Sponsored

Gear Tunnel Dimensions

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Reading that the gear tunnel is stated to have an 18.1 inch width and 20.3 inch height. I guess maybe that's true if you're inside and measuring at an angle for the width. However, the door being an odd shape, in terms of straight up and down, if you have a solid object that measures 18.1" x 20.3", it's not going to fit.

I made a very rude and crude cardboard cut out and measured in most possible directions.

Realistically, if you have a solid object that can't be tilted, you're going to be limited to "roughly" 17" in height and "roughly" just 8 5/8th inches in width.

If you can tilt it at an angle, you lose about an inch in height (roughly 16") due to the angle, but can increase the width to about 11 inches. If the item is less than 15 inches tall, then you could squeeze close to a 15" x 12" solid object through the door at an angle, assuming it to be a solid rectangular object.
You could also get about a 12" x 12" solid object in without tilting it.

All rough estimates, but should be within 1/4".

EDIT: To add, with the doors closed, the interior width of the gear tunnel from door to door is 64 1/2 inches.

I posted a while back, after the first mile event I went to several months ago that it looked smaller than what I thought it would be. Now I understand why. Great feature still, but object sizes will be limited beyond using it for suitcases or duffle bags. Figured I'd share my crude results in case it's helpful to anyone else planning ahead for what they can get into their future Rivian.

I was really liking the idea of the gear tunnel shuttle, but, from Rivian's photos, looks like that cost you at least a couple more inches in height.

I had hoped that an EcoFlow Delta Pro would fit easily based on the dimension's provided by Rivian. It's 19 inches in height. Appeared there would be plenty of room (based on the stated 20.3 inch height by Rivian). But, it won't make it through the door. Lose at least 3 inches to the latch. The Delta Pro is 11 inches in width as well, so would be able to tilt it sideways to squeeze it in width wise, but wouldn't make it on height. So, back to the drawing board on that plan.

Rude and crude photo of cardboard cutout attached.

Rivian R1T R1S Gear Tunnel Dimensions 1654684549418
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The inside of the tunnel is physically larger than the opening. Maybe you could take apart the device and rebuild it in the gear tunnel like a ship in a bottle.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Did you by chance measure the gear tunnel length? For the life of me, I can't find a reliable answer. Curious what the max length of skis that would fit... seems around 6' or 182cm? Maayyyybe 185cms if propped up on an angle?

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Did you by chance measure the gear tunnel length? For the life of me, I can't find a reliable answer. Curious what the max length of skis that would fit... seems around 6' or 182cm? Maayyyybe 185cms if propped up on an angle?
With gear tunnel doors closed, it's 64 1/2 inches (163.83 cm) wide, give or take an 1/8th inch.
If you want to angle something from top on one side to bottom on the other, gets you right about 66 3/4 inches (169.54 cm).

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Amazing, thanks! Guess I'll need a plan B for skis (or take up snowboarding?), but the rest of the family should be good. Appreciate it, as will many more I think.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Have a pair on the reservation, but was thinking for more secure storage when away from the truck... Out of sight and all that!
I guess your only option for that would be to open the gear tunnel door in the back seat and slide the skis partially into the gear tunnel with the ski's coming through between the seats. If you need them secured and they're too big to fit anywhere else.

STAGR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Freight Logistics
Reading that the gear tunnel is stated to have an 18.1 inch width and 20.3 inch height. I guess maybe that's true if you're inside and measuring at an angle for the width. However, the door being an odd shape, in terms of straight up and down, if you have a solid object that measures 18.1" x 20.3", it's not going to fit.

I made a very rude and crude cardboard cut out and measured in most possible directions.

Realistically, if you have a solid object that can't be tilted, you're going to be limited to "roughly" 17" in height and "roughly" just 8 5/8th inches in width.

If you can tilt it at an angle, you lose about an inch in height (roughly 16") due to the angle, but can increase the width to about 11 inches. If the item is less than 15 inches tall, then you could squeeze close to a 15" x 12" solid object through the door at an angle, assuming it to be a solid rectangular object.
You could also get about a 12" x 12" solid object in without tilting it.

All rough estimates, but should be within 1/4".

EDIT: To add, with the doors closed, the interior width of the gear tunnel from door to door is 64 1/2 inches.

I posted a while back, after the first mile event I went to several months ago that it looked smaller than what I thought it would be. Now I understand why. Great feature still, but object sizes will be limited beyond using it for suitcases or duffle bags. Figured I'd share my crude results in case it's helpful to anyone else planning ahead for what they can get into their future Rivian.

I was really liking the idea of the gear tunnel shuttle, but, from Rivian's photos, looks like that cost you at least a couple more inches in height.

I had hoped that an EcoFlow Delta Pro would fit easily based on the dimension's provided by Rivian. It's 19 inches in height. Appeared there would be plenty of room (based on the stated 20.3 inch height by Rivian). But, it won't make it through the door. Lose at least 3 inches to the latch. The Delta Pro is 11 inches in width as well, so would be able to tilt it sideways to squeeze it in width wise, but wouldn't make it on height. So, back to the drawing board on that plan.

Rude and crude photo of cardboard cutout attached.

1654684549418.png
Do you happen to know the height from the mounting floor to the door opening?

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
I found it to be 2 boxes of liquor and 2 cases of wine long, and exactly the right height and width for them. One case of wine needed to be tilted so next time I will put it in last for ease of removal.

Sponsored