First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's also worth remembering that probably 95 percent of humans don't actively seek anything that sounds better than spotify, and many/most people won't even care about audio quality over bluetooth.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
It's also worth remembering that probably 95 percent of humans don't actively seek anything that sounds better than spotify, and many/most people won't even care about audio quality over bluetooth.
I agree but in that case don't advertise and trade on the presence of the Meridian Audio system.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

There have been others before, such as SONY's LDAC. See https://www.sony.net/Products/LDAC/
All good.
Big fan of Sony's LDAC and Hi-RES audio support, especially when paired with a supporting device. No LDAC vs LDAC is like listening to music under water with a can and string vs sitting next to the guitar.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yup, LDAC or aptx is great.

They are patent encoumbered but give me the ability to pay $20 to buy the license.

Sponsored

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9, Honda Accord Hybrid
As promised, here is an update after visiting the Rivian Hub in Venice, CA. We spent the better part of the morning there. I asked about the BT codec, and alas, no one knew anything about the audio system.

They did however allow me to pair the car via BT. I could not get it to work, but they stepped in and one of them parked their iPhone with Tidal HD running on their device. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The sound quality was shockingly good, with nice staging, and a very nice mid-range. It is definitely one of the finest BT implementations I have seen anywhere. Moreover, the album art also shows up on the screen, albeit in a limited manner. Whilst a native app will obviously be much better, the BT interface was not bad at all. I would imagine that one can do the same thing with Apple Music and other sources. They did hint that other apps are in the works, although they did not give any details. I came back quite pleased. No issues on the audio front, even without the USB connection.

I wish I could rave similarly about the maps interface and the integration with the phone. I can only describe it as dreadful. Alas, when I compared it with CarPlay, the Rivian person there was quite defensive. I hope that the SAs in Rivian HQ are more openminded and realize that they must act fast to revamp their software.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I wish I could rave similarly about the maps interface and the integration with the phone. I can only describe it as dreadful. Alas, when I compared it with CarPlay, the Rivian person there was quite defensive. I hope that the SAs in Rivian HQ are more openminded and realize that they must act fast to revamp their software.
I would expect the Rivian employees to be defensive about their software. I would also be surprised if they aren’t tired of explaining that AndroidAuto and CarPlay aren’t supported, with every customer trying to explain to them that they should be, as if that employee is the one making that choice.

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9, Honda Accord Hybrid
I would expect the Rivian employees to be defensive about their software. I would also be surprised if they aren’t tired of explaining that AndroidAuto and CarPlay aren’t supported, with every customer trying to explain to them that they should be, as if that employee is the one making that choice.
True. Let's hope the software teams get their act together. It is a fantastic vehicle in every other respect.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yup... this comes up soo much I'm almost tired of explaining it. Arguable, AA/Carplay are somewhat better, but there are a million reasons for them to not support it. Many decisions are made for business reasons, not technical/product ones.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Yup... this comes up soo much I'm almost tired of explaining it. Arguable, AA/Carplay are somewhat better, but there are a million reasons for them to not support it. Many decisions are made for business reasons, not technical/product ones.
I'm not even a Rivian employee and I'm really really tired of hearing nearly everybody complain about the lack of AA/CarPlay. I had a Tesla for 4 years, and yes their software is more mature than Rivian's, but holy crap did I NOT miss AA/CarPlay. Those systems are not the end-all-be-all of automotive UIs. People need to get over it. If they want those systems so bad, get another vehicle.

Sponsored

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
I am pleasantly pleased with the R1T sound system rating it the best I have had in 40 years. I accidentally found the availability of Amazon music (via Alexa interface) and it has been the best quality option for me. I assume that it is hi res because I will experience some “dead spots” while Spotify premium will continue playing. I also accidentally found iHeart and Pandora but I am most pleased with Amazon music. BTW, Rivian just fixed the bug where I had to “restart” Amazon music every time the vehicle went to sleep.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am pleasantly pleased with the R1T sound system rating it the best I have had in 40 years. I accidentally found the availability of Amazon music (via Alexa interface) and it has been the best quality option for me. I assume that it is hi res because I will experience some “dead spots” while Spotify premium will continue playing. I also accidentally found iHeart and Pandora but I am most pleased with Amazon music. BTW, Rivian just fixed the bug where I had to “restart” Amazon music every time the vehicle went to sleep.
The difference in sound quality when playing a song on Spotify and then playing the same song on Amazon Music is staggering. Patiently waiting for the full Amazon Music app for Rivian.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
So we’re just supposed to shut up about the truck’s shortcomings? I never understand this position. If a product is missing a critical feature you should let it be known and often. This is how products improve.

I'm not even a Rivian employee and I'm really really tired of hearing nearly everybody complain about the lack of AA/CarPlay. I had a Tesla for 4 years, and yes their software is more mature than Rivian's, but holy crap did I NOT miss AA/CarPlay. Those systems are not the end-all-be-all of automotive UIs. People need to get over it. If they want those systems so bad, get another vehicle.
If you think the UI is what people love most about CarPlay you misunderstand why it’s important.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
So we’re just supposed to shut up about the truck’s shortcomings? I never understand this position. If a product is missing a critical feature you should let it be known and often. This is how products improve.

If you think the UI is what people love most about CarPlay you misunderstand why it’s important.
No, I just don't think it's important at all. I've had a car with AA, I kinda hated it.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
No, I just don't think it's important at all. I've had a car with AA, I kinda hated it.
As is your right, but plenty of us do like it and want it. You don't have to use it. Saying "get another vehicle" implies there's an abundance of comparable vehicles available, which of course we all know is not true. It is much more likely we can convince Rivian to add support for these features to their otherwise great platform than to convince another manufacturer to build the same truck with these features added. They have already admitted the hardware is there to support it, and the foundational OS supports it as well (unlike Tesla's system).

The more it's requested, the more likely it is to be considered. Rivian's official position is these integrations aren't on their roadmap. I think they chose that phrase deliberately. They have not ruled out the possibility entirely, which is why I and others will continue to ask for it. If you don't want to hear about it anymore you should join us in requesting it.
Sponsored