Sponsored

How noisy is your front end?

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I filed a ticket for light metal rattling when I went over bumps. They fixed it.

Said it was some wire harness around the 12v line that was hitting up against something. They secured it better, so no more noise.
Sponsored

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
Do you mind listening to the linked video of my truck and letting me know if this is the sound that you were hearing? I had mine in service and they told me it was normal. While my truck was in service (with ~400 miles) they gave me a loaner with about the same miles. It made the same exact noise so when I got mine back, I didn't press them. I just don't think this is normal and that Rivian engineers signed off on that. I have had 3 different cars with air suspension and none of them made any noise.

I hear 3 different sounds. It is noticeable at low speeds and over uneven surfaces. I hear squeak/squeal, thud/thump, and chatter (that's the best I can describe it). If you listen to the video with the headphones on, you'll hear it better. I would love to know that someone had this issue and had it resolved. I LOVE the truck, but I find myself not driving it much because the noise bothers me. I only have 1500 miles and have had it for 5 months. I drive my Jeep 95% of the time and its suspension is totally quiet.

Yep. That sounds like it. I would hear it most over small bumps at lower speeds, and also on undulating bumps (like the tracks where vehicles repeatedly stop at intersections). I'll do more testing tomorrow to confirm its actually gone.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Do you mind listening to the linked video of my truck and letting me know if this is the sound that you were hearing? I had mine in service and they told me it was normal. While my truck was in service (with ~400 miles) they gave me a loaner with about the same miles. It made the same exact noise so when I got mine back, I didn't press them. I just don't think this is normal and that Rivian engineers signed off on that. I have had 3 different cars with air suspension and none of them made any noise.

I hear 3 different sounds. It is noticeable at low speeds and over uneven surfaces. I hear squeak/squeal, thud/thump, and chatter (that's the best I can describe it). If you listen to the video with the headphones on, you'll hear it better. I would love to know that someone had this issue and had it resolved. I LOVE the truck, but I find myself not driving it much because the noise bothers me. I only have 1500 miles and have had it for 5 months. I drive my Jeep 95% of the time and its suspension is totally quiet.

Exact same sound coming from my 6 mo old R1S. It wasn't there when I got it. In my case this only happens when on standard ride height, not on conserve or sports mode where default height is lowest. Talked to the support. They put the concern in my next service appointment which is coming next week. Let's see how it goes.

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yep. That sounds like it. I would hear it most over small bumps at lower speeds, and also on undulating bumps (like the tracks where vehicles repeatedly stop at intersections). I'll do more testing tomorrow to confirm its actually gone.
Did you get a chance to do more testing?

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Exact same sound coming from my 6 mo old R1S. It wasn't there when I got it. In my case this only happens when on standard ride height, not on conserve or sports mode where default height is lowest. Talked to the support. They put the concern in my next service appointment which is coming next week. Let's see how it goes.
Your truck sounds like mine; so you're not alone lol. Curious to ryanpei's response too!
I've only driven two other R1T's. Both had less than 1k miles and both made the same exact sounds as mine. I think there would be more complaints if this is normal. I noticed the sounds on theday I got it. I took several of my "car guy" fiends for rides and they all noticed it immediatelly.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I had mentioned I thought my clunky rattles were going away. In the last 300 miles or so the front suspension noise has completely disappeared. No explanation. Feels like a completely different vehicle and very solid.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had mentioned I thought my clunky rattles were going away. In the last 300 miles or so the front suspension noise has completely disappeared. No explanation. Feels like a completely different vehicle and very solid.
Personal OTA to tighten all components. 🤣

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m jealous!!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Is warmer outside temperature the only difference? I’ve noticed fewer interior rattles since “Winter”. (Texas doesn’t really have one. 😂)

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Is warmer outside temperature the only difference? I’ve noticed fewer interior rattles since “Winter”. (Texas doesn’t really have one. 😂)
Yes! That’s the only thing. Been having record high temps in low 90s

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes! That’s the only thing. Been having record high temps in low 90s
This vehicle is such an anomaly. Even with all its frustrations there is nothing that can replace it…except maybe a new one. 😂. Guess I’ll live with the quirks.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
This vehicle is such an anomaly. Even with all its frustrations there is nothing that can replace it…except maybe a new one. 😂. Guess I’ll live with the quirks.
Did you see that video where the guy put a small crowbar on the half shaft boot clamp closest to drive unit? Seems like that’s where the noise comes from with some play

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Did you see that video where the guy put a small crowbar on the half shaft boot clamp closest to drive unit? Seems like that’s where the noise comes from with some play
I have…funny thing is…Before they replaced my drivers side half shaft, I would move it…after they replaced and tightened bolts…it no longer has play using my arm strength anyway (which isn’t much). So it must be a motor thing. 🤷‍♂️. I have the “fix” scheduled for next week in Austin so…not hopeful as I think they already did this to mine but…we shall see.

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
Did you get a chance to do more testing?
Lots more. Took a road trip up to Maine for the weekend.
So I would say that I have around a 50% reduction in noise post SC visit.
It is perhaps not quite as good as it was when I first got it back, but still reduced compared to a month ago.
This seems to be particularly true over undulating bumps at low speed where I previously had a lot of noise. These are bad during my short daily commute, so I had a lot of "experience" with them, and that noise it now completely gone.
The noise that is left is acceptable and does not necessarily seem to be from the suspension, if that makes sense. More just noise I would hear in any vehicle over bumps.
I do have one....rattle? quiet clunk? left, that I need to investigate. Going to have a look at underbody body and wheel well panels to make sure everyting is tight.

Also, the acceleration noise (click, pop) when starting out is completely gone. I'm not sure I realized how much I had ignored it until it was silent.
Sponsored