First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
The R1T is my first truck, and to be honest I'm finding the results a bit mixed in terms of versality.

Sure it's nice for things that get dirty like my folding kayak or my inflatable paddle board. It's also nice to have the gear tunnel for stuff you want out of the way.

But, there is so much stuff that doesn't fit in the back not so much because of depth but height. The Rivian has very little height between the bed and the cover.

In fact I think an R1S would be a better fit for me if I could buy it without the 3rd row seats as long as the second row went completely flat.

The other thing I find a bit irksome with the R1T is the lack of any kind of environmental protection. I went off-roading on a dirt road, and when I got home I realized the entire back was dusty under the cover. It's easy to wash out, but it was a lot more dirty than I anticipated.
Thatā€™s any truck with any tonneau in my experience.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Try it in the gear tunnel. I had the same issue with a 60" mirror. It slid into the gear tunnel like a glove. And I don't mean OJ glove.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Rivian has a small bed. Part of what we accept when purchasing it. If you need a work truck or more bed space, then there are better options to suit those needs. Otherwise, we work with what we have, one way or another.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

šŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤ÆšŸ¤Æ

Sponsored

State11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Defender D90
The R1T is my first pickup and although we've certainly had some challenges fitting some things, it's still awesome & the gear tunnel is much bigger than I was expecting. My daughter's comment when we first got it...."I love it cause there are so many places you could hide dead bodies"....she's 11 & obviously destined to be a mafia boss or serial killer. We are also waiting for an S....then, we should be completely covered.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
This is why I switched to R1S preorder after my first Mike drive several months ago. A sub-5ā€™ bed is not good for anything. Heck-you canā€™t fit more than one appliance in there. Forget about helping with a clothes washer/dryer unless you unpackage the whole thing and use every last inch on the tailgate.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Try it in the gear tunnel. I had the same issue with a 60" mirror. It slid into the gear tunnel like a glove. And I don't mean OJ glove.
ā€œIf it doesnā€™t fit, you must break it up a bitā€

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Looks like the R1S will fix my issue.... but damn, I loved to have a pickup
The pickup you want is made by GM then where you can get a mid gate. With a mid gate and a cap youā€™ll be able to get an SUV like space.

The decision on pickup vs SUV comes down to what youā€™re looking to transport. This R1T bed has been fine for me to move a piano, a couch, a tractor none of which would work in the R1S.

But if I had to take my family of 4 and my 2 70lb dogs to the vet? The R1T fails. You really have to evaluate what your most common use case.

A trailer makes a great substitute for a pickup bed, especially for occasional use. But itā€™s a pain in the butt to hook and unhook on a regular basis.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Close the bed harder

Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
This is why I switched to R1S preorder after my first Mike drive several months ago. A sub-5ā€™ bed is not good for anything. Heck-you canā€™t fit more than one appliance in there. Forget about helping with a clothes washer/dryer unless you unpackage the whole thing and use every last inch on the tailgate.
Rivian even found a way to make sure we have a truck but have a great excuse to not help everyone move. Sounds like a win to me.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
But what if you needed to carry your floor mats and 4 people? Your Volvo wouldnā€™t be much help thenā€¦.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

The R1T is my first truck, and to be honest I'm finding the results a bit mixed in terms of versality.

Sure it's nice for things that get dirty like my folding kayak or my inflatable paddle board. It's also nice to have the gear tunnel for stuff you want out of the way.

But, there is so much stuff that doesn't fit in the back not so much because of depth but height. The Rivian has very little height between the bed and the cover.

In fact I think an R1S would be a better fit for me if I could buy it without the 3rd row seats as long as the second row went completely flat.

The other thing I find a bit irksome with the R1T is the lack of any kind of environmental protection. I went off-roading on a dirt road, and when I got home I realized the entire back was dusty under the cover. It's easy to wash out, but it was a lot more dirty than I anticipated.
The dust is why I decided to NOT get the tonneau cover. My last truck with a tonneau was real bad about getting things in the bed dustier than if Iā€™d had no tonneau.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I feel like a lot of people getting their first ever truck in the R1T would probably be better served with an SUV. Frankly, any time I see a RTT mounted over a truck bed, that's what I think.

Rivian R1T R1S Guys, what do you think about this ? 1668792602150
At any rate, I do think the Rivian trucks will do a thriving business for whoever makes the bed extender like this:
Sponsored