Gear Tunnel Shuttle thoughts?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
However, I would be super leery of doing anything after market. For one, powering the shuttle (or having power connections on it) will need someone that knows intimately, how to connect the shuttle to the traction battery and if those power outlets need to be added to/controlled by the UI.
The Shuttle/Kitchen plugs into the existing 120V outlet in the tunnel. Not connected to the DC battery and the outlet is already controlled by the UI. No big deal on the connection itself, only area to watch is the cable management on a home built rig.
Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
In the video with the Rivian engineer showing off the kitchen, it does seem you lose at least 4 inches of vertical space with the gear shuttle. Makes the tunnel look much smaller. I think I might remove it from my configuration. Need to sit on this for a few days.

Has anyone seen the shuttle at the test drives? Without the kitchen of course. For a $1500 accessory, I think it would be fair for Rivian to show us what we are getting.

Viperssd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Audi Q7, Tesla Model 3
Does anyone know if you can get the shuttle or kitchen after delivery?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m not planning to get the shuttle. Frankly, I can reach for anything in that tunnel. I also have a 9yo that will be very happy to crawl in there to get it if I can’t.. ;)

If I change my mind, I’d definitely build one. I’ve been a woodworker since 5 and honestly there isn’t anything here than can’t be done in my shop. If I need a metal component, my brother will be happy to make it for me. Even the camp kitchen itself can be built. The stove top is just a Dometic product that you can buy for ~$500. The sink and other components are easily sourced from Amazon. The only thing that looks sorta custom is that water tank. I suspect they had that made by Rotopax.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Does anyone know if you can get the shuttle or kitchen after delivery?
Yes. You get a 5 yr warranty when purchased with the vehicle. Only a 2 yr warranty when purchased after delivery.

Sponsored

Greyrm

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, BMW x5
I'm just so happy that we can now argue over real stuff with the Rivian rather than asking when we will see any news / pictures etc. On the downside , I'm now having to reserve 30 minutes+ every day to sift through all of the news / forums :)

Surfnturf

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tunda, GMC Yukon
Occupation
Self Employed
I have been going back and forth as well but I can see its use for many things outside of the camp kitchen. I plan to put my golf clubs in there and also some tools and saws and coolers etc (assuming my clubs will fit with the shuttle). I'd much rather place them on the shuttle then try and throw them in there and risk denting the surrounding area. And will save you walking around the truck as you probably can't load everything in from one side. As an existing truck owner I generally park further away in parking lots for ease of entry and exit so I most likely will have space to extend the shuttle. Sure I can live with out it but for the extra convenience I think it will be worth it over time. I also like the idea that it will be fully waterproof and protected from weather where as I am not 100% sure the tonneau cover will be. Totally convincing myself its worth it as I continue to write......

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I’m not planning to get the shuttle. Frankly, I can reach for anything in that tunnel. I also have a 9yo that will be very happy to crawl in there to get it if I can’t.. ;)

If I change my mind, I’d definitely build one. I’ve been a woodworker since 5 and honestly there isn’t anything here than can’t be done in my shop. If I need a metal component, my brother will be happy to make it for me. Even the camp kitchen itself can be built. The stove top is just a Dometic product that you can buy for ~$500. The sink and other components are easily sourced from Amazon. The only thing that looks sorta custom is that water tank. I suspect they had that made by Rotopax.
Awesome to hear about your shop.
do you make any of those wooden fishing lures?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Saw a guy on you tube who makes them. Really awesome looking.
I'm not much into fishing but, since moving to Colorado, I've been thinking of at least trying fly fishing. I googled wooden lures, some interesting things there. I mostly do woodturning these days but that does look interesting.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
The Shuttle/Kitchen plugs into the existing 120V outlet in the tunnel. Not connected to the DC battery and the outlet is already controlled by the UI. No big deal on the connection itself, only area to watch is the cable management on a home built rig.
This response had me curious... where are the 120v plug ins in the Gear Tunnel?

I assume near the outside edges, but given the response from @DucRider on this, and the image shared today of the inside of a tunnel with the shuttle in it, it seems like there must be more in the middle of the tunnel?

Or am I seeing the cords plugged into the outlets on the outside edges of the tunnel, and merely routed along the sides of the shuttle sled and popping up un the middle of the sled?

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel Shuttle thoughts? 1633647616641

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This response had me curious... where are the 120v plug ins in the Gear Tunnel?

I assume near the outside edges, but given the response from @DucRider on this, and the image shared today of the inside of a tunnel with the shuttle in it, it seems like there must be more in the middle of the tunnel?

Or am I seeing the cords plugged into the outlets on the outside edges of the tunnel, and merely routed along the sides of the shuttle sled and popping up un the middle of the sled?

1633647616641.png
There is a 12 volt on the front of the drivers side and a 110 on the front of the passenger side. You can see them in the manual.