Gear Tunnel Shuttle thoughts?

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
The review - and comments - on the Camp Kitchen had me thinking about the Gear Tunnel Shuttle, itself a $1500 option that's included with the Camp Kitchen. I didn't see a thread specifically on this feature and wanted to get others thoughts.

Rivian says it's for Camp Kitchen and "a range of products to come". It's weight rated up to 200 pounds (presumably with the adjustable support leg deployed).

I'm trying to imagine this with gear on it - in use. First, it's maybe 4" thick so you lose height in the tunnel. It extends 2' to 6'...the R1T is about 7' wide...so that's the full width of the tunnel - which means that about 1/3 of that is moving what was easily reached on the driver side over to the passenger side. If you're parked up/downslope then things will slide off (witness the rocks on the Camp Kitchen). Maybe if it had a basket / tray shape...or maybe there could be a basket or tray that sat ON the Shuttle.

So you'll need 6' of clearance on the passenger side. OK. And the leg adjusts for height. OK. And the Shuttle can be operated one handed. OK. So...you have clearance...you slide it out with one hand....you're holding as much as 100 lbs in that hand at a certain height (does it pivot at full extension?) and with your other hand you're reaching under to deploy the support leg AND adjust it's height...all while supporting the weight in your other hand. I'm in the PNW so it's now raining (snowing in the mountains) on all that "gear" :)

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but for "gear"...I think I'd be better off without the Shuttle. Is it easily removable? No mention on the site...haven't seen it mentioned...curious if anyone knows.

So for "gear"...I'm thinking no thank you. So for what other "products" might you conceivably want this Shuttle? I think we established (thank you Bloomberg!) that the R1T isn't a "work truck" so probably no Dewalt/Festool contractor work center...and 200 lbs would be pretty lightweight (my Dewalt Miter Saw stand supports 500 lbs). A ski waxing table? Vices, plug in for heater, just don't smack the truck with the ends. What else?

I am trying to justify getting this on it's own to lower (for me) the perceived cost of the Camp Kitchen, but I'm struggling.
Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
I don’t know if it is removable, but I think it would come handy to pull 200 lbs of gear out to access a specific item, instead of emptying all that gear to get the item in the middle of the pack. For example, if you have a fresh water jerrycan stored there, lifting and pulling that out may be tough for some people with back problem, without the shuttle.

Also, I think it may double down as a picnic table or support for a table. $1500? I guess that is questionable. I probably will not select that if I am not getting the kitchen, although I have a sensitive back.

I imagine or guess that it may be added later on possibly in case you feel you needed later on.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Maybe I'm just not getting it, but for "gear"...I think I'd be better off without the Shuttle. Is it easily removable? No mention on the site...haven't seen it mentioned...curious if anyone knows.
The official word is no, it is not. It will need to be installed and removed by a service technician. At least this is what my Guide told me. That said, I'm sure that you could remove it yourself with some effort.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
A camp kitchen shaped cooler (or since you have power in there, why not have it be a fridge) would be pretty awesome on the shuttle. It would weigh enough that the shuttle would be helpful. And if designed right, you could access it from inside the cabin too.

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I think the gear shuttle is going to be a highly personal use item. I don't think it will be helpful for snowboards, duffle bags, etc. But if you're going to be using the gear tunnel for groceries, shopping trips, smaller things, it might be nice to have easier access to the further reaches.

I'm really excited to see how these spaces and features are going to end up being used. I feel like as the trucks get out into the world, folks are going to find all sorts of creative uses that haven't even been thought of

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
The review - and comments - on the Camp Kitchen had me thinking about the Gear Tunnel Shuttle, itself a $1500 option that's included with the Camp Kitchen. I didn't see a thread specifically on this feature and wanted to get others thoughts.

Rivian says it's for Camp Kitchen and "a range of products to come". It's weight rated up to 200 pounds (presumably with the adjustable support leg deployed).

I'm trying to imagine this with gear on it - in use. First, it's maybe 4" thick so you lose height in the tunnel. It extends 2' to 6'...the R1T is about 7' wide...so that's the full width of the tunnel - which means that about 1/3 of that is moving what was easily reached on the driver side over to the passenger side. If you're parked up/downslope then things will slide off (witness the rocks on the Camp Kitchen). Maybe if it had a basket / tray shape...or maybe there could be a basket or tray that sat ON the Shuttle.

So you'll need 6' of clearance on the passenger side. OK. And the leg adjusts for height. OK. And the Shuttle can be operated one handed. OK. So...you have clearance...you slide it out with one hand....you're holding as much as 100 lbs in that hand at a certain height (does it pivot at full extension?) and with your other hand you're reaching under to deploy the support leg AND adjust it's height...all while supporting the weight in your other hand. I'm in the PNW so it's now raining (snowing in the mountains) on all that "gear" :)

So for "gear"...I'm thinking no thank you. So for what other "products" might you conceivably want this Shuttle? I think we established (thank you Bloomberg!) that the R1T isn't a "work truck" so probably no Dewalt/Festool contractor work center...and 200 lbs would be pretty lightweight (my Dewalt Miter Saw stand supports 500 lbs). A ski waxing table? Vices, plug in for heater, just don't smack the truck with the ends. What else?

I am trying to justify getting this on it's own to lower (for me) the perceived cost of the Camp Kitchen, but I'm struggling.
If I recall correctly, Rivian says that service would have to remove it. In one of the videos I’ve seen the engineer says it’s bolted in, so I would think not that hard to remove yourself. I currently have the Camp Kitchen configured but still waiting for hands on to actually see and asses it. We’ll be keeping our R1T for a long time, so maybe between the kitchen, the sled and snow peak set, maybe a decent value.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
We're already thinking about ways to customize the gear tunnel for our hobby, which is nature photography. Our heavy long-legged tripods will have a very happy home in there. I'm thinking about an additional shelf across the entire length to allow for tripods underneath and camera cases above.
We also need ALL the space with can get, so a gear slide-out taking up space is not something we want. Nothing we're planning on having in there will be too heavy to easily take in and out.
It will be fun to see how people use and customize the tunnel!! Many possibilities. ? As previously mentioned, uses will depend on specific needs and activities.
After we start getting our R1Ts, we'll have to make a thread about Gear Tunnel Mods. ;)

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
... But if you're going to be using the gear tunnel for groceries, shopping trips, smaller things, it might be nice to have easier access to the further reaches ...

Unless you bought like all of a Supermarket out, odds are one will be using the frunk to hold groceries, followed likely by the tunnel (if at all). It's already been shown that the R1T has a plethora of storage locations to use. I doubt they'll be concerned of a lack of a Gear Shuttle for their grocery carrying needs.

Gear shuttle are going to likely go for someone that will frequently need to use that to slide out for features such as the Camp Kitchen, a DJ booth (as someone pointed above), maybe even a table to do some handy work with power tools, and any other future accessories Rivian may come out with (refrigeration units?). Anyone not using those, will like not get the Gear Shuttle (note: I said likely, not absolutely).

JEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 2016 Volvo S60
Occupation
Technical Support
Here's a shot of the rails of gear shuttle inside the gear tunnel when camp kitchen is extended out. Looks like it would need to be well secured to handle the cantilevered weight.

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel Shuttle thoughts? Gear Tunnel shuttl

Sponsored

OP
OP
KeithPleas

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Here's a shot of the rails of gear shuttle inside the gear tunnel when camp kitchen is extended out. Looks like it would need to be well secured to handle the cantilevered weight.
Great shot - very helpful! I suspect that it IS capable of handling 200 lbs (perhaps evenly distributed) so per my my initial post...would probably be easier to extend and then stabilize with the leg than I imagined.

I think the 200 lbs capacity might be higher with the support leg and I was trying to imagine this as a bench seat...but it seems a little high for a seat and a little low for a table.

I'm not quite sure where folks shop but the idea of extending this 6' in a grocery store parking lot doesn't seem realistic. Heck, I'd have to plan ahead to even do it in my driveway.

I appreciate all the responses!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Great shot - very helpful! I suspect that it IS capable of handling 200 lbs (perhaps evenly distributed) so per my my initial post...would probably be easier to extend and then stabilize with the leg than I imagined.

I think the 200 lbs capacity might be higher with the support leg and I was trying to imagine this as a bench seat...but it seems a little high for a seat and a little low for a table.

I'm not quite sure where folks shop but the idea of extending this 6' in a grocery store parking lot doesn't seem realistic. Heck, I'd have to plan ahead to even do it in my driveway.

I appreciate all the responses!
It isn’t 6’ long. It’s maybe 5’. The gear tunnel is 65”.

The expense in the gear shuttle is likely driven by the slides(look up what 200lbs rated full extension slides like this cost on mcmaster-car), the labour to install it, and the wiring.

Based on the slides they appear to be using, it can probably handle more than 200lbs, but the end would sag. I suspect the leg is there not because it can’t handle the weight of things, but just for added stability. Wouldn’t want your campstove or mitre saw moving up and down, after all.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired
I suspect that there will be many aftermarket slides, at half the cost. So give it a little time, and you will be able to get something better for less money.

$1500 is a lot of money for slide like that, can't imagine it costing more that $300 to make.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I suspect that there will be many aftermarket slides, at half the cost. So give it a little time, and you will be able to get something better for less money.

$1500 is a lot of money for slide like that, can't imagine it costing more that $300 to make.
Then you have a rusty imagination. I priced 26" drawer glides with 440 LB rating at McMaster-Carr at $461. 26" was the longest they offered. I'd expect longer glides to be to be at least that much, even with a lower rating. That's just 1 part to make the sled. There are electrical parts as well. You can see the cable management bit in the center of the photo. I'd put the actual material cost at $800.

I agree that aftermarket sleds would be less money, but it will be a lesser sled. Probably not have the electrical connection for example.

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
I'm guessing you've never tried to build something similar before... a pair of heavy duty slides [the metal portion that enables something to slide in and out] alone can be more than $300. I realize that buying in bulk will probably yield better pricing.

My personal experience in building this type of stuff from scratch is that high quality components are shockingly expensive. It wouldn't surprise me if you tried to duplicate this yourself, with equal quality components, and placing no value on your own time, you'd still be looking at $1,000+ just to build.

I'm sure you can find lower quality components, etc. and do it for less--and of course, I haven't seen the Rivian one myself either, so can't comment on their selection of components.
Sponsored