Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I am curious how anyone can justify that given all the automotive markets that span then entire NA market space....

I just want to know what I am missing.
SoCal is the vehicle Mecca of the world. Has more exposure and sales than elsewhere mostly due to large population AND lack of viable public transits (thank you big 3 circa 1950s).

Hub is not meant to sell or service vehicles; rather, it's meant to be brand awareness and community involvement. As such, its has a great exposure to people around the world that come visit Laguna Beach.

I realize it's difficult to imagine just how much exposure this area provides, if you haven't spent significant time at the locale. I also get that those in the other parts of the country feel like WTF, another spot in SoCal???

Most people in SoCal prefer to goto outdoor malls rather than closed in malls. Fashion Island and Spectrum are both excellent examples. UTC in La Jolla is another. There are car showrooms there and who knows, maybe Rivian will put in those kind of places in time. SCP is an exception as it is also a destination (has the highest $/ft^2 in sales in the world). I used to work at Saks and Gucci at SCP when I was in college years ago and remember shoppers being bus'ed to SCP from all over SoCal hotels. There are similar level mall in FL (Ft. Lauderdale) so maybe Rivian will setup a hub in South FL, especially since RJ is from there...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Irvine Spectrum would be a great place to have a couple of Rivians. Huge outdoor mall with lots of food and entertainment. Packed on the weekend. Literally down the street from HQ.

They could park a couple in one of the courtyards and would get hundreds of people a day looking at them. They did something similar for a weekend in San Jaun a month or so ago, but you had to know where to go.

Or, how about out a T or an S in some of the larger REI’s? That seems to be their demographic.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Do any of them have a Service Center and other Rivian facility close by?
I know at least Chicago does. But I have not been there. My truck has a few times. Do they show off the brand like they do at the hubs? Good place for prospective customers to go take a look in person? Build the brand up in the Chicago market? Or is Rivian just hoping people happen upon then when driving by on the PCH?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Irvine Spectrum would be a great place to have a couple of Rivians. Huge outdoor mall with lots of food and entertainment. Packed on the weekend. Literally down the street from HQ.

They could park a couple in one of the courtyards and would get hundreds of people a day looking at them. They did something similar for a weekend in San Jaun a month or so ago, but you had to know where to go.

Or, how about out a T or an S in some of the larger REI’s? That seems to be their demographic.
There is a Bass Pro Shop going in across the 5 from Spectrum....

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
I am curious how anyone can justify that given all the automotive markets that span then entire NA market space....that two hubs, and the only two hubs in existence, will be 60 miles apart from each other?

I understand it is a Vaca destination. I have been to the Montage 2 times now and Pelican Hill a separate time. So I get that it will be very visible. But how do you then justify the same thing just a little north in Venice?

There’s a hub being built here in Austin. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s true for other cities as well.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
SoCal is the vehicle Mecca of the world. Has more exposure and sales than elsewhere mostly due to large population AND lack of viable public transits (thank you big 3 circa 1950s).

Hub is not meant to sell or service vehicles; rather, it's meant to be brand awareness and community involvement. As such, its has a great exposure to people around the world that come visit Laguna Beach.

I realize it's difficult to imagine just how much exposure this area provides, if you haven't spent significant time at the locale. I also get that those in the other parts of the country feel like WTF, another spot in SoCal???

Most people in SoCal prefer to goto outdoor malls rather than closed in malls. Fashion Island and Spectrum are both excellent examples. UTC in La Jolla is another. There are car showrooms there and who knows, maybe Rivian will put in those kind of places in time. SCP is an exception as it is also a destination (has the highest $/ft^2 in sales in the world). I used to work at Saks and Gucci at SCP when I was in college years ago and remember shoppers being bus'ed to SCP from all over SoCal hotels. There are similar level mall in FL (Ft. Lauderdale) so maybe Rivian will setup a hub in South FL, especially since RJ is from there...
I get that Laguna is the absolute best location for a hub. (And I have spent about 30 days in that general area...have been to a couple of Cars and Coffee in that area, etc).

But then with that as a given....is Venice then the second absolute best location in the world, with #1 just to the south 60 miles?

Reactions: Guy

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
There’s a hub being built here in Austin. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s true for other cities as well.
Ok...this is good! I was worried the only 2 are 60 miles apart, but if hubs are now going in (and hopefully service center too) nationwide....I am wrong in my statements. Sounds like the needed expansion of these services is getting moving.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I hope you enjoyed whatever you smoked when you wrote this. RJ is a class act and impressively competent across engineering, product development, brand/marketing, finances and capital market issues. I suggest you listen to the how I built this podcast with RJ.
Which podcast?

I'm not talking about marketing content, just the facts pertaining to the performance of Rivian as a vehicle manufacturer. There's no question building a version 1.0 vehicle is complicated, but the issues in question pertain to mass production, quality, support, service, the ownership experience, the potential for Rivian to turn a profit and remain solvent, to retain existing investors and customers like Amazon, to bring in new capital before exhausting their options.

If you think Rivian is impressive, in anything other than the R1 vehicle design, which is a collaboration of numerous people, not just the chief sales officer, ok, well, this is an enthusiast forum and that's to be expected.

If you read beyond enthusiast forums and fan podcasts, if you watch the Munro teardown videos, I don't think all critics can be disregarded as smoking something.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I know at least Chicago does. But I have not been there. My truck has a few times. Do they show off the brand like they do at the hubs? Good place for prospective customers to go take a look in person? Build the brand up in the Chicago market? Or is Rivian just hoping people happen upon then when driving by on the PCH?
It looks like it’s over 125 miles from Chicago to Normal and I don’t think there’s another Rivian facility closer to the Chicago Service Center than that.

The SoCal hubs are both within 20 miles of their closest Service Center and Rivian facility. My thinking is that the proximity made getting the first couple hubs running easier by having support close by.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It looks like it’s over 125 miles from Chicago to Normal and I don’t think there’s another Rivian facility closer to the Chicago Service Center than that.

The SoCal hubs are both within 20 miles of their closest Service Center and Rivian facility. My thinking is that the proximity made getting the first couple hubs running easier by having support close by.
True. Last I checked, and it has been a while, Normal wasn't open to visitors unless it was associated with a delivery. Maybe that has changed and they are functioning as a hub now.

I know I saw plenty of Rivians when I was in SoCal. Even actually purchased mine while physically at the Montage. And get this....the carpet....in the rooms at the Montage....looks very much like the Rivian logo... coincidence???

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

....Even actually purchased mine while physically at the Montage....
I think you just answered your own question of "why Laguna Beach" by your own statement.

If you're willing to go and stay at Montage from WI, AND buy Rivian while there in Laguna Beach, well, there you go :)

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think you just answered your own question of "why Laguna Beach" by your own statement.

If you're willing to go and stay at Montage from WI, AND buy Rivian while there in Laguna Beach, well, there you go :)
It was by chance, but I do get what you are saying. I knew I was getting close (guide contact) and one morning I got the go ahead in app...I saw my first one while on that trip. And second..third.. (went to hub and drove thru corporate lot in Irvine)as well as several on PCH. Got home and think it was that week I got it.

I do fully understand that area being a hot spot for cars. Just think alot of NA needs some of the Rivian expansion too.

But maybe it is happening and I just haven't seen it from what I look at.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I am curious how anyone can justify that given all the automotive markets that span then entire NA market space....that two hubs, and the only two hubs in existence, will be 60 miles apart from each other?

I understand it is a Vaca destination. I have been to the Montage 2 times now and Pelican Hill a separate time. So I get that it will be very visible. But how do you then justify the same thing just a little north in Venice?

My guess is because California is the strongest EV market in the country, as so they will focus their marketing efforts on places where people are already open to owning an EV, they already own or were looking at a Tesla, etc.

I live in Georgia, where recently my daughter's school teacher told her about the dangers of EVs and how they really cause more pollution than her Diesel Excursion.

https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10962#:~:text=This chart shows the vehicle,highest count, followed by Texas.

"This chart shows the vehicle registration counts of all-electric vehicles (EVs) by state as of December 31, 2021. California has the greatest number of EVs, approximately 39% of EVs nationwide. Florida has the second highest count, followed by Texas."
Sponsored