First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RT 1
Occupation
Event producer
Mine sounds just like bad upper strut mounts like others have said. Or a sloppy bushing in upper control arms. It's a thumping/knocking. Sounds like a vehicle with 200k on it.
Well said.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
“How noisy is my front end?” - Not as noisy as my rear end! Got beans?!🤣

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
“How noisy is my front end?” - Not as noisy as my rear end! Got beans?!🤣

Sorry, couldn’t resist!
Oh, aren’t you a gas! 🤣

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Unfortunately, I think creaks are normal. Rivian is already going to upgrade to a new tenneco suspension on future trucks apparently. I think they are aware of our concerns otherwise why would they be doing this?
Do you know when this new suspension is planned to be introduced

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Do you know when this new suspension is planned to be introduced
Not sure…just know it’s an upgrade of the current tenneco suspension.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
My front and rear suspension creaks and has the occasionally thunks. There are two issues - one is the suspension and the other is the sub frames. There are issues with both the front and rear sub frames and the way they were welded and some need to be replaced. My front sub frame is likely going to be replaced but first they wanted to try to lubricate the suspension and see if the noises went away - of course they didn't - but I haven't had time to take it back to the service center so I still have the creaking noises.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Mine sounds amazingly similar to Drone 166 from Oblivion.

Rivian R1T R1S How noisy is your front end? 1679278268928

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I'm a professional tech for German vehicles for a loooong time. I have a launch edition Vin 2,xxx. Mine sounds like a truck in my opinion. I had a creaking noise that developed around 1,000miles, sounded like metal on metal.
Denver service center fixed it for me first try. They said it was an air line for the suspension rubbing on the body.
My advice is to make videos of your noises and point them out on a test drive when dropping off. Luckily since I do this for a living I figured out how to make the noise happen which helps a ton, if you show them the noise consistently and then show them that another one doesn't make noise under the same conditions they can't hit you with "that's within spec"

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have posted a video of mine (above). It's hard to explain but it can be heard on the video. I took it to the service center when it had ~300 miles. They gave me a loaner, another R1T with ~400 miles and it sounded exactly the same. The tech told me that it is normal. I find it hard to believe that Rivian engineers signed off on that. Something isn't right. I wonder if R1S front end sounds the same.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have posted a video of mine (above). It's hard to explain but it can be heard on the video. I took it to the service center when it had ~300 miles. They gave me a loaner, another R1T with ~400 miles and it sounded exactly the same. The tech told me that it is normal. I find it hard to believe that Rivian engineers signed off on that. Something isn't right. I wonder if R1S front end sounds the same.
Mine sounds like I bought a 1970's pick up with 300k on it.

rodbrock

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Web/IT
Yep. Shockingly noisy. I live on bumpy dirt roads so I get to hear ALL OF THE NOISES. There are at least 4 different kinds. The worst is the one where it sounds like a hard plastic ball bouncing around in there. I took it to service and they gave me the same line of bull. What's frustrating is that they can't fully test these vehicles to reproduce the noises on the smooth city streets around the service centers. How can you not have a way to test an off-road vehicle? I'll bet service techs aren't even aware of how bad it is because they have no way of testing it. It's kind of a gross oversight, IMO.

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

Wanted to jump in here and say I have very similar front end noises that many have described in this thread. My Dad lives on a dirt road and after visiting him recently the truck sounds horrible over bumpy roads; suspension sound loose, and makes pretty jarring clunks (think knocking on a block of wood). I've also had a subtle rattle at the front drivers side of the truck that is really starting to grate on me, that I've had since pickup. Steering wheel shakes at high speeds (even after multiple balances and rotations).

Probably going to try and put in a ticket with the Denver service center along with some other stuff (speaker grille on the dash has started rattling, suspension creaks at low speeds :rolleyes:). We will see what they say.

Mostly venting, but for 80k + it doesn't feel good. Love everything else about the truck but this aspect is not luxurious by any measure. Wondering how we get this in front of Rivian.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
Wanted to jump in here and say I have very similar front end noises that many have described in this thread. My Dad lives on a dirt road and after visiting him recently the truck sounds horrible over bumpy roads; suspension sound loose, and makes pretty jarring clunks (think knocking on a block of wood). I've also had a subtle rattle at the front drivers side of the truck that is really starting to grate on me, that I've had since pickup. Steering wheel shakes at high speeds (even after multiple balances and rotations).

Probably going to try and put in a ticket with the Denver service center along with some other stuff (speaker grille on the dash has started rattling, suspension creaks at low speeds :rolleyes:). We will see what they say.

Mostly venting, but for 80k + it doesn't feel good. Love everything else about the truck but this aspect is not luxurious by any measure. Wondering how we get this in front of Rivian.
I'll be doing about an hour of driving on fire roads/gravel/washboard/light trail pretty much weekly - this does not inspire much confidence in an offroad/adventure vehicle. I feel like it'll just be a matter of when, not if...

Even my 17 yr old Wrangler doesn't sound like that.

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

I'll be doing about an hour of driving on fire roads/gravel/washboard/light trail pretty much weekly - this does not inspire much confidence in an offroad/adventure vehicle. I feel like it'll just be a matter of when, not if...
I don't think it affects every truck. Total conjecture on my part, but my truck might be early enough of a VIN to still have the welded sub frames. Makes me wonder if that's part of the problem. Curious to see how you feel about the suspension noises after you pick-up your truck :)
Sponsored