First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I would Take Tommy's review with a grain of salt. If the power tools are rated under 1500W they should work if not under excessive load. The retarded start to full rpm of the saw may have been a function of the motor inrush current and the way the onboard inverter sends power. One of our resident engineers may be able to weigh in.
That's correct, it's the inrush current of the motor and the inverter's inability to provide the inrush current. Depending on the motor, it can be 1.5x to 2x the operating current. It can damage the motor long term, and/or shorten the inverter life. One solution (at least on line power, I have not tried this on an inverter but it should work) is a Soft Start. This type of device used to be common in industrial motor applications, although the wide spread use of VFDs (Variable Frequency Drives) eliminates the need for a Soft Start.

Part of the issue here is that the Rivian is a lifestyle truck, not a work truck. I suspect Rivian intends the inverter to be used for resistive loads, not inductive loads. Inverters must be designed to handle the extra stress of an inductive (i.e. motor) load, espectially when operating at it's peak rating. It's not an F150 with 7500w of "headroom".

Rivian R1T R1S I’m backkkkk. What do you want to see / know? 1643484281944
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I'm with you on this one. The combination of the shallow bed and the proportions of the frunk make it really hard to add a fridge to the R1T. Considering how much effort went into the Camp Kitchen and positioning the truck as an adventure vehicle, this is a really unfortunately design oversight.
I think they said at one point they were trying to work with a fridge manufacturer for a fridge for the frunk. It is possible no one wants to make one yet because they don't think it is worth their time, building a fridge for a specific vehicle that has barely made it to market. Not to mention, if a company makes it, it would more than likely just take sales from its own product line. It wouldn't necessarily increase overall sales, just add another product to their line. And a lot of people might throw their current fridge in the bed of the truck, even though the tonneau may not close.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
That's correct, it's the inrush current of the motor and the inverter's inability to provide the inrush current. Depending on the motor, it can be 1.5x to 2x the operating current. It can damage the motor long term, and/or shorten the inverter life. One solution (at least on line power, I have not tried this on an inverter but it should work) is a Soft Start. This type of device used to be common in industrial motor applications, although the wide spread use of VFDs (Variable Frequency Drives) eliminates the need for a Soft Start.

Part of the issue here is that the Rivian is a lifestyle truck, not a work truck. I suspect Rivian intends the inverter to be used for resistive loads, not inductive loads. Inverters must be designed to handle the extra stress of an inductive (i.e. motor) load, espectially when operating at it's peak rating. It's not an F150 with 7500w of "headroom".

1643484281944.png
Thanks a bunch. This helps clarify things a bit. Although I understand the design intent of R1, and I am really glad it is much more useful than Tundra's 400W power, I still wish it was closer to F150 and Silverado. Even people who are serious off roaders may find themselves in a power outage and it would be nice to be able to power more devices at once.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They may also be leveraging torque vectoring to aid stability when towing.
Seems like a miss if they don't enable a toggle to enable 2wd for towing to extend the range. Especially if you're towing something that's not particularly heavy.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Seems like a miss if they don't enable a toggle to enable 2wd for towing to extend the range. Especially if you're towing something that's not particularly heavy.
I'm not a towing expert but seems FWD would be less desirable when towing since the tongue weight would work to unload the front tires. I'm sure it can be managed if you're careful of the trailer's weight distribution but Rivian may have decided the limited gains would not be worth the associated risks.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not a towing expert but seems FWD would be less desirable when towing since the tongue weight would work to unload the front tires. I'm sure it can be managed if you're careful of the trailer's weight distribution but Rivian may have decided the limited gains would not be worth the associated risks.
It'd be less desirable from the pulling aspect, but it's also not unheard of (plenty of FWD vehicles tow). Just seems like having the option would be a net benefit. Even if it required a disclaimer of a reduced max weight or something.

They're obviously weirdly early in adding features too. As shown by the lack of individual tire pressures.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It'd be less desirable from the pulling aspect, but it's also not unheard of (plenty of FWD vehicles tow). Just seems like having the option would be a net benefit. Even if it required a disclaimer of a reduced max weight or something.

They're obviously weirdly early in adding features too. As shown by the lack of individual tire pressures.
It does seem they're committed to the concept of delivering a "minimum viable product".

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think they said at one point they were trying to work with a fridge manufacturer for a fridge for the frunk. It is possible no one wants to make one yet because they don't think it is worth their time, building a fridge for a specific vehicle that has barely made it to market. Not to mention, if a company makes it, it would more than likely just take sales from its own product line. It wouldn't necessarily increase overall sales, just add another product to their line. And a lot of people might throw their current fridge in the bed of the truck, even though the tonneau may not close.
I can see dometic doing a private label/“collaboration” like Yakima has done with the crossbar/tent etc.

Dometic already makes things like a fridge that replaces the centre console in a ford truck, so a fridge thst is shaped for the R1T front trunk isn’t a stretch.

shkelton

First Name
Jacek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Civic, 2009 Avanger
Hello

I am wondering if in the latest OTA update if there is:
  • better trip A/B display and stats
  • overall performance stats of EV as time progresses
  • have they added a garage door opener
  • Of course my fav topic - the ability to play music files from USB (long shot)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I can see dometic doing a private label/“collaboration” like Yakima has done with the crossbar/tent etc.

Dometic already makes things like a fridge that replaces the centre console in a ford truck, so a fridge thst is shaped for the R1T front trunk isn’t a stretch.
It was reported to be dometic. When I reached out to dometic about it, I never heard back. Dometic is making the induction stovetop but I think it's just a binned part, not custom.

I'd like to see a fridge that has dual zone and will work in 4 seasons. Most of the portable cooler fridges might be designed to work outside, but generally not when it gets cold out.

Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I charge to 90% and drive all purpose. Range would probably be higher if i drove on conserve
I thought the presets were 70%, 85% and 100%. Is there a way to manually select something other than one of these values? If so, what menu / toggle is used to select it?

Thanks for all the info provided to this point. Appreciate your time!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It was reported to be dometic. When I reached out to dometic about it, I never heard back. Dometic is making the induction stovetop but I think it's just a binned part, not custom.

I'd like to see a fridge that has dual zone and will work in 4 seasons. Most of the portable cooler fridges might be designed to work outside, but generally not when it gets cold out.
reported to be dometic = Brian Gase said so in one video from 2019.
I wouldn’t expect a company to confirm a private-label product that’s under development, or doesn’t exist.

a fridge designed to work in all four seasons would need heating abilities…I wonder if there’s any portable fridges set up that way now, apart from the old koolatrons

OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
I thought the presets were 70%, 85% and 100%. Is there a way to manually select something other than one of these values? If so, what menu / toggle is used to select it?

Thanks for all the info provided to this point. Appreciate your time!
I misspoke it was 85% I charge to.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional

Which would be cool if they could take up all the space, but generally you need some external space (plus ventilation) in order to keep the compressor from working too hard. Is there any ventilation in the frunk?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Which would be cool if they could take up all the space, but generally you need some external space (plus ventilation) in order to keep the compressor from working too hard. Is there any ventilation in the frunk?
I’m not a fridge designer, but if I were, I’d likwly consider the constraints at hand.

I doubt there’s ventilation. No different than a car’s trunk, err boot. There’s a drain though, which could be used for condensate.
Sponsored