First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I had a friend ride in my truck who owns a Model Y. His comment was his Model Y was louder and had more clunks.

I'm worried some of the newer companies (Tesla, Rivian, etc) don't have the decades of experience designing suspension systems.
Neither my Y not my R1T has any suspension noise, and I do a lot of miles on unpaved roads. So, I would stick with the service complaints. It is not normal.
Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Let's us know your outcome. Mine were also done by service center and it did get rid of the creaking noises, but not the thumping, clunking type noise on bad road surfaces.
I’ll let you know. I submitted a ticket for that also, but was told they couldn’t find anything abnormal. Unfortunately it was raining when I dropped off the truck so couldn’t do a ride along. Ive mentioned it before but it’s shocking to me when people say it’s the quietest vehicle or smoothest riding vehicle they’ve ever had. Crazy how different two trucks can be (or perceived to be).

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

my test patch of road. So I’m guessing this is actually normal. Shrug.
I want to add mine as well here, The noise bothers me some times, it is louder from the front driver side like others noticed, which I noticed it the day I left the lot .. and that is what I told Rivian CS .. good to find out about this thread.. since I have my SC app next month to check it out

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I want to add mine as well here, The noise bothers me really, also front end driver side more .. good to find out about this thread.. since i have my SC app next month
Glad you found it too! Hopefully with enough pressure, Rivian will find a solution.

Deleted member 7086

My noises started around 2,000 miles. Now have 5,000 miles on the R1T. They are distinctly two different noises. The first is gear lash emanating from where the half shafts connect to the splines. Rivian’s position is absent evidence of physical damage this is normal. I disagree. Non-the-less in November the front spline/half shafts were repacked, bolts replaced and torqued down. By the time I drove home the noise was back. Two weeks ago another service appointment. This time front and rear spline/half shafts were repacked, bolts replaced and torqued down. I have only driven a few hundred miles since the repair but so far the noise seems less. But my observation is complicated by the fact we have had 3 1/2 feet of snow, lows in single digits and highs in the low thirty’s. I suspect the lube is merely thickening in the low temperatures and the noise will return in the Spring. Hopefully I am wrong. The second noise sounds like the air shocks are rattling at low speed on small bumps. SC thought this might be a dampener problem which Rivian was supposed to be working on. I saw a forum thread where one person said replacing the dampener got rid of the noise. Who knows? My concern is long term reliability of the vehicle particularly once it is off warranty.

Sponsored

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I just dropped my truck off at the Rivian Service Center. They gave me a loaner, another R1T (540 miles on it, mine has 560 miles). The loaner makes the same excat noices as mine. You can hear it in the video I posted here. I'm pretty sure they will tell me that it's normal. I'm no automotive engineer but there is NO way anyone would design any type of supension that would make that noice. They would have heard it during testing. It's either defective parts or inproper install. Rivian probably doesn't have a fix at the moment but are continuing to roll out trucks and plan on addressing it later.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just dropped my truck off at the Rivian Service Center. They gave me a loaner, another R1T (540 miles on it, mine has 560 miles). The loaner makes the same excat noices as mine. You can hear it in the video I posted here. I'm pretty sure they will tell me that it's normal. I'm no automotive engineer but there is NO way anyone would design any type of supension that would make that noice. They would have heard it during testing. It's either defective parts or inproper install. Rivian probably doesn't have a fix at the moment but are continuing to roll out trucks and plan on addressing it later.
Welp, if this is the way its gonna be....might be time to get my order in on a dual motor max pack with the upgraded suspension. Hopefully they'll have engineered all the issue away by then.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If we’re going to deal with a crappy ride, noisy suspension, and suspect build quality, May as well pocket the equity and get a MY-not that I’ve thought about this much.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I listened to yours and I think yours and mine are similar. It does it on rapid impacts and pavement breaks. Slow large impacts don't do it. Just rapid. And then I get a few on both compression and rebound.

I agree. I don't see how Rivian can honestly hear these and think it is normal. If I had this during any stage of design, implementation, etc... I would say..."back to the drawing board".

If all the trucks that have been tested by media haven't done this, then Rivian must have checked them over just to make sure, or got lucky. Or they told them it was a preproduction unit and they will be addressing it, getting writers to ignore it.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I listened to yours and I think yours and mine are similar. It does it on rapid impacts and pavement breaks. Slow large impacts don't do it. Just rapid. And then I get a few on both compression and rebound.

I agree. I don't see how Rivian can honestly hear these and think it is normal. If I had this during any stage of design, implementation, etc... I would say..."back to the drawing board".

If all the trucks that have been tested by media haven't done this, then Rivian must have checked them over just to make sure, or got lucky. Or they told them it was a preproduction unit and they will be addressing it, getting writers to ignore it.
Do any of you get a "womp" sound when the front end comes down over a speed bump or at the top of a garage ramp? I have that as well as the other noises.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

This is exactly the situations where mine is noisy- "It does it on rapid impacts and pavement breaks. Slow large impacts don't do it. Just rapid. And then I get a few on both compression and rebound."
I'll add that on roads near me it's the smallish potholes and misaligned concrete road panels and speeds under 25-30mph

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Do any of you get a "womp" sound when the front end comes down over a speed bump or at the top of a garage ramp? I have that as well as the other noises.
No womp that I've been aware of

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
No womp. Just this annoying sound like a a top of a shock isn't tight and knocking/thumping.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This is exactly the situations where mine is noisy- "It does it on rapid impacts and pavement breaks. Slow large impacts don't do it. Just rapid. And then I get a few on both compression and rebound."
I'll add that on roads near me it's the smallish potholes and misaligned concrete road panels and speeds under 25-30mph
Sounds like we share an exact same issue.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No womp. Just this annoying sound like a a top of a shock isn't tight and knocking/thumping.
Wasn't there a service bulletin very early on about a plate that was missing up there...some sort of spacer?
Sponsored