Sponsored

How much do new windshields cost these days? UGH

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Noticed this on my drive this morning. There was a rock chip below the field of view that I’ve had for a few months and it was repaired, but it’s now spread virtually across the entire windshield which sucks. The only saving grace is, it’s entirely out of the field of view so it doesn’t impact my driving at all.

Rivian R1T R1S How much do new windshields cost these days?  UGH IMG_4946

Rivian R1T R1S How much do new windshields cost these days?  UGH IMG_4945
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Does it go all the way to the edge of the windshield? I've just left cracks like that since they don't tend to propagate further.

OP
OP
DTown3011

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Does it go all the way to the edge of the windshield? I've just left cracks like that since they don't tend to propagate further.
Yes, it goes about a foot and a half both left and right in either direction horizontally almost in a T shape. It doesn’t go fully to the edge. I’m likely going to leave this one alone for a while. It’s just stupid that it happened.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Clubs

"Good" news is the price was much lower for us than previous estimates.

We just had the window replaced on our R1S. It ended up being about $1700 for the replacement. This has to be done at a service center, and requires quite a bit of work.

If they do it right, it takes at least overnight, since they have to let the windshield goo cure before attaching the electronics.

Sponsored

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
"Good" news is the price was much lower for us than previous estimates.

We just had the window replaced on our R1S. It ended up being about $1700 for the replacement. This has to be done at a service center, and requires quite a bit of work.

If they do it right, it takes at least overnight, since they have to let the windshield goo cure before attaching the electronics.
Per Rivian last week when I called in, it doesn't have to be at a service center, certified rivian body shops can do them now.

OP
OP
DTown3011

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How much is your deductible, it'll cost that much
I typically don’t like to use my insurance for windshield if I don’t have to but it’s $1700 it might be worth it

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Clubs

I typically don’t like to use my insurance for windshield if I don’t have to but it’s $1700 it might be worth it
Does Colorado not have no-fault windshield insurance? Here in KY (and in Michigan, where we lived previously), windshields have to be 100% covered by insurance, and it's technically not supposed to affect your premium.

They are such a baseline safety concern that it makes sense to encourage people to just get them fixed ASAP. That being said, since windshield replacements are so much more expensive on modern vehicles (with all the tech attached and alignment), I wouldn't be surprised if this changes at some point.

I also wouldn't be against car companies finding a way to get the tech detached from the windshield so it doesn't require 2+ days and alignment of electronics to get them set up.

Per Rivian last week when I called in, it doesn't have to be at a service center, certified rivian body shops can do them now.
Interesting. I'd be curious how those shops are handling alignment of the camera, but I guess they have access to the tools. I doubt we have a certified body shop very close, though. I'm in kind of a weird area for Rivians.

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Does Colorado not have no-fault windshield insurance? Here in KY (and in Michigan, where we lived previously), windshields have to be 100% covered by insurance, and it's technically not supposed to affect your premium.

They are such a baseline safety concern that it makes sense to encourage people to just get them fixed ASAP. That being said, since windshield replacements are so much more expensive on modern vehicles (with all the tech attached and alignment), I wouldn't be surprised if this changes at some point.

I also wouldn't be against car companies finding a way to get the tech detached from the windshield so it doesn't require 2+ days and alignment of electronics to get them set up.

Interesting. I'd be curious how those shops are handling alignment of the camera, but I guess they have access to the tools. I doubt we have a certified body shop very close, though. I'm in kind of a weird area for Rivians.
The singular certified Rivian body shop in Virginia is just as far away as the service center for me

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The singular certified Rivian body shop in Virginia is just as far away as the service center for me
But if needed the body shop could probably fit you in much sooner then a Rivian SC which has a 3-month waiting list.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Damn, that sucks. I would just leave that one until there are more options. I would feel differently if it was up in your field of vision.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
A few years ago, State Farm offered what was essentially "free" windshield replacement as long as you had glass coverage and that was only a few bucks per year. Now, because of the high cost of windshield glass and all the technology behind it, they stopped offering that coverage. So now if you need glass, your deductible will be the price you pay and they'll cover the rest. I have a $1,000 deductible and my last windshield was $1,400.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Just had mine done - $1812 - I have glass coverage on Rivian insurance, so fully covered.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Always use your insurance, even if it saves you just a few bucks. Your insurance premium cannot be increased because you used it for a replacement windshield.

OP
OP
DTown3011

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Always use your insurance, even if it saves you just a few bucks. Your insurance premium cannot be increased because you used it for a replacement windshield.
Thanks. My deductible is $1k so it will still be cheaper than the replacement.
Sponsored