Getting terrible efficiency numbers

Nolmac

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Am I the only R1T owner in this forum getting terrible efficiency numbers?
I have the 20” AT so it’s expected to be less than the 21 or 22’s but I am avg 1.44 mi/kWh in daily driving. Hardly ever punching it.
also one night in 4 hours lost 10% SOC 🤯
Take a look: you can see from the time stamp what I lost!
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers 5CE2112C-340D-4A68-B95B-6445D3DD94F3
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers 923347EA-930C-456F-B0CB-A1A8BED134CE
Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers F205E98B-8D0B-42BF-9601-4282B9CFB1CA
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Seems quite excessive, but It's difficult to tell what the culprit is without more detailed information.

Are you driving lots of hills etc?
Is your vehicle naked or do you have a bike rack or the like attached?
10% power loss over a short period seems very excessive, are all your outlets off in the vehicle while you're away from it?
Can I suggest a reset to maybe clear any software anomaly that may be the cause.

From what I can gather from the app screen shots, the vehicle is going to sleep, just seems something isn't complying with that low power state.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
My aggregate efficiency numbers suck too. I have no idea how people are getting what they get and I’m on 21s. My last two trip meters say 1.44kWh and 1.63kWh.

100% range says est 301 which itself isn’t terrible, but the aggregate m/kWh suggests I’d never make it.

I think I’m also draining about 5%/day in vampire drain. Yes, I use gear guard at home, and yes Gary wants to interrupt me every time I put the car in drive to show me a video of me walking to my car. (How hard is it to filter events that are < 30 secs and end in the vehicle being unlocked?! Actually sometimes it’s more than 30sec because I have to awkwardly stand at my locked door waiting for PAAK to work. “Don’t make me take my phone out of my pocket and unlock you!” is basically equivalent to “open sesame!”) (rant mode off)

Last edited:

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Definitely not normal. I'm 4200 miles in on my truck with the 20"ATs and averaging around 2.25 mi/kWh and regularly get >2.3 on a longer trip. And the majority of that was All Purpose, not even Conserve. Rare to lose more than 1-2% when sitting for 24 hours and have never seen 10% drops.

I agree with doing at least a soft reset and maybe a hard reset after making sure outlets are off. If it doesn't improve, it's worth a service ticket. Also, check your charging session summaries. I usually only lose around 1% to cabin/battery temp and low voltage applications.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

You’re in PA. Have you also been experiencing 40s to 50s for the weather the past few days?

You’re in for a real treat in the winter… you’ll lose up to 30% of your range in cold climates.

Sponsored

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
I’m in pa and would happily swap
Wheels with you (21’s) if you want better numbers. Throw in some cash too. My wheels have less than 400 miles on them.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

If you are doing short trips, those will have lower efficiency numbers because the battery pack is cold.

if you reset your trip meter and do a longer, say 50 mile drive with no stops, what does it say?

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
72 miles at 29mph? Tons of traffic? Or did you stop for a while but keep the truck on?

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My efficiency has dropped as well. The first few days I had the truck I was getting around 2 mi/kWh but now I’m getting about 1.5. However it has been raining nonstop in the NYC area and temps dropped from the 70-80s to the 50s-60s so I’d expect both the rain and lower temps where I had the heater and heated seats/steering wheel on to be a factor.

Reactions: Rad

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
You’re in PA. Have you also been experiencing 40s to 50s for the weather the past few days?

You’re in for a real treat in the winter… you’ll lose up to 30% of your range in cold climates.
I did a trip last week and the first 50 miles or so were early morning, relatively flat highway, mostly on ACC around 72-74 mph in 43 deg weather and I averaged around 2.00 for that stretch of it, so temps alone aren't enough to explain what the OP posted. He posted a relatively short distance and not sure what wind conditions and elevation changes were, but it would have to be pretty severe to get it that low compared to what I see in my driving.

Sponsored

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
There is massive overhead for every trip start in lower temps to get the battery pack, interior, etc up to temp. Since I dont have a rivian yet I dont know how the trip computer works but if it continues after stopping until it is manually reset and the OP stopped and started again several times over that 72 miles that is the issue. EV's are very inefficient doing small trips in temps below 60 or so. My P100D gets 1000wats/mi (1mi/kw) for the first ten minutes or so of every drive in winter while it heats everything back up. Remember, you're not just warming the cabin air, you're warming the seats, the dash, all the metal, the glass, the carpet, etc. All very costly.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Trip meter includes standby power usage. Most of the time when people are posting their efficiency meters it's after a long trip with little to no standby time/energy. I find doing a full reset gets rid of the excessive phantom drain until the next time it starts happening. Most likely something is stopping your main computer from staying in sleep.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm in hilly south eastern PA with 21s and have a short 5 mile commute to work where my truck sits in a parking garage during work hours without charging. Gary is turned on only when away from home. I drive on highways to pick up kids after work a short 10 miles away. We use the truck as the primary vehicle on weekends for the typical family of 4 needs (events, groceries, etc.). I do not experience anything below 2/mile even if I drive like I stole it - hope it stays that way. Seems like something is not right.

Edit: just snapped some pics for reference. I have 1466 miles on the truck. Haven't reset trip A or B in a while. Plan to leave B as is moving forward

Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers 16649825350086144282150355665134

Rivian R1T R1S Getting terrible efficiency numbers 16649825592334502642811630169585

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My aggregate efficiency numbers suck too. I have no idea how people are getting what they get and I’m on 21s. My last two trip meters say 1.44kWh and 1.63kWh.

100% range says est 301 which itself isn’t terrible, but the aggregate m/kWh suggests I’d never make it.
The Rivian trip computer is broken, afaik. It says I've averaged ~2.4 mi/kWh over the last ~5k miles, yet it says my 100% range is only 280 miles. I've tapped the "reset" button many times and it never changes anything. I've got a service ticket in and it's crickets from Rivian. The most I can get from them is "we're waiting for the diagnostic team to look into it". That was a month ago :-(

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
The trip computer includes vampire drain. I did a coupe of tests by resetting the computer and then accumulating a couple of miles. Overnight the trip computer would add the vampire drain to the energy used and my efficiency would tank. So if you are driving a low number of miles each day, it will make your efficiency look terrible.

I'm not a fan of this approach by Rivian, I would rather the trip computer shows purely the energy used while driving. Otherwise it makes it really difficult to keep track of your actual driving efficiency. There is also no running trip log. Everything gets deleted after each reset.
Sponsored