk wouldn’t necessarily need all new power and cooling systems. same as water system for kitchen. just make an enclosure to suit.

A white label/co-branded item does not carry the same risks for the actual manufacturer of the product as one they would sell under their own name at retail.
Yakima is creating the bars for Rivian specifically.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Worth noting that the F150 has been the single best selling vehicle in America for decades, whereas the Rivian is a completely unproven upstart, as far as Dometic is concerned. Very different addressable market.

I seriously doubt we'll see any major manufacturer making completely new SKUs for the Rivian any time soon. The R1T's Dometic cooktop, Snow Peak set, and the Yakima accessories are all curated but pre-existing products. A few years down the line we may see something frunk-specific, but I'd be very surprised if it happens in the near future.

I'm holding out hope that the ARB Elements fridge will fit (it's within 0.1") or that manufacturers will react to more general pressure for lower-clearance fridge/freezers.
The ARB Classic Series II 63QT should be an option at 17" high.
Sponsored