atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Unless they had a tow strap mishap, I'm not sure why the rear window would be broken on a vehicle in that location. Stolen?

Where is Gary when you need him?
At the CBD store, where else?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unless they had a tow strap mishap, I'm not sure why the rear window would be broken on a vehicle in that location. Stolen?

Where is Gary when you need him?
He explained it on RS, they tried using a construction vehicle to pull it out with a chain and the chain snapped breaking the window.

Good lessen on not using chains for this activity.

Edit: Should have added, a snapped chain will not only cause vehicle damage but has enough force that it can actually hit and kill someone when it snaps.

Last edited:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
what a loser. He didn't even tell us what the vampire battery drain was while it was stuck.

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So, they took an 80k vehicle, and left it out there? :oops:
It’s stuck no one is stealing it I guess. It’s not like some one will steal the engine. This SUV will be there for weeks. And it should teach owner a lesson that if it is capable of off roading doesn't mean you should find a swamp and try to see if it works.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
He explained it on RS, they tried using a construction vehicle to pull it out with a chain and the chain snapped breaking the window.

Good lessen on not using chains for this activity.
Exactly. I hope no one got hurt when it happened.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Yeah, that would suck. I assume they had no choice but it's weird that someone else called to report an abandoned vehicle and not the owner? There's a story here...
Meanwhile, those of us who need this for a family hauler replacement continue to wait for ours…

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Just to reiterate, DO NOT USE A CHAIN/CABLE/(insert whatever other item not rated for recovery) to try to dynamically pull a vehicle out! Also do not use a tow ball as any part of a recovery attempt. Recovery/snatch straps are made of polyester and meant to stretch, chain is not. With some digging and prep work, another similar sized vehicle should have been able to get him out, without damage.

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
Echo the words of caution. There are some really informative recovery education videos on YouTube. Things you may not understand but once pointed out they are shocking. If you don’t understand the physics and forces at play - you need to become aware. It could save a life or just glass, but very worth it. One such example:

Sponsored

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
Echo the words of caution. There are some really informative recovery education videos on YouTube. Things you may not understand but once pointed out they are shocking. If you don’t understand the physics and forces at play - you need to become aware. It could save a life or just glass, but very worth it. One such example:

There’s also Navy training videos of 6” hawser lines snapping. Those are the big ones that tie cruise ships and aircraft carriers to a pier. When those snap it goes through 1” steel plate like a knife through butter

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
WTS: Rivian OEM Off Road Recovery Kit. Asking $20 less than MSRP of a rear windshield.

Free same day local delivery to any quarry within 50 miles of me.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Would be interesting to learn how much damage was done other than the smashed tailgate window.
Probably none if the suspension/steering is all good. I’ve watched a lot of Matt’s Off-Road Recovery. He does these recoveries all the time at Sand Hollow when people drive too close to the water. It doesn’t seem like it flooded.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
Just to reiterate, DO NOT USE A CHAIN/CABLE/(insert whatever other item not rated for recovery) to try to dynamically pull a vehicle out! Also do not use a tow ball as any part of a recovery attempt. Recovery/snatch straps are made of polyester and meant to stretch, chain is not. With some digging and prep work, another similar sized vehicle should have been able to get him out, without damage.
Yeah, he and the guy that tried to pull him out clearly don’t watch Matt’s Off-Road Recovery otherwise he would have had Matt’s Yellow Rope thingy or the equivalent Amazon knock off…
Sponsored