Occupation
Theater arts

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It's about time. It's been sitting there for couple of years doing nothing other than boarded up front. I'd read last year that the project was being held up by various LB groups.

Fashion Island has become a bit of auto mall with Tesla, Lexus, Lincoln, Lucid store fronts so I can see why you say that but the corner of PCH and Laguna Canyon is significantly higher traffic (both foot and vehicle) than any mall, The main beach across the street is a destination location.

I remember the Southcoast Theater used to show Rocky Horror Picture Show at midnight on the weekends...

Who knows, with Polestar already there and now Rivian, others may follow...

Last edited:

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I love they are opening a second hub, but both are in socal now. It would make sense for them to look at more sites around the rest of the country.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
With our mild Mediterranean climate BEV’s are in their happy place. No extreme hot or cold temperatures for the battery cells to deal with.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
This is exciting news for So Cal. I wish they would have just gone into the Malls like Tesla and Polstar.

https://patch.com/california/lagunabeach/rivian-hub-laguna-beach-breaks-ground-south-coast-cinemas
Agreed, this is a terrible location that has extremely limited parking. There is a parking structure but you have to pay, at most. They will get tourists that are walking along PCH in Laguna. Rivian’s really should have put a location in fashion Island like LUCID and Tesla.

Sponsored

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Agreed, this is a terrible location that has extremely limited parking. There is a parking structure but you have to pay, at most. They will get tourists that are walking along PCH in Laguna. Rivian’s really should have put a location in fashion Island like LUCID and Tesla.
Agreed. It’s a “cool” location. High visibility for tourists. But provides next to no benefits to actual Rivian owners and limited to no test drive potential. It’s a constant traffic jam at that corner all summer long and would make test drives a nightmare.

Rumors are RJ bought a family home in Laguna Beach… So may have been something he was pushing for personally.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Agreed. It’s a “cool” location. High visibility for tourists. But provides next to no benefits to actual Rivian owners and limited to no test drive potential. It’s a constant traffic jam at that corner all summer long and would make test drives a nightmare.

Rumors are RJ bought a family home in Laguna Beach… So may have been something he was pushing for personally.
If it is true that he bought a house there, that is a terrible reason to select a hub location. I hope that is not the case.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They are trying to do these hubs in old historical structures to repurpose them. You are not going to find many old buildings with a lot of parking. There is no parking at the Venice hub either the couple of times I’ve been there parked in the street.

This location gets a lot of tourist traffic. Very popular route for cyclist as well, I can see them getting a lot of traffic and exposure at this location.

Seems like the hubs are more about sharing their vision and community engagement. The service centers are the places you would be more likely to arrange a test drive.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Two hubs in the same city and none anywhere else in the country....is problematic.
Not same city, Same state, different counties, they are about 60 miles apart.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Not same city, Same state, different counties, they are about 60 miles apart.
Sure. I was in Laguna for about a week last spring on business and went to Venice Hub. Went by the Laguna location. My point is we need service centers in other parts of the country, not duplicate marketing endeavors 60 miles apart from each other. The Laguna location makes alot more sense than Venice, so maybe they will get rid of Venice.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

They are trying to do these hubs in old historical structures to repurpose them. You are not going to find many old buildings with a lot of parking. There is no parking at the Venice hub either the couple of times I’ve been there parked in the street.

This location gets a lot of tourist traffic. Very popular route for cyclist as well, I can see them getting a lot of traffic and exposure at this location.

Seems like the hubs are more about sharing their vision and community engagement. The service centers are the places you would be more likely to arrange a test drive.
Agreed they are repurposing old building but that doesn’t make the most business sense. It costs more and takes longer. What they need over the next couple of years is more hubs around the country where people can go in and check out the vehicles. People will then assess colors, interior options and wheel choices and be more confident in their selections. They need to replenish their order book as production continues to increase.

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Parking in Laguna isn’t horrible if you know where to go.

I am a fan of the Hub concept, but I would also like them to do smaller vision stores at malls and whatnot.

There is a new Polestar shop at South Coast Plaza and a Vinfast at Spectrum (sorry non locals) and they constantly have people going in and out. I was at Polestar the other day and there’s must have been 30 people in the shop… on a Monday afternoon.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Mall traffic isn’t what it used to be. I don’t think paying a lot for rent space in malls is a good use of money.

That said, I hope Rivian isn’t paying too much for rent at the Laguna space
Sponsored