Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hello fellows,

I believe that you are referring to the "normal" XC40 Recharge? That is a transition Hybrid car that, here in Europe, has already been replaced by the XC40 Recharge P8, which is fully electric and a fantastic car to drive, especially if you don't need a lot of space.
It has 408HP and 450Km of range. It can charge up to 150Kwh.
I drove it for a few days as a text drive and I can say that it is a very nice car.
More information here

I drive a Volvo XC90 D5, my 3rd XC90 in fact, and I still love this car.
I will either buy and R1S (if it becomes available in Europe) or an XC90 EV. I doubt that the R1S will have the attention to detail that Volvo has shown in the latest models, which are just superb in many aspects.

Regards.
Nope, I'm specifically referring to the p8 as it's labelled in Europe. It has an EPA range if roughly 210 miles or something here. Which is a fair amount below most it's competition. Acceleration is great. Charging speed and range is subpar. Particularly for the price.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hello fellows,

I believe that you are referring to the "normal" XC40 Recharge? That is a transition Hybrid car that, here in Europe, has already been replaced by the XC40 Recharge P8, which is fully electric and a fantastic car to drive, especially if you don't need a lot of space.
I drove it for a few days as a text drive and I can say that it is a very nice car.
More information here

I will either buy and R1S (if it becomes available in Europe) or an XC90 EV. I doubt that the R1S will have the attention to detail that Volvo has shown in the latest models, which are just superb in many aspects.

Regards.
In the USA, the XC40 Recharge is a BEV -- not a PHEV.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/v/cars/xc40-electric

Daedalus

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Acura MDX - R1S Preorder
Hello fellows,

More information here

Regards.
I am going to be changing my car (12 year old Acura MDX) and will be switching to a similarly sized EV.
In terms of popular choices, I never liked the shape of the Tesla Model X and the ostentatious (flashy) falcon wing doors. That said, I was attracted to the sober styling (and I must admit mature leadership) of Rivian (visually, I liken it to a Land Rover styling).
I have always admired the Volvo XC90 and hearing the news about a potential release of the EV version of the XC90 next year has given me a lot to think about (hopefully they do not screw it up like BMW iX...without a usable frunk).
On the plus side (which other brands need to emulate), Tesla has the range, performance, safety and Charging infrastructure - due to its pioneering position in the market, they have also endured (valuable) teething pains and refined their models to correct initial problems, but , as I stated, I hate some of their design choices.
I tend to keep my car for 10+ years, as such, I hope that a well tested Rivian (probably one of the most rigorously tested new brands) or a trusted brand like the Volvo will meet the range, F&F, styling and charging network requirements that I am looking for in my next car.

P.s. Minimum Range for me is 350 Miles per charge. Also, I am a huge fan of Android Auto.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Slow to start is not unusual with sensus. 3 to 5 minutes is weird.
I have a 2015 XC60, and my experience is similar to SeaGeo's. It takes a few seconds to open most every time. Every once in a while, the XM/Sirius takes a while to reload, sometimes rebooting mid-drive, but the rest of the features work during this time. The only really negative experience I've had was a few months back when it said it was reloading XM. When the music came back on, the volume was set to full. It sounded like a bomb going off. I had to brake hard and pull to the side of the road. As it takes a few seconds for the system to turn off, I simply turned the volume knob to 0. After releasing the knob, it went right back to full high within two seconds.

I'm not kidding when I say two months later, I still have ringing in my ears. Because I couldn't get it to replicate that problem when I went directly to the dealership, there was nothing they could do. They said they'd never heard of that problem before and, luckily (so far), it's never happened again. I tried to contact someone, anyone, at Volvo's Corporate Offices with zero luck.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2015 XC60, and my experience is similar to SeaGeo's. It takes a few seconds to open most every time. Every once in a while, the XM/Sirius takes a while to reload, sometimes rebooting mid-drive, but the rest of the features work during this time. The only really negative experience I've had was a few months back when it said it was reloading XM. When the music came back on, the volume was set to full. It sounded like a bomb going off. I had to brake hard and pull to the side of the road. As it takes a few seconds for the system to turn off, I simply turned the volume knob to 0. After releasing the knob, it went right back to full high within two seconds.

I'm not kidding when I say two months later, I still have ringing in my ears. Because I couldn't get it to replicate that problem when I went directly to the dealership, there was nothing they could do. They said they'd never heard of that problem before and, luckily (so far), it's never happened again. I tried to contact someone, anyone, at Volvo's Corporate Offices with zero luck.
I didn't realize it went that far back with the xc60. The system with the CMA platform vehicles (big screen) started out stupidly slow on startup, but I thought had gotten better in recent years. I have to wait probably a minute after startup just to adjust anything in the car, and the cross traffic alert is slower still. But once it's loaded it's pretty snappy.

Sponsored

rtdias

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 D5, Volvo XC40, Audi Q2
Occupation
IT
Nope, I'm specifically referring to the p8 as it's labelled in Europe. It has an EPA range if roughly 210 miles or something here. Which is a fair amount below most it's competition. Acceleration is great. Charging speed and range is subpar. Particularly for the price.
Got you.

Yes, Volvo has played quite a bit with EPA vs WLTP range standards in their marketing materials, which is very questionable.
I think that the XC40 being boxy, relatively small as it is (and quite heavy), is probably a pefect car for European urban environments. Certainly not a long distance commuter.
Yopu are right about the range. Not as good as announced and I suspect their motors are not very efficient.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have always admired the Volvo XC90 and hearing the news about a potential release of the EV version of the XC90 next year has given me a lot to think about (hopefully they do not screw it up like BMW iX...without a usable frunk).
The XC40 BEV doesn't have a frunk, so it's possible Volvo isn't prioritizing that as a feature. Of course, the XC40 is CMA and XC90 is SPA, so maybe Volvo can figure it out for the XC60/90 where they couldn't for the XC40. However, they're at a disadvantage because they're trying to retrofit a platform developed for ICE powertrains.

On the plus side (which other brands need to emulate), Tesla has the range, performance, safety and Charging infrastructure - due to its pioneering position in the market, they have also endured (valuable) teething pains and refined their models to correct initial problems, but , as I stated, I hate some of their design choices.
Those are some rose-colored glasses you're wearing! Tesla has the benefit of time in the market, but I don't give them hardly any credit for teething pains or refining their design because they have been so stubborn; they refuse to learn from their mistakes.

I tend to keep my car for 10+ years, as such, I hope that a well tested Rivian (probably one of the most rigorously tested new brands) or a trusted brand like the Volvo will meet the range, F&F, styling and charging network requirements that I am looking for in my next car.

P.s. Minimum Range for me is 350 Miles per charge. Also, I am a huge fan of Android Auto.
Volvo will give you Android Auto. It will be interesting to see what the range will be. The XC40 range has been disappointing to some... Although that's a much smaller vehicle, so there is less room for the battery, and it's positioned as a "city SUV" so Volvo may not have prioritized range, anyway.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

XC90 EV would be great, XC40 Recharge with 4000lb towing would be better. If that existed we’d have one in our driveway. If the BEV XC90 comes close to R1S in price I could see it really getting cross shopped by many consumers.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

XC90 EV would be great, XC40 Recharge with 4000lb towing would be better. If that existed we’d have one in our driveway. If the BEV XC90 comes close to R1S in price I could see it really getting cross shopped by many consumers.
Like many here, I am an owner and a fan of the Volvo XC line. I've driven the XC40 Recharge and loved it. That said, I agree that it will most likely land as an urban car, and likely be more popular in Europe than here. It is small, but will be a hit with many. Doesn't seem a good candidate for towing much weight, but many will love it.

If the XC90 EV has reasonable range and towing capacity, it may be competitive in the market with the R1S. However, it's not really designed for anything offroad, other than grass or gravel parking areas for concerts or kid's soccer games. Capable of logging roads and muddy passes? Maybe. Likely ever to be used that way? I doubt it....

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Like many here, I am an owner and a fan of the Volvo XC line. I've driven the XC40 Recharge and loved it. That said, I agree that it will most likely land as an urban car, and likely be more popular in Europe than here. It is small, but will be a hit with many. Doesn't seem a good candidate for towing much weight, but many will love it.

If the XC90 EV has reasonable range and towing capacity, it may be competitive in the market with the R1S. However, it's not really designed for anything offroad, other than grass or gravel parking areas for concerts or kid's soccer games. Capable of logging roads and muddy passes? Maybe. Likely ever to be used that way? I doubt it....
I agree on all points. We have an ‘05 XC90 that my partner loves dearly. I was able to make the argument for the R1S solely due to a few shortcomings of the XC40 (like the 2000 lb towing). If a BEV XC90 comes to market before the R1S, there could be one in my driveway. Logging roads are the extent of our off-road journeys. We were brought into the fold of the R1S for reasons beyond rock crawling and I’m sure the same is true for many other pre-orders.

Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2

My wife and I test drove the XC40 Recharge the other day and enjoyed it a lot. She would be the primary driver, mostly for trips around town, or certainly < 100 miles. We’re really considering that, but it seems to have a lot of growing pains re: Android Auto and being Volvo’s first EV. Maybe I’ll wait when they release the 2022 and see what‘s different…

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
I agree on all points. We have an ‘05 XC90 that my partner loves dearly. I was able to make the argument for the R1S solely due to a few shortcomings of the XC40 (like the 2000 lb towing). If a BEV XC90 comes to market before the R1S, there could be one in my driveway. Logging roads are the extent of our off-road journeys. We were brought into the fold of the R1S for reasons beyond rock crawling and I’m sure the same is true for many other pre-orders.
That's me, too! I am assuming a BEV XC90 will still be 7-pax. If both vehicles are comparable in terms of specs (range, features, etc.) and price, I won't hesitate to jump into a Volvo.

GR

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
I didn't realize it went that far back with the xc60. The system with the CMA platform vehicles (big screen) started out stupidly slow on startup, but I thought had gotten better in recent years. I have to wait probably a minute after startup just to adjust anything in the car, and the cross traffic alert is slower still. But once it's loaded it's pretty snappy.
I have a 2020 XC90, and indeed the Sensus has been updated since the first 2016 model. I believe it was updated starting 2018 MY. It takes less than 15 sec. to boot up.

XC90 EV is my alternate choice to R1S.
That's me, too! I am assuming a BEV XC90 will still be 7-pax. If both vehicles are comparable in terms of specs (range, features, etc.) and price, I won't hesitate to jump into a Volvo.

GR
I would assume Volvo's EV will have better on road performance than the R1S. Look at the Concept XC90 replacement. It has the design much like the Cadillac Lyriq -300+ miles on a smaller battery pack.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I am going to be changing my car (12 year old Acura MDX) and will be switching to a similarly sized EV.
In terms of popular choices, I never liked the shape of the Tesla Model X and the ostentatious (flashy) falcon wing doors. That said, I was attracted to the sober styling (and I must admit mature leadership) of Rivian (visually, I liken it to a Land Rover styling).

350 miles of range? Where will you get that?

maybe from Tesla if they can solve the new 4680 beer can batteries. Until then. It’s a long wait for that.