How Would Rivian Earn Back Your Trust?

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
They've already shown what kind of company they truly are so anything now is too late.

But as for what they should have done.. honored the price for their early pre-orders, 2018/2019 at the very least.
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
ts hard to take back what they did. "Did and recover" and "should have done" are very different things. At this point we don't even know if they feel like they made a mistake. We all feel wronged but they could have been expecting this blowback.
100% this.

They surely expected a blowback, but still made the decision to f*ck us over. They have their justifications, and have clearly bought into them. Even if there is a remote chance that they are considering rolling the increases back, they will still piss off the people who cancelled right away and/or investors who believe that the increase was the right move. That is excuse enough for them to not walk the decision back (partially or otherwise).

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
They won’t try, it occurred to me this am this is by design. In a battery constrained world, this is how they meet their contract obligations to Amazon.
I think this is highly unlikely. You dont design and produce the most transformative, accolade-gathering pickup of this century and just scrap it to pump out some Bezos boxes.

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 A6 Allroad, ‘20 SQ7, ‘19 M5 Comp, ‘11 GT3
Rivian won't be winning me back. Even if they backtrack and honor the original pre-order prices, which they certainly won't, I still wouldn't go back. It all comes down to trust in the brand and how they treat their early adopters. Rivian is dead to me when it comes to that. lol

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Hey guys, it's capitalism and they're not in the business for the milk of human kindness. This news sxxks but let's get real this decision is done and dusted and they're not going to reverse it just because there is a lot of whining about it.

Sponsored

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Horrible PR for a new company. I agree we can all understand a little increase, due to shortages etc. But $ 15,000 is a big slap in the face for loyal customers that have been waiting for years and months.

Jmiller929

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES Mercedes SUV
Good part is that you may be able to buy their stock in the $20 range real soon.

urundai

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model X
Trust is not earned overnight or eroded in one decision. Price increase is only one part of this. transparency, failure to meet delivery windows, not many deliveries outside employees, quite a few open concerns (charge curve, highway range etc) even after extensive testing are few other factors.

Overall, it's clear that this is yet another company that prioritizes profit over everything else. Not surprised and we were foolish to think otherwise. So, shame on us but don't think what they lost can be won back and frankly, I would be shocked if Rivian even attempts to win that trust.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I'm a business owner myself, and I know you have to disappoint (SOME) customers all the time. But their actions toward current reservation holders is betrayal.

To earn back my trust, they will need to do some (maybe all) of these things:
  1. Explain who made this decision and why.
  2. Offer an apology for how their thinking and approaches were wrong (especially when other executives were telling the story that they were focusing on 10% market share, not profits by 2030). In 2020, there were over 2 million EVs sold. So, a 10% market share is 200,000 vehicles. With growth, that'll have to be closer to 400-500k vehicles annually. They don't have the reservations, orders, nor capacity to achieve that goal. And now they betray their early customers and brand ambassadors.
  3. Reverse course on the price increase, or have a much more realistic price increase that is more believable to be attributed to "inflation"; especially for LE reservation holders. And/or include the Max Pack battery for free. The other adventure gear is replaceable via third parties and overpriced from Rivian.

What about you? How could they earn back your trust?
Life time free charging for our vehicles at Rivian chargers... Like Tesla.

Do that... and all is forgiven.

Rivian R1T R1S How Would Rivian Earn Back Your Trust? i-forgive-you-forgiven

lambo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Kia Niro EV
Occupation
Software
I think this is highly unlikely. You dont design and produce the most transformative, accolade-gathering pickup of this century and just scrap it to pump out some Bezos boxes
No doubt Amazon has a contract with Rivian for their vehicles with negotiated delivery and price schedules.

Rivian can and have changed retail customers' price and delivery schedules. I doubt very much that they have that flexibility with Amazon.

We can all wish that Amazon would take the price hit but that's not what happened.

Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
No doubt Amazon has a contract with Rivian for their vehicles with negotiated delivery and price schedules.

Rivian can and have changed retail customers' price and delivery schedules. I doubt very much that they have that flexibility with Amazon.

We can all wish that Amazon would take the price hit but that's not what happened.
I heard Amazon vans got a 15k price reduction... ?... ?

GIJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Tesla 3
If they offered all pre order holders membership for life that would be a start.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The only thing they SHOULD do (but won't) is to completely change the decision to raise prices 20% on everyone but the handful of people in the final stages of purchase. Announce a date that separates old pricing and new pricing and move forward. Even if they did that I feel like they can't be trusted at this point. Yesterday wasn't an accident - it was exactly what they knew it would be. There will be more moments like that.

The more time I have to think about it since yesterday I feel like I'm leaning more towards canceling. The way they handled this does not sit well with me and even if I went through with my purchase I would be waiting for them to do some other terrible thing.

ajclemente

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mountain Bike
Occupation
Landscaper
If they offered all pre order holders membership for life that would be a start.
Yes or at least 3-5 years free membership for early reservation holders.

dixosw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Even if they reverse course and offer the old pricing, I won't go back. Not only have they lost my trust, but I'm concerned about their long-term viability as a company. Apparently, their only choice was to alienate all their reservation holders in order to make a profit sooner, or sell tens of thousands of vehicles at a big loss. Either option is terrible for business and tells me all I need to know about buying an $80k/$100k vehicle from this company. Buyer beware. FYI: I canceled last night.
Sponsored