Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Gonna counter this. A tarp isn't going to do squat against hail, definitely not against hail large enough to do damage on its own, and by putting one over a vehicle you could scratch the paint. While the general sentiment is nice...leave other people's property alone.
Insurance will cover the scratches too.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Gonna counter this. A tarp isn't going to do squat against hail, definitely not against hail large enough to do damage on its own, and by putting one over a vehicle you could scratch the paint. While the general sentiment is nice...leave other people's property alone.
I kinda get what you are saying, but in this case I'm okay with it. I'm not parking a GT40 out in my driveway in the rain or even outside for that matter and as nice as the R1S is, it is still a family car.... ie, kids, dog and sometimes in the clouds wife. I've been here 15 years and have had good neighbors and bad neighbors. One bad one used to revv his pos Harley sportster with straight pipes and deleted mufflers every day while I tried to put my 6 month old daughter to sleep. Glad he is gone... But others like this neighbor, check on our house when we are out of town, or feed our pets when we get stuck at work. Some even leave fruit from their trees on our porch when they are in season. I'll take those neighbors day in day out, even if good intentions sometimes go awry. I've seen some pretty f'd up things neighbors have done to each other over my years at work, so coming home to nice ones gives me a little a hope. Besides, spending two minutes with a DA polisher is way easier and less time consuming than dealing with a bad neighbor.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I agree, this is hardly hail. Sometimes good things can go wrong, but the gesture is great. The car would have been fine.
I agree with the op above.., great neighbors are a hard find.

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I kinda get what you are saying, but in this case I'm okay with it. I'm not parking a GT40 out in my driveway in the rain or even outside for that matter and as nice as the R1S is, it is still a family car.... ie, kids, dog and sometimes in the clouds wife. I've been here 15 years and have had good neighbors and bad neighbors. One bad one used to revv his pos Harley sportster with straight pipes and deleted mufflers every day while I tried to put my 6 month old daughter to sleep. Glad he is gone... But others like this neighbor, check on our house when we are out of town, or feed our pets when we get stuck at work. Some even leave fruit from their trees on our porch when they are in season. I'll take those neighbors day in day out, even if good intentions sometimes go awry. I've seen some pretty f'd up things neighbors have done to each other over my years at work, so coming home to nice ones gives me a little a hope. Besides, spending two minutes with a DA polisher is way easier and less time consuming than dealing with a bad neighbor.
Absolutely agree. I'd rather have caring neighbours like this even if they unintentionally damage my car. It's so rare to this these days. Cheers!

Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
I had a credible report of tennis ball sized hail approaching. My Crew Cab F-250 wouldn't fit in the garage. I pulled it under a large oak tree in the driving rain, placed a few large pieces of cardboard (like from a refrigerator) on top of the truck and on the hood, let that "melt" in the rain a little as I went for a tarp. Pulled the tarp over it all, trapped the tarp between the doors and door frames, and weighted it all down with a few pieces of firewood. From the amount of leaves I had on the ground after it was all over with, I definitely saved myself some damage. Standing seam metal roof on the house did fine, but barely.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

First off awesome neighbors and the Rivian community standing up for each other :like:

Not to minimize any of that but this is what we would call graupel in the PNW, we actually see it a lot. Now the golfball, baseball, softball size hail that can happen in the plain states and midwest is no joke, the tarp definitely wouldn't save your truck, I lived through an event like that in River Falls WI and broken windows all over town (both buildings and cars) and a lot of cars that had dimples like the aforementioned golf balls.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
So today was one of those rare occasions where we got some hail in SoCal. Unfortunately, I was work all day about 50 miles away, when the rain first started coming down. About 30 minutes ago, my wife sends me a text saying that it started to hail. She included a video of the backyard. Me being the car guy, I immediately thought about her R1S in the driveway, so I pulled up the cameras on my cell phone. To my amazement, I see my fellow Rivian owner/ neighbors already outside throwing a tarp over the roof of the R1S. They definitely deserve a beer when I get home and probably a nicer present at Christmas.

hailrivian.jpg
didn’t know what the thread was about - read first post to see it is about hail… and it starts hailing outside! Normally we get small hail here, so hopefully it can withstand the type I usually see!
Sponsored