kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Also judging by supply chain issues me buying a highly Demanded BEV and selling it for the exact same price is a realistic scenario in 6 to 10 months maybe a few hundred less to account for miles.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Also judging by supply chain issues me buying a highly Demanded BEV and selling it for the exact same price is a realistic scenario in 6 to 10 months maybe a few hundred less to account for miles.
I was considering the same for the Lyriq. My Sep 21 R1T order, will come maybe late 22, but probably more likely 2023. And if I do like the Lyriq, I may just keep it since it $20k cheaper than the Rivians I want. In an ideal world, what I really would like, is a 2 door Wrangler/Bronco competitor, but I don't know if the physical size vs range (battery size) constraints would work.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I went by my local Hyundai dealership yesterday, who I knew was closed since it was Sunday, they had a black SE AWD on the lot, didn't look bad, but had a $2000 ADM. So I went and saw Spider-Man today courtesy the free tickets, and cancelled my reservation for the Ioniq 5. When I called customer service they even asked unprompted if it was due to ADM, I told them it didn't help. I had already made up my mind in skipping the Ioniq 5 to wait for the R1T (Q4 2022), or even the Lyriq this spring, just wanted to see the Ioniq 5 in person before cancelling, and I thought doing a test drive would probably be a waste of my time, I really didn't feel like dealing with that dealership.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
With the max pack delayed until 2023+, and my worries about slow charging in the 400V R1 models, I put a deposit down for an Ioniq 5! Looks like a great car, with modern charging and battery tech!! Dealer emailed me the next day saying they'll have a demo vehicle that I can drive within a few weeks! Sounds like Canadian dealers aren't trying to rip off customers and cars are being sold at MSRP (I would walk away if they tried this, plenty of dealers within a few hours drive).

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My sisters Car Arrived and will be picking it up on Saturday. I did not go with one as I don't want to deal with claiming 2 vehicles within a year as the R1S will be delivered in Mayish or Junish so I had my neighbor take the other exact spec vehicle (2x Ioniq 5 AWD SEL Matt Gray).

No the reservation system didnt work, this is thru my previous contact at the Hyundai Dealership that has always hooked me up as much as he can. The cost is MSRP + $500 since we are trading in a vehicle and no other "hidden" fees.

Rivian R1T R1S Hyundai Ioniq 5 1641529190106

Rivian R1T R1S Hyundai Ioniq 5 1641529199428

Rivian R1T R1S Hyundai Ioniq 5 1641529216016

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Man, that sucks that he went through that! If dealers felt like they could compete at an honest level they would let manufacturers sell the cars directly. It’s so ridiculous what we have to deal with here, I despise dealers

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I stopped in the Colorado Springs, CO Hyundai dealership this morning (Phil Long). They are expecting their first shipment of the Ioniq 5 any day. But when I asked about "market adjustments" the sales rep said it will be between $10k and $12k because "every dealer is doing it". I'm glad we have the dealership model to protect the consumer...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I stopped in the Colorado Springs, CO Hyundai dealership this morning (Phil Long). They are expecting their first shipment of the Ioniq 5 any day. But when I asked about "market adjustments" the sales rep said it will be between $10k and $12k because "every dealer is doing it". I'm glad we have the dealership model to protect the consumer...
Hey, what a coincidence! That’s a dealer I canceled my order from! I placed my order with them back in June and waited seven months just to be told they’re going to try and gouge me! They also told me when I initially placed my order they didn’t anticipate any dealer mark ups or ADM. What a great business model! ?

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Shady Dealership:
My business model is under threat.

....Wait, I know, I will price gouge our high end customers during a global pandemic despite making record profits.

That's sure to cause public opinion to go my way!

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
As someone who's made a living over the last 15 years working in dealerships, I understand why everyone hates the dealership model. These types of stories are infuriating. I can't understand why a dealer would charge ADM if they're looking to maximize profits. My philosophy has always been relationship selling and not transactional selling; then again, I'm a long-term, big-picture, whole-dealership guy.

Prime example is Dave from Out of Spec's experience. That dealership has now been blasted on YouTube for trying to make a quick buck. How many future Hyundai sales is that going to cost them? And all the related parts/service work from those potential lost sales? I'll bet more than the $10k mark-up they were trying to get on one car.

Positive customer experience is linear, but negative experience is exponential. I'd like to think these dealers would be weeded out by the free market, but I think they'll continue unabated until they're forced to change by manufacturer or government edict. In either case, that's wading into some awfully murky water. It's going to be up to the customer to do what Dave did - communicate exactly why that dealer isn't getting his business and walk away.

I don't know that converting dealerships into corporate controlled service centers is the answer, but the current system doesn't really work. I suspect if things continue this way for much longer, dealers will have to evolve or die.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
As someone who's made a living over the last 15 years working in dealerships, I understand why everyone hates the dealership model. These types of stories are infuriating. I can't understand why a dealer would charge ADM if they're looking to maximize profits. My philosophy has always been relationship selling and not transactional selling; then again, I'm a long-term, big-picture, whole-dealership guy.

Prime example is Dave from Out of Spec's experience. That dealership has now been blasted on YouTube for trying to make a quick buck. How many future Hyundai sales is that going to cost them? And all the related parts/service work from those potential lost sales? I'll bet more than the $10k mark-up they were trying to get on one car.

Positive customer experience is linear, but negative experience is exponential. I'd like to think these dealers would be weeded out by the free market, but I think they'll continue unabated until they're forced to change by manufacturer or government edict. In either case, that's wading into some awfully murky water. It's going to be up to the customer to do what Dave did - communicate exactly why that dealer isn't getting his business and walk away.

I don't know that converting dealerships into corporate controlled service centers is the answer, but the current system doesn't really work. I suspect if things continue this way for much longer, dealers will have to evolve or die.
He was one of them! Get him!! /s. ?

No I get your point, it seems so shortsighted because the supply crunch isn’t always going to be here, probably not the best practice to piss off every potential customer by gouging them. Some dealers are still charging MSRP, so I think they know it’s better to cultivate that relationship for long-term.

I just hope to someday see more consumer choices, and with companies like Rivian and Lucid coming on, I think this is going to cause a domino effect someday for the dealership model.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Hey, what a coincidence! That’s a dealer I canceled my order from! I placed my order with them back in June and waited seven months just to be told they’re going to try and gouge me! They also told me when I initially placed my order they didn’t anticipate any dealer mark ups or ADM. What a great business model! ?
At least you and I have multiple dealers between Denver and Pueblo to choose from. I feel bad for folks that may have only one Hyundai dealer in a 200 mile radius.
Sponsored