Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

what a shit show.

signed,
Not an Ioniq 5 reservation holder.

Whats funny is not going thru any reservation route, and just using my old dealership (not local but 1 hour away) they are able to get me in a ioniq5 with my lease trade in for $500 above MSRP. I get that is still demand and a few hundred over MSRP is a pill I can swallow so I may just swing that until the R1S arrives if I can do it before 12/31.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
what a shit show.

signed,
Not an Ioniq 5 reservation holder.
You were smart to wait it out! I still like the Ioniq 5 but Iā€™m not playing these games. I didnā€™t play this game when I got my PS5 and Xbox Series X, so Iā€™m not going to let these scalpers win either lol

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You were smart to wait it out! I still like the Ioniq 5 but Iā€™m not playing these games. I didnā€™t play this game when I got my PS5 and Xbox Series X, so Iā€™m not going to let these scalpers win either lol
I was curious if dealers are getting demo vehicles, so called a couple. The first dealer I called only does MSRP. The second Hyundai dealer I called (Car Pros) has a 5k markup. The Ford dealer I have my F150 reservation with also keeps it at MSRP. Point being - it shouldn't be *that* hard to find a dealer that has a longer view of how they interact with their customers.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Itā€™s as if someone at Hyundaiā€™s U.S. HQ heard that other manufacturers were accepting money for reservation/deposit so they decided that Hyundai should do the same thing. They setup a means for accepting the money and even had a concierge to establish initial contact. Then they thought, ā€œOkay, weā€™re all set!ā€

No, youā€˜re not.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I was curious if dealers are getting demo vehicles, so called a couple. The first dealer I called only does MSRP. The second Hyundai dealer I called (Car Pros) has a 5k markup. The Ford dealer I have my F150 reservation with also keeps it at MSRP. Point being - it shouldn't be *that* hard to find a dealer that has a longer view of how they interact with their customers.
Thatā€™s true, Iā€™m sure I could find a dealer that would sell at MSRP. Problem is I did a reservation out of state because Hyundai decided for some reason to do a limited release starting off, so I was kind of limited to Colorado because itā€™s closer to KC.

Iā€™m not too broken up about it because I was able to get the First Edition Kia EV6 reserved at a local dealer that promises not to up-charge (weā€™ll see), as a back up, but honestly it seems just as good or better in a lot of the reviews Iā€™ve read.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thatā€™s true, Iā€™m sure I could find a dealer that would sell at MSRP. Problem is I did a reservation out of state because Hyundai decided for some reason to do a limited release starting off, so I was kind of limited to Colorado because itā€™s closer to KC.

Iā€™m not too broken up about it because I was able to get the First Edition Kia EV6 reserved at a local dealer that promises not to up-charge (weā€™ll see), as a back up, but honestly it seems just as good or better in a lot of the reviews Iā€™ve read.
Yeah, I'm personally more interested in the EV6 as well.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Whats funny is not going thru any reservation route, and just using my old dealership (not local but 1 hour away) they are able to get me in a ioniq5 with my lease trade in for $500 above MSRP. I get that is still demand and a few hundred over MSRP is a pill I can swallow so I may just swing that until the R1S arrives if I can do it before 12/31.
Donā€™t do it man! I wouldnā€™t pay a dealer $1 more over sticker, itā€™s just not worth it. Itā€™s a pride thing with me lol ?

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Wow you guys in the U.S have bad, in Canada a $500 deposit gets your name on the list and Hyundai has put us in a sequence for a build slot. They also tell you where you are in the line and the approximate date your car will be built.

Rivian R1T R1S Hyundai Ioniq 5 Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 1.51.11 PM

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Wow you guys in the U.S have bad, in Canada a $500 deposit gets your name on the list and Hyundai has put us in a sequence for a build slot. They also tell you where you are in the line and the approximate date your car will be built.

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 1.51.11 PM.png
Hey thatā€™s pretty great that you have that information! I think itā€™s because of the dealers here. They must have weaker dealer/franchise laws in Canada that actually allow the manufacturer to do more, itā€™s like this with everyone except Tesla, and now Rivian and Lucid

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah, I'm personally more interested in the EV6 as well.
Itā€™s an attractive choice, I also really like the Genesis GV60, but I have no idea when thatā€™s coming

Sponsored

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Hey thatā€™s pretty great that you have that information! I think itā€™s because of the dealers here. They must have weaker dealer/franchise laws in Canada that actually allow the manufacturer to do more, itā€™s like this with everyone except Tesla, and now Rivian and Lucid
As far as I can tell there are no dealer/franchise laws in Canada, any car company can sell direct to consumer. Also, dealers don't usually markup cars up here either (unless its an exclusive car to get on the waitlist **cough Porsche GT3 cough**). They just add a bunch of crap like doc fees, nitrogen inflated tires etc... to make up for it.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
As far as I can tell there are no dealer/franchise laws in Canada, any car company can sell direct to consumer. Also, dealers don't usually markup cars up here either (unless its an exclusive car to get on the waitlist **cough Porsche GT3 cough**). They just add a bunch of crap like doc fees, nitrogen inflated tires etc... to make up for it.
Yeah it should be that way everywhere, the lobbying efforts and protections laws here have made the car buying process miserable forever. Thatā€™s cool you donā€™t have to deal with too much shenanigans though

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Donā€™t do it man! I wouldnā€™t pay a dealer $1 more over sticker, itā€™s just not worth it. Itā€™s a pride thing with me lol ?

Bahahaha a few hundred here and there I understand supply and demand but gouging is a dick move lol.

If I can swing it before the end of the year, it's simply a tax credit for me, which kind of nulls the payment because I definitely take advantage of the credit, it's either that or paying Uncle Sam so I might as well get a car out of it even if it's for 5/6months assuming Rivian is on time. Just a good contingency

CharlieSA

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Rogue, 2018 Acadia
Occupation
Number geek
Iā€™m not sure about that. In the early 2000s when the exchange rate between US and CDN was close to 1:1, cars in Canada would still sell at the old price. I.e. when a car in the US was USD$30k, it might have still been CDN$42k in Canada. Some Canadian folks started buying cars in the US after they realized that even after getting screwed on the exchange rate by a middle man and getting the car through custom and up to Canadian spec it could be letā€™s say CDN$35k, so still savings of $7k. The response from manufacturers: did they lower price? NO! They listened to Canadian dealers and blocked US dealers from selling to Canadians. I have a very clear memory of a Subaru dealer getting a third of their business from Canada and that things were so good that he decided to hire a French speaking salesman to help with all the demand from Quebec

so no, dealers in Canada still have lots of sway.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I think the Ioniq 5 is fairly priced at MSRP, but I wouldn't pay a markup for one. I have a reservation, but what does it really matter in a Hyundai world. Especially if I can't choose exactly what I want. I don't mind waiting for what I want, but if I pass on a trim/color because I want something else, there could be 3 people ahead of me that did the same thing. No idea if my potential dealer does ADM or not, doesn't really matter, I'd rather have Lyriq at MSRP, which I supposedly have, although, at least for now, GM has no tax credits. Of course, no idea how long a R1T for Sep 21 preorder will take.

There are some things I like about the Ioniq 5 styling, and some things I really don't. I put a reservation in for Ioniq 5 in July 2021, Lyriq mid-Sep 2021, and Rivian Late Sep 2021. Pretty much eliminated the Ioniq 5, the timeline may determine the other 2. I don't need anything right away and can wait, but the longer a R1T takes, the less faith I may have in its final price, unless Rivian locks prices at some point for reservation holders, which may be a big ask for a new company.
Sponsored