Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
@Iwantatesla Thanks for all the info you are putting out here.

I was wondering if you could start a new thread just to track the Software Updates Rivian is pushing, to track the version log.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
A photo of the back with the seats pulled forward? I am looking to see both the storage and the speaker. I kinda wish there was an option to have a flat floor without the storage. :(

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
A photo of the back with the seats pulled forward? I am looking to see both the storage and the speaker. I kinda wish there was an option to have a flat floor without the storage. :(
Completely agree. That lack of usefulness is my biggest concern about the R1T. I run a teen driver car control program and the flat rear seat area in my old Ridgeline is very valuable. Given the R1T bed is several inches shorter than the Ridgeline I am not sure the gear tunnel can fully make up for the lack of storage relative to the old Honda. I am mainly talking about larger things like coolers, cones, signs, tables, ezups, etc.

The less-than-useful rear seat areas are also my complaints with the mid-size truck offerings. Seems like only Honda makes a proper folding seat in that segment.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
I know they are stream lining the options to get to production as quick as possible. I see the rear seat with and without storage being an option with the R2T :)

though they are gonna need to find a place for the subwoofer (maybe slightly smaller version under passenger seat?)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I can see dometic doing a private label/“collaboration” like Yakima has done with the crossbar/tent etc.

Dometic already makes things like a fridge that replaces the centre console in a ford truck, so a fridge thst is shaped for the R1T front trunk isn’t a stretch.
Worth noting that the F150 has been the single best selling vehicle in America for decades, whereas the Rivian is a completely unproven upstart, as far as Dometic is concerned. Very different addressable market.

I seriously doubt we'll see any major manufacturer making completely new SKUs for the Rivian any time soon. The R1T's Dometic cooktop, Snow Peak set, and the Yakima accessories are all curated but pre-existing products. A few years down the line we may see something frunk-specific, but I'd be very surprised if it happens in the near future.

I'm holding out hope that the ARB Elements fridge will fit (it's within 0.1") or that manufacturers will react to more general pressure for lower-clearance fridge/freezers.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Worth noting that the F150 has been the single best selling vehicle in America for decades, whereas the Rivian is a completely unproven upstart, as far as Dometic is concerned. Very different addressable market.

I seriously doubt we'll see any major manufacturer making completely new SKUs for the Rivian any time soon. The R1T's Dometic cooktop, Snow Peak set, and the Yakima accessories are all curated but pre-existing products. A few years down the line we may see something frunk-specific, but I'd be very surprised if it happens in the near future.

I'm holding out hope that the ARB Elements fridge will fit (it's within 0.1") or that manufacturers will react to more general pressure for lower-clearance fridge/freezers.
why wouldn’t a manufacturer like dometic do a white label deal with an OEM like rivian? They already have an arrangement with the kitchen. They’re likely supplying the water system in addition to the stove.
Yakima did it with the crossbars, there are custom injection moulded parts, custom extrusions etc.

It’s not expensive to make molds for rotomolding something like a cooler casing, shape shouldn’t be the problem.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
why wouldn’t a manufacturer like dometic do a white label deal with an OEM like rivian? They already have an arrangement with the kitchen. They’re likely supplying the water system in addition to the stove.
Yakima did it with the crossbars, there are custom injection moulded parts, custom extrusions etc.

It’s not expensive to make molds for rotomolding something like a cooler casing, shape shouldn’t be the problem.
Is there any evidence Yakima is making the crossbars versus just licensing the t-slot design?

And the short answer is: Every SKU has fixed cost and overhead (both design, tooling, inventory, customer service, marketing, etc.). It doesn't make sense to introduce a fully custom SKU unless you are going to get enough sales to get a good margin. The kitchen part they're using is just a retired RV cooktop; if they're supplying the water system, I'd be extremely surprised if it's any more custom than off-the-shelf hoses/tanks/pumps that Rivian assembles.

An integrated frunk fridge would presumably be a fully custom design with a designed-to-spec enclosure that will be useless for any other vehicle, a new layout for the compressor and power system, etc. For what are likely to be extremely low volumes (single digit thousands in the next couple years, assuming 10% of owners get one, which would be super optimistic). That's a lot of effort to go to for a vanishingly small profit. It's telling that they do this for exactly zero other vehicles today, except the single #1 selling model.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is there any evidence Yakima is making the crossbars versus just licensing the t-slot design?

And the short answer is: Every SKU has fixed cost and overhead (both design, tooling, inventory, customer service, marketing, etc.). It doesn't make sense to introduce a fully custom SKU unless you are going to get enough sales to get a good margin. The kitchen part they're using is just a retired RV cooktop; if they're supplying the water system, I'd be extremely surprised if it's any more custom than off-the-shelf hoses/tanks/pumps that Rivian assembles.

An integrated frunk fridge would presumably be a fully custom design with a designed-to-spec enclosure that will be useless for any other vehicle, a new layout for the compressor and power system, etc. For what are likely to be extremely low volumes (single digit thousands in the next couple years, assuming 10% of owners get one, which would be super optimistic). That's a lot of effort to go to for a vanishingly small profit. It's telling that they do this for exactly zero other vehicles today, except the single #1 selling model.
Yes, the rivian website, @wicked2112, the ID at rivian who designed the crossbars telling me Yakima makes them… Why would they license a design from Yakima to have it made by another manufacturer?

A fridge contoured to the frunk wouldn’t necessarily need all new power and cooling systems. same as water system for kitchen. just make an enclosure to suit.

A white label/co-branded item does not carry the same risks for the actual manufacturer of the product as one they would sell under their own name at retail.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
A fridge contoured to the frunk wouldn’t necessarily need all new power and cooling systems. same as water system for kitchen. just make an enclosure to suit.
I used to work for one of the 2 biggest cooler manufacturers in the US and covered brand finance. "New enclosure" means very, very expensive new tooling and decent lead times. On the margins both of those companies work on already, you weren't getting the required payback/ROI on new tooling for a consumer retailer cooler unless you were guaranteed Costco or Walmart volumes in the first couple of years.

A Rivian frunk cooler would obviously be a very expensive, niche SKU at the level of demand I'd expect for it. Utilizing an existing cooling system would help, but the tooling for the enclosure isn't a drop in the bucket.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I used to work for one of the 2 biggest cooler manufacturers in the US and covered brand finance. "New enclosure" means very, very expensive new tooling and decent lead times. On the margins both of those companies work on already, you weren't getting the required payback/ROI on new tooling for a consumer retailer cooler unless you were guaranteed Costco or Walmart volumes in the first couple of years.

A Rivian frunk cooler would obviously be a very expensive, niche SKU at the level of demand I'd expect for it. Utilizing an existing cooling system would help, but the tooling for the enclosure isn't a drop in the bucket.
Considering Rivian charges $5k for the camp kitchen, isn’t it possible to overcome the issue by charging a premium?

Sponsored

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Considering Rivian charges $5k for the camp kitchen, isn’t it possible to overcome the issue by charging a premium?
That would probably cover it.... hehe.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Interesting! I’ve only got experience with rotomolding on large water tanks, and an at ag equipment company getting custom rotomolded fuel/oil tanks made for our products(lower volume than rivian for sure)which I guesstimated something like a cooler body would be closest to. and smaller injection molded parts. the latter had much much costlier tooling.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Which would be cool if they could take up all the space, but generally you need some external space (plus ventilation) in order to keep the compressor from working too hard. Is there any ventilation in the frunk?
The idea would likely be to replace the entire insert with a new one, not just to place a specially shaped fridge inside the existing frunk.

Dometic sells these 'drop in' coolers for center consoles: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdo...er-console-refrigerators/dometic-ccf-t-256718
But they aren't just drop in. They require you to cut out holes in the side of the center console for the fan.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The idea would likely be to replace the entire insert with a new one, not just to place a specially shaped fridge inside the existing frunk.

Dometic sells these 'drop in' coolers for center consoles: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdo...er-console-refrigerators/dometic-ccf-t-256718
But they aren't just drop in. They require you to cut out holes in the side of the center console for the fan.
I’d hope for something that could be put in an out. Easier packing.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’d hope for something that could be put in an out. Easier packing.
Based on how heavy my dometic cfx3 95dz gets when it's fully loaded, I don't think there's such a thing as "easy" when you will have to lift it up that high and that far away from your body.
Sponsored